I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it sometime during my last brewing session a week ago. The starsan kind of made it look worse than it is though. Stupid nueropothy though sucks. I broke my foot last year and and had no clue until I took my boots off that night.

Diabetic?

Diabetic?

No but they checked for that. They got no clue why it has happened but both my hands and feet have lost feeling in them. I have broke my back several times and they cannot figure that one out as well either. They did a bone density scan and everything was fine.

I am tired of going into Dr's. Just going to be one of those things I guess we all get to deal with when we get older

I agree that horse is amazing. :ban::ban:

It's raining here, 2 inches overnight, 5 inches yesterday and 2 inches the day before. Washed away my driveway again, where the drain tube thing goes under it for the creek to flow. Big gaping hole, but nephew said it fixed it yesterday. I guess I'll find out today how well of a job he did. Time for my monthly trip to the store. Gonna pick up some more brewing supplies while I'm out.

V-man, love your bottling bucket! Watch those fingers next time!!

Don't ask me why. My partner is in to craft hot sauces.

image-3637639121.jpg

I am working on a small batch to put in my empty mr. beer tub. So what's the point of the boil? Why do I have to boil 60 minutes? Why can't 35 minutes be enough time? I've got a schedule here. :mad:

I am working on a small batch to put in my empty mr. beer tub. So what's the point of the boil? Why do I have to boil 60 minutes? Why can't 35 minutes be enough time? I've got a schedule here. :mad:

Got to get the most out of those hops and burn off the dms. On the bright side though cooling 2 1/2 gallons should not take long

Got to get the most out of those hops and burn off the dms. On the bright side though cooling 2 1/2 gallons should not take long

Alright, I added 25 minutes to the timer. Now about 40 minutes left. Figured I'd do a small batch on the stove top since the rain just won't quit and I'm afraid of the lightning. Yes, cooling will be quick and easy. :)

I saw the national weather today and Lordy it is a storming over Florida today. I really do not like the rain at all. You can keep warm in the snow but it never fails you get wet in the rain

On the plus side, I guess you won't be in drought conditions for a while!

Right! I did add about a pound of LME to the batch, but not much, grain and honey and brown sugar. Well, haven't added the honey yet, gonna add right after I take it off the heat. Just winging it.

Hubby just got back home from the hospital and he is on the phone ordering chickens still in their eggs. Now we must go check the incubator and brooder thing. Wonderful!! :cross:

Don't ask me why. My partner is in to craft hot sauces.

View attachment 103762
I like spicy food, but really? I guess you could use it as a chemical weapon in a pinch...

Hubby just got back home from the hospital and he is on the phone ordering chickens still in their eggs. Now we must go check the incubator and brooder thing. Wonderful!! :cross:
It seems like I should be able to say something clever here about expectations, but I can't quit figure out what.

Leadgolem said:
I like spicy food, but really? I guess you could use it as a chemical weapon in a pinch...

This is the third such sauce he's brought in and I am starting to appreciate them. Very little is used. Last night we made some nacho cheese with it. We put 9 drops on two cups and 3 drops in another. I think it kind of works like hops and high ibus. After a certain amour of heat your body really doesn't perceive any higher. The 9 drops didn't seem to burn much more than the 4. These high Scoville sauces have distinct flavors that you don't find in other sauces. This particular one really is over the top though. For reference, Tapatio is 3,000 Scoville Heat Units.

BobbiLynn said:

Reply my brother-in-law and sister got their kids some as a novelty and the next thing we know they've got a yard full of poultry and have gone through three different renovations in coops. It's amazing what a kid will stick with some times! I actually like it, but my wife is scared to death of fowl. All fowl.

I love me some spicy food. I used to buy habeneros and eat 3 or 4 of them raw with my meals.

My wife put a end to that so now I have to use hot sauce.

This is the third such sauce he's brought in and I am starting to appreciate them. Very little is used. Last night we made some nacho cheese with it. We put 9 drops on two cups and 3 drops in another. I think it kind of works like hops and high ibus. After a certain amour of heat your body really doesn't perceive any higher. The 9 drops didn't seem to burn much more than the 4. These high Scoville sauces have distinct flavors that you don't find in other sauces. This particular one really is over the top though. For reference, Tapatio is 3,000 Scoville Heat Units.

