I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The (very small) Cuvée René line is the only thing that is even remotely decent from Lindemans. Everything else they make barely even qualifies as lambic IMO... their "main" lambics (eg their framboise and kriek) taste far more like cough syrup than anything... certainly nothing even remotely like an artisanal beer worthy of the time and effort that typically go into a lambic.

That's what I've heard as well and I'm not really into fruit beers of any sort. My understanding that even Lindemans Cuvée René is not the best (or worst) of the style. My exposure to sours is pretty limited. I'd like to sample some others, but Lindemans seems to be the go-to sour for even the good liquor marts around here. I believe Ommegang and Allagash make sours, and I am looking for Cantillon, Hanssens, and Boon. I don't think Russian River gets out to this coast.

Making kraut is insanely easy. There are several thread on the subject on HBT. No reason to waste good geuze on making kraut. Chop cabbage. Add salt, lots of salt. I think it's 5% by weight, but you should double check. The only tricky part is creating an anaerobic environment and it's not that tricky. I use two 2 gallon icing buckets from the grocery store bakery. (Don't tell anyone, but they are usually free for the asking and very handy. ;)) Cabbage and salt go in one bucket, press the cabbage down, plastic wrap, other bucket, and press the heck out of it. Throw some cans or bricks or whatever in the top bucket. When it's soured to your liking, water bath can. Just opened the last pint from this fall a couple days ago. This post has made me hungry and I might have some for breakfast. Now I know what to do with the 8lb cabbage we got for $1.50 at the farmers market.:D
Hmm, I may need to do this this summer. The icing buckets also make good fermentation buckets. Small batch homebrewers use then all the time. :)

That's what I've heard as well and I'm not really into fruit beers of any sort. My understanding that even Lindemans Cuvée René is not the best (or worst) of the style. My exposure to sours is pretty limited. I'd like to sample some others, but Lindemans seems to be the go-to sour for even the good liquor marts around here. I believe Ommegang and Allagash make sours, and I am looking for Cantillon, Hanssens, and Boon. I don't think Russian River gets out to this coast.

I haven't had the Cuvee Rene in years, it used to be very good. Boon is hit and miss. The reguar stuff is sweet, look for Marriage Parfait series. Good like finding Cantillon unless you want to order from Belgium. The Hanssens stuff is way overpriced, the 375mL bottles are around $20 here.

You might live pretty close to Night Shift Brewing. They make some crazy good Berliner Weisse and you should go check them out.

You can get RR Consecration in Philly.

I use two 2 gallon icing buckets from the grocery store bakery. (Don't tell anyone, but they are usually free for the asking and very handy. ;))

I think this secret is out. I've only lucked out once and had a nice counter girl find me one 2-gallon bucket. I'm afraid she must have been fired for for being nice since now there is a crabby old lady there who snarls at me when I ask, as if I were Al Qaeda looking for bomb making materials. I've given up asking at other places but maybe I'll give it another shot. 5 gallon food grade buckets are cheap at Lowes, I wish they sold 2 or 2.5 gallon ones too.

I haven't had the Cuvee Rene in years, it used to be very good. Boon is hit and miss. The reguar stuff is sweet, look for Marriage Parfait series. Good like finding Cantillon unless you want to order from Belgium. The Hanssens stuff is way overpriced, the 375mL bottles are around $20 here.

You might live pretty close to Night Shift Brewing. They make some crazy good Berliner Weisse and you should go check them out.

I checked in at the local liquor mart - they keep Hanssens behind the counter. Price was ridiculous here too, not doing it - $9 for 375mL Cuvee Rene is steep enough thanks! They never heard of Boon; they carry Ommegang but not any of their sours.

I used to live in Cambridge not too far from where Night Shift, but that was before their time. I'll check into them the next time I get up there.

