I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a conversation I had at work via IM with a couple coworkers about bacon.
Me [2:54 PM]:

I'm afraid I am going to have to resign from the bacon tribunal.

Friend 1 [2:54 PM]:

You can put the bacon in a mini fridge

ME [2:55 PM]:

My mother can no longer eat bacon, and we won't be keeping any in the house.

Friend 1 [2:55 PM]:

Be sure you know what you are saying my friend

Me [2:55 PM]:

I know, it will be a sad day my friends.

I still have a few pounds of bacon in the freezer, but what that's gone there shall be no more.

I urge the remaining members of the tribunal to start efforts to obtain a replacement for me as soon as possible.

Friend 1 [2:58 PM]:

Blasphemy!

Me [2:59 PM]:

I'm afraid I shall soon pass beyond the realm of bacon. Only to fall into the purgatory of perpetual tofu...

Friend 2 [3:00 PM]:

I suggest we start an emergency supply team to keep "Me" exposed to bacon at work, and since it was a lifetime assignment, there can be no resignations accepted from the tribunal.

Friend 1 [3:00 PM]:

Amen brother "Friend 2"!

Friend 2 [3:02 PM]:

Death is the only acceptable release, and it must be scheduled 6 months in advance!

Friend 1 [3:02 PM]:

Hahahahaha

Me [3:02 PM]:

lol

The turkey bacon is coming gentlemen, you had best prepare for the death of bacon as we know it.

The Bacopocalypse is nigh

In those last days there shall be bacon shortages, and rumors of bacon shortages.

Friend 2 [3:06 PM]:

Only if pigs learn to fly!

Me [3:07 PM]:

And pigs shall take to the wing to flee from the hungry masses.

Those that remain upon the ground shall be so lean as to have no bacon.

Friend 2 [3:07 PM]:

Then we also shall learn to fly.

Me [3:07 PM]:

Woh unto us that shall live through such times

Friend 1 [3:08 PM]:

I'm working on flying now

Me [3:09 PM]:

In those days shall come unto us the anti-butcher. And all shall be forced to wear the sign of the vegetarian or be barred from buying and selling.
I thought you might get a kick out of that.:rockin:

Nor in my house. I love me some bacon in the morning....Sometimes lunch.....Often dinner as well.

I read someones avater and it said something along the lines how wonderful pigs were since they ate grass and turned it into bacon :tank:

Bobbi I thought you were hairless like one of those scary hairless cats.

At a glance, it just appears that way... but it's an illusion. I wonder how a sandwich with peanut butter, bacon and bananas would taste. And what style beer would compliment it. Anyone want to swim over for lunch later?

At a glance, it just appears that way... but it's an illusion. I wonder how a sandwich with peanut butter, bacon and bananas would taste. And what style beer would compliment it. Anyone want to swim over for lunch later?

You had me with the bacon but no thanks to the rest. I am guessing a okra mead would taste about the same :fro:

It'll be okay to dry hop without transferring right? Just lift the airlock and drop in the pellet hops?

Hubby has been home and up and around. He's been working on the incubator, I guess we really are getting chickens. Says they will live in the house until they outgrow the brooders and he gets coops built. Yeah, chickens in the house!! I sure hope his health keeps up. They switched up his chemo to something he can handle better. Funny, after all this chemo, he's still hairy.

He asked me yesterday "why in the world are you brewing more beer?". Both refrigerators full of beer, cases of beer piled up in my room and fermenters going everywhere you look. I really had no answer.

You can just drop them in and I know lots of people who do just that. Since I harvest the yeast though I rack into a secondary and then I am not getting hops in my yeast. That and I can harvest the yeast sooner and put them to sleep in the fridge.

I guess if you wash the yeast though and use a starter it would work.