I love me some spicy food. I used to buy habeneros and eat 3 or 4 of them raw with my meals.

I can handle spicy foods, I just don't see the point of a lot of those sauces. A fair number of the really hot ones just seem to be calculated to take your head off without adding much in the way of flavor.

Reply my brother-in-law and sister got their kids some as a novelty and the next thing we know they've got a yard full of poultry and have gone through three different renovations in coops. It's amazing what a kid will stick with some times! I actually like it, but my wife is scared to death of fowl. All fowl.

I thought about raising chickens, or rabbits, after buy my house last April. Then I remembered how fun it was to pluck a chicken. I'm not raising them again, and rabbits are a pita to skin properly.

Leadgolem said:
I can handle spicy foods, I just don't see the point of a lot of those sauces. A fair number of the really hot ones just seem to be calculated to take your head off without adding much in the way of flavor.
Yes, and what's more they often come with a gimmicky price tag as well. I just can't justify spending $15 on a 4 ounce bottle of hot sauce.

bottlebomber said:
Yes, and what's more they often come with a gimmicky price tag as well. I just can't justify spending $15 on a 4 ounce bottle of hot sauce.

This bottle was $18. I told him he was insane. He quickly pointed out that I often will spend $20 on a single bottle of beer. He claims bottle will last years because you use so little in every day use. I know it's a macho thing.

There are certain activities that can be, uh, well, shall we say "memorable" when you have both been eating the really spicy stuff.

I agree that horse is amazing.

You been eating meatballs from Ikea?

What kind of chics are you going to be hatching? Nothing beats a good homegrown broiler!

For reference, Tapatio is 3,000 Scoville Heat Units.

Also makes a nice spicy bloody mary, about 50/50 Tapatio and vodka on ice.

No more meals?

There are certain activities that can be, uh, well, shall we say "memorable" when you have both been eating the really spicy stuff.

Like peeing if you forgot to wash your hands first.

Busy night. Bottled a batch of Cabernet, cleaned the equipment and then bottled the RIS I bottled at the end of October. That ended up at 1.015 with an ABV of 11+% - and more importantly already tastes great. After 2nd clean-up I threw an ounce of Kent Goldings into my English IPA to dry hop. I feel great now but know when I have to get up in 4 1/2 hours it will be much different.

Quit smoking years ago (thankfully) but I still love this song from those days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man I was going to mill my grain for my next batch last night but decided to wait a week or so. Having a pipeline is a wonderful thing but having it so full it is bursting at the seams kind of sucks because I do not brew as often.

I've bottled four batches in the last couple of weeks, but now I'm looking at the empty fermenters and Carboy and having the itch to keep brewing :D For me the problem would be the DIY projects getting in the way.

I hear you. I hate seeing a empty fermenter but dang I got nowhere to put the stuff anymore. For some reason the last few months I just have not been drinking as much. Not that I have been busy or anything I just have not been drinking very much.

Weird huh

I'm in brewery rebuild mode. I keep finding excuses to wait until I finish (insert cool new DIY here) before the next batch. Picking up a keg tomorrow for my bottom draining recirculating RIMS tun. Still waiting on a few pieces. I suppose I could brew on my system the way it is, but where's the fun in that?

I'm in brewery rebuild mode. I keep finding excuses to wait until I finish (insert cool new DIY here) before the next batch. Picking up a keg tomorrow for my bottom draining recirculating RIMS tun. Still waiting on a few pieces. I suppose I could brew on my system the way it is, but where's the fun in that?

I built a new mash tun that is calling me. I have only used it twice once with my mill and once with my local brew store mill. When I did my mill I ended up with pretty much flour and through the roof efficiencies but a almost stuck sparge. I want to tweak my mill a little and see if I can keep the efficiency but speed up the drain a little.

Sigh but I got no room for the beer so I am going to put it off for a bit :eek:

Like I said before, just send it all to me and it'll clear up some room. :)

I'm really hoping this design in working on works out ok. It'll be a lot of time and headache wastes if it doesn't. I'm putting an electric element hooked up to a dimmer after the temp control. That way I theoretically can adjust the amperage of the element manually while still retaining temp control. I'm putting my heating element into my mash tun, under a full width false bottom I'm building. People keep saying it won't work, but noone can tell me why, so I'm going to give it a try.