TNGabe said:
Making kraut is insanely easy. There are several thread on the subject on HBT. No reason to waste good geuze on making kraut. Chop cabbage. Add salt, lots of salt. I think it's 5% by weight, but you should double check. The only tricky part is creating an anaerobic environment and it's not that tricky. I use two 2 gallon icing buckets from the grocery store bakery. (Don't tell anyone, but they are usually free for the asking and very handy. ;)) Cabbage and salt go in one bucket, press the cabbage down, plastic wrap, other bucket, and press the heck out of it. Throw some cans or bricks or whatever in the top bucket. When it's soured to your liking, water bath can. Just opened the last pint from this fall a couple days ago. This post has made me hungry and I might have some for breakfast. Now I know what to do with the 8lb cabbage we got for $1.50 at the farmers market.:D

No no no! ;) no water bath canning! That kills all the microbiotics. Sauerkraut juice is an unparalleled health tonic, when fresh. Just kept in a canning jar and refrigerated, kraut will last for at least a month if not two. The salt needs to be kosher or sea salt, iodine is not good. One pound of cabbage for one tablespoon of salt. I like to leave the cores in there as well, they make nice large sauerkraut chunks. It's also awesome of you shred a jalapeño or two, and some carrots. Kimchee is also just awesome.

No no no! ;) no water bath canning! That kills all the microbiotics. Sauerkraut juice is an unparalleled health tonic, when fresh. Just kept in a canning jar and refrigerated, kraut will last for at least a month if not two. The salt needs to be kosher or sea salt, iodine is not good. One pound of cabbage for one tablespoon of salt. I like to leave the cores in there as well, they make nice large sauerkraut chunks. It's also awesome of you shred a jalapeño or two, and some carrots. Kimchee is also just awesome.

I get plenty of health tonic already, Sandor. ;)

Agreed on all points; good salt, no canning. I just need to get off my duff and do this. I'm done teaching in another week, sauerkraut might be my next "brew".

I guess I'll wait until next week to do the banana wine. I want the bananas to be really ripe, even overripe, before I make it. That, and I'm going to do a starter and I'm a little short on time for that if I want to brew tomorrow.

I'm planning on including banana solids in the brew on purpose. I'm hoping to get a nice mouth feel like you get out of rice wine with the extra solids.

It looks like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves are the typical addition for bananas. Almond and vanilla are also popular. I'm not really thrilled with using cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in the banana wine. I do that all the time in cider, so it would be a little repetitive. I may just add some almond and vanilla extract before bottling. Neither flavor will survive active fermentation very well.

It looks like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves are the typical addition for bananas. Almond and vanilla are also popular. I'm not really thrilled with using cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in the banana wine. I do that all the time in cider, so it would be a little repetitive. I may just add some almond and vanilla extract before bottling. Neither flavor will survive active fermentation very well.

Mine is at two years now, and it screams banana and very sweet. A year ago, the banana was there but nothing like it is now. I wish I'd listened and started a batch every 3-6 months.

Mine is at two years now, and it screams banana and very sweet. A year ago, the banana was there but nothing like it is now. I wish I'd listened and started a batch every 3-6 months.
Did yours ferment clear down to 0.990? I would expect that to be pretty dry.

Back home on the farm and I'm going to have to stay here. Just a couple days of being away and hubby is in the hospital on an IV drip. He tries to tell me, when in the past trying to get him to the doctor/hospital, he says "I know how I feel, you don't know how I feel". Says he'll go when he thinks he's ready to go. So stubborn.

I'm thinking, Hello??? I raised 3 babies, 2 of my own and my nephew. Did I know when to get them to the doctor or ER before they could talk? Yes, yes I did. When he won't communicate it's like caring for a baby. There are more ways to tell how he feels than just by what he says. When his eyes won't focus and he's clearly in pain but he says, I'm fine, I'm fine! I know he's not fine. I kept 3 little humans alive for many years, I think I can handle one more. And I don't need his speech capabilities to tell me there is something wrong with him.

Anyway, I'm exhausted from my trip back. Hope everyone else is having a good night. I need sleep.

Back home on the farm and I'm going to have to stay here. Just a couple days of being away and hubby is in the hospital on an IV drip. He tries to tell me, when in the past trying to get him to the doctor/hospital, he says "I know how I feel, you don't know how I feel". Says he'll go when he thinks he's ready to go. So stubborn.

I'm thinking, Hello??? I raised 3 babies, 2 of my own and my nephew. Did I know when to get them to the doctor or ER before they could talk? Yes, yes I did. When he won't communicate it's like caring for a baby. There are more ways to tell how he feels than just by what he says. When his eyes won't focus and he's clearly in pain but he says, I'm fine, I'm fine! I know he's not fine. I kept 3 little humans alive for many years, I think I can handle one more. And I don't need his speech capabilities to tell me there is something wrong with him.