Here is a conversation I had at work via IM with a couple coworkers about bacon.
I thought you might get a kick out of that.:rockin:

That is great! In my house they call me the Bacomaniac! I love Bacon, all bacons and I have yet to try something with bacon that I don't like.
BACON rocks the world!
:rockin:

My cornflake brew is really horrible. Not much flavor at all, gave me chills tasting it. Just got chills again thinking about tasting it. :(

I have a stout in primary right now that had 1.5lbs of various spiced German Christmas cookies put in the mash. The wort tasted great, but I haven't tasted it post fermentation yet. I'll be bottling it up in a few days.

LOL well I cannot believe some of the things you guys put in beer. All good though I guess if you like it :p

I cleaned some bottles so I guess I am going to have room for another beer if I brew it. My wife is betting I will and she pretty much knows me so I guess I am going to brew tonight. But I am going to show her and brew early and stay sober....Yeah right :mug:

We had a raccoon that used to visit the back window on my house. He had 3 legs. My daughter called him pegleg. Haven't seen him in a long time.

It's funny how you have a dog for so long, name her, play with her, she becomes part of the family, but that critter on the other side of the window just fades away in obscurity, without a history. I do wonder about pegleg sometimes though.

Funny animal stories? I've got one. Up at my folks there are always flocks of turkeys cruising around the woods. One year I noted that there was a chicken with the turkeys. And by golly, he stayed with them for at least two, maybe three years. He must have wandered off and gotten lost, and the turkeys let him hang with them. I'll be darned of the poor fella didn't think he was a turkey. Funniest thing ever.

Not gonna happen in my house buddy. I'm resisting the urge to repeatedly post gratuitous bacon pictures.

That is great! In my house they call me the Bacomaniac! I love Bacon, all bacons and I have yet to try something with bacon that I don't like.
BACON rocks the world!
:rockin:
Unfortunately, I was not joking about not keeping bacon in the house anymore.

I have one of these on my desk at work.
bacon+man.jpg

I'm still debating on whether I should attend the next meating of the Bacon Tribunal.

At the last one I brought homemade chocolate covered bacon, and I've been thinking I should candy it first, then coat in chocolate. The chocolate didn't want to stick to the bacon because of all the oil in the bacon. Plus I'd like to try course Himalayan salt instead of table salt for a topper.

I have around 3 pounds of bacon left, then that's it.

Funny, for a couple years now I've been planning on making a "beer" with chocolate chip granola bars and some amylase, for the hell of it. :D
I would suggest a slightly more traditional approach. Maybe an oat stout recipe for a base, and then dry hop with dutch processed cocoa. I would be concerned you would either get a acidic flavor from baking cocoa, or nothing at all. Dutch processed cocoa should be more compatible with the water, and it has a milder taste.

I have not done my cocoa wine experiment yet though, so I can't really be certain what kind of flavor profile you would end up with.

A full wine rack, 100ish 12 oz bottles and 4 1/2 gallons in primary. I do not need to brew more. I do not need to brew more. I do not need to brew more...

A full wine rack, 100ish 12 oz bottles and 4 1/2 gallons in primary. I do not need to brew more. I do not need to brew more. I do not need to brew more...

I have about 400 ~ 12oz bottles conditioning or aging in my house and 7.5 gallons in ferementers. Yet, if I go longer than 3 or 4 weeks without brewing I feel like I'm falling behind. And I'm the only one who drinks my brew (with the exception of homebrew trades)... I'm excited that I'm finally building a keezer, because storing that amount of bottles has become a challenge. Don't look in my closets, under beds, or behind couch's! :drunk:

I have cases and cases of beer stashed all around the house. I do not need to brew beer but I got the mash started already so I guess I will brew beer.

Man my buddies better drink up at beer and cigar night for the next couple of weeks or I am going to set records with a beer in the fermenter

I don't know what I'm going to do with what's in primary now, but I'm still sitting here thinking of another try at a cherry limeade wine. Now that I know a lot more about what I'm doing.

Well, great news! A truck from the electric company fell through my driveway and into the river. They got towed out and no one was hurt. But they have put flags up everywhere, so I'm pretty sure they are going to come back and fix it. They can