Like I said before, just send it all to me and it'll clear up some room. :)

I'm really hoping this design in working on works out ok. It'll be a lot of time and headache wastes if it doesn't. I'm putting an electric element hooked up to a dimmer after the temp control. That way I theoretically can adjust the amperage of the element manually while still retaining temp control. I'm putting my heating element into my mash tun, under a full width false bottom I'm building. People keep saying it won't work, but noone can tell me why, so I'm going to give it a try.

Was just running this through my head and I am guessing you are doing this to lengthen the run times on your element hopefully decreasing your temp swings?

I would think that it would work but dialing in the fan control would be difficult I think. If I remember right they do not change the amperage but the voltage and when you drop the voltage a little the amperage drops way more.

Hmm I would wonder about the rheostat that you are using as well. Most fans do not use much power at all and so do not have a very robust rheostat. Using a 1500 watt element for instance with a 100 watt rheostat sounds like a bad thing to me.

Mind you I have not tinkered with anything like that for years and years so I might be wrong. I am trying to remember how we controlled the 100 horse motors on the spud pit fans and it seems like we used a inverter that modified the sine wave. Heck to many years ago :D

I ordered a 120v 20a dimmer on eBay. I'm putting in an ammeter so I can watch the amperage. I want the ability to heat fast, but also be able to stretch out heating during the mash as well. I'll keep the tun recirculating to keep temps steady as well. If it doesn't work perfect, no big loss. I want to stay away from HERMS because I'm going for a 2 vessel.

I'm flooded in after all that rain, 10.5 inches the last couple days. Finally stopped, but the creek is like a river now and flowing right over the driveway, looks deep and current looks strong. By tomorrow it should have receded if the rain stays away. Lots of waterways for it to make it's way to.

I'm like v-man here, running out of room. But I have a small fermenter that I've been storing sanitizer in. I'll move the sanitizer into something else, or dump it, probably re-used it enough. Gonna do a 3 gallon batch while I'm flooded in. A simple IPA. Just got the mash started.

Snaps, don't let them tell you in won't work!!

Not sure what kind of chickens hubby ordered. 2 dozen eggs. They said up to 95% will hatch in the right conditions. And, lucky me, hubby says we are keeping them in the house. I hope he just means while they are still just eggs. He cleaned off a table for them. I'll have to ask him what kind when he gets up and around. I think he said red-something-hens.

I ordered a 120v 20a dimmer on eBay. I'm putting in an ammeter so I can watch the amperage. I want the ability to heat fast, but also be able to stretch out heating during the mash as well. I'll keep the tun recirculating to keep temps steady as well. If it doesn't work perfect, no big loss. I want to stay away from HERMS because I'm going for a 2 vessel.

Be interesting to see if it works. Myself I think it will work as long as 20 amps will heat it up fast enough.

Oh my in my camp trailer I wired a ammeter just because I wanted to know what I was drawing from the batteries all the time. I hate running the generator to charge the batteries so I tend to try and limit any load when on the batteries.

I'm flooded in after all that rain, 10.5 inches the last couple days. Finally stopped, but the creek is like a river now and flowing right over the driveway, looks deep and current looks strong. By tomorrow it should have receded if the rain stays away. Lots of waterways for it to make it's way to.

I'm like v-man here, running out of room. But I have a small fermenter that I've been storing sanitizer in. I'll move the sanitizer into something else, or dump it, probably re-used it enough. Gonna do a 3 gallon batch while I'm flooded in. A simple IPA. Just got the mash started.

Snaps, don't let them tell you in won't work!!

Not sure what kind of chickens hubby ordered. 2 dozen eggs. They said up to 95% will hatch in the right conditions. And, lucky me, hubby says we are keeping them in the house. I hope he just means while they are still just eggs. He cleaned off a table for them. I'll have to ask him what kind when he gets up and around. I think he said red-something-hens.

Stay dry Bobbi. Been watching the weather and it looks downright miserable in FL to me.

By the way chicken is foul meat :D...But I do enjoy eggs every morning

Back