Anyway, I'm exhausted from my trip back. Hope everyone else is having a good night. I need sleep.

Get some rest BL

it did, i mean sweet like a banana liqueur or cordial. Not malty sweet if that wakes sense.
Actually, yes. You mean you are picking up on lots of flavor compounds generally associated with high levels of sugars, but without the actual sugars. So, not exactly sweet but full of things that remind you of sweet things. :) Good mature apple cider has that same property, even if it's dry.

Now, I'm off to make ricotta again. My milk soured.

Cold brewing coffee for another batch of coffee wine. I've only the one bottle right now, and I hate to run out of things.

That actually sounds really good right now....and I don't even like wine :mug:
Yeah, it doesn't really taste like wine. Cold brewing makes sure psuedo-tannins don't over extract. I hot brewed last time. It's good, but this should be better. It will be a day or so before I mix the batch up to ferment.

Actually, yes. You mean you are picking up on lots of flavor compounds generally associated with high levels of sugars, but without the actual sugars. So, not exactly sweet but full of things that remind you of sweet things. :) Good mature apple cider has that same property, even if it's dry.

Now, I'm off to make ricotta again. My milk soured.

Yes, that is what I meant to say, had I known how to say it :mug:

I will bank that description and use it later.

Today I pitched wine yeast to my first apple cider. I do want it to finish dry but have the flavors LG described. US-05, then EC-1118 a week later. Fermentation was still going but very slowly when I pitched the new yeast, now fermenting more actively. I think LG said I could expect about 12.3 ABV. I think that's good to use as a mixer.

Got some good sleep last night and feeling back on track today. The berries are turning! Scouted for blackberries today and looking very good. Not too many black ones this early in the season but tons and tons of green and red ones. I think we'll have an awesome crop. By next Monday, there should be more than we could ever pick in a day, well I hope, if the rain keeps up...

Today I pitched wine yeast to my first apple cider. I do want it to finish dry but have the flavors LG described. US-05, then EC-1118 a week later. Fermentation was still going but very slowly when I pitched the new yeast, now fermenting more actively. I think LG said I could expect about 12.3 ABV. I think that's good to use as a mixer.

Got some good sleep last night and feeling back on track today. The berries are turning! Scouted for blackberries today and looking very good. Not too many black ones this early in the season but tons and tons of green and red ones. I think we'll have an awesome crop. By next Monday, there should be more than we could ever pick in a day, well I hope, if the rain keeps up...
That sounds about right based on what you said was in it, and the typical gravity of mass produced apple juice.

I hope you have a truly excellent crop. Maybe then you will have enough left over to do some blackberry wine. :)

All I have a strong heavy stout in the primary right now what is you all feelings on the o2 removing caps? I already ordered them. I just wanting to know what brews are the best to use those if at all? There is a lot of conflicting info out there.

BobbiLynn said:

I've made two batches of apfelwein, and they didn't look anything at all like beer while fermenting.

image-222262009.jpg

Miker,

Can't help you with the caps, haven't used them myself. Have always used regular caps and haven't had a problem. They usually are not a significant expense. Could go the flip top bottle route. I have had some excellent long term storage with Grolsch bottles and new gaskets.

Getting read to start a Capsicumel Mead this week. Tossed the recipe up on the Mead Forum to get some last minute guidance.

Here are the ingredients and thread link if your interested.

Ingredients
15 lbs of Clover honey
5 Anahiem Peppers (Sliced, Seeds and Stems Removed)
5 Jalapeno Peppers (Sliced, Seeds and Stems Removed)
10 Serano Peppers (Sliced, Seeds and Stems Removed)
5 tsp yeast nutrients
2.5 tsp yeast energizer
5 campden tablets (or 1/4 tsp. potassium metabisulphite)
1 packet of Lalvin K1V-1116 yeast.

All I have a strong heavy stout in the primary right now what is you all feelings on the o2 removing caps? I already ordered them. I just wanting to know what brews are the best to use those if at all? There is a lot of conflicting info out there.
That's what I use. If you normally sanitize your caps, skip that. The oxygen absorbing chemical on the caps reacts with water. Once you have everything capped, just give each bottle a little shake to make sure the brew comes into contact with the absorber on the back of the cap and gets it working.

That's what I use. If you normally sanitize your caps, skip that. The oxygen absorbing chemical on the caps reacts with water. Once you have everything capped, just give each bottle a little shake to make sure the brew comes into contact with the absorber on the back of the cap and gets it working.

I didn't know that. So, the trade off for o2 absorbing is a slight decrease in sanitation?

I didn't know that. So, the trade off for o2 absorbing is a slight decrease in sanitation?
Yup. Though I doubt very seriously you'll ever have a problem because of it.

EDIT: Especially if you pasteurize the bottles. I do whenever I bottle something sweet.

Yup. Though I doubt very seriously you'll ever have a problem because of it.

EDIT: Especially if you pasteurize the bottles. I do whenever I bottle something sweet.

That's a good point. I don't bottle very often, and only started pasteurizing when I started making the rice wine. If you bottled a cider, clean no infections, and did not pasteurize it, would it eventually (years) go to vinegar?

:off: A blonde heard that milk baths would make you beautiful. She left a note for her milkman to leave 15 gallons of milk. When the milkman read the note he felt there must be a mistake. He thought she probably meant 1.5 gallons, so knocked on the door to clarify the point.

The blonde came to the door and the milkman said,

“I found your note to leave 15 gallons of milk. Did you mean 15 gallons or 1.5 gallons?”

The blonde said, “I want 15 gallons. I’m going to fill my bathtub
up with milk and take a milk bath.”

The milkman said, “Pasteurized?”

The blonde said, “No, just up to my tits.”

That's a good point. I don't bottle very often, and only started pasteurizing when I started making the rice wine. If you bottled a cider, clean no infections, and did not pasteurize it, would it eventually (years) go to vinegar?

:off: A woman heard that milk baths would make you beautiful. She left a note for her milkman to leave 15 gallons of milk. When the milkman read the note he felt there must be a mistake. He thought she probably meant 1.5 gallons, so knocked on the door to clarify the point.

The blonde came to the door and the milkman said,

“I found your note to leave 15 gallons of milk. Did you mean 15 gallons or 1.5 gallons?”

The blonde said, “I want 15 gallons. I’m going to fill my bathtub
up with milk and take a milk bath.”

The milkman said, “Pasteurized?”

The blonde said, “No, just up to my tits.”
:D

With a clean brew and bottling? I doubt it. I've have unpasteurized cider hanging around for 8 months or so and there was no hint of acetic acid. I just pasteurize to keep my bottles from exploding.

I'll be mixing up my coffee wine here shortly.

:D

With a clean brew and bottling? I doubt it. I've have unpasteurized cider hanging around for 8 months or so and there was no hint of acetic acid. I just pasteurize to keep my bottles from exploding.

I'll be mixing up my coffee wine here shortly.

Let us know how the coffee wine comes out. I just starting roasting green beans. How long do you plan to age it?

Let us know how the coffee wine comes out. I just starting roasting green beans. How long do you plan to age it?
About 9 months, that's how long the last batch took to get good. That was made in a 2 quart bottle, but I only bottled 1 750ml bottle. I think I gave the rest of it away as I didn't think it would improve substantially with age.

I'm making a bit more this time. I'm making a full gallon. So I should get 3 bottles out of it. It's pretty good, but IMO more suited to taking the place of a coffee liquor then straight drinking.

There are a few differences with this batch I think will improve the final product. 1. I'm using champagne yeast instead of distillers like the first batch. 2. The coffee is cold brewed and it was just normally brewed coffee last time. 3. No ground coffee is in primary this time.

Depending on how well this comes out, I may end up making a full volume batch. I won't know for a while though.

You know, I almost said "screw the wine I'll drink the coffee". I just started making cold brewed coffee, and I love it. Started another pitcher of it right after mixing up the batch of wine.

Have no idea what's being discussed.

BUT, love this time of night on HBT.
Wife is laying here(doesn't drink so is so sober but tired) Daughter is sipping Homebrew, buzzed and happy. I'm sipping Homebrew buzzed and happy. Who knows what tomorrow brings, I'm armed, happy and ready for the Zombie Apocalypse!!!! Lol

Latest posts

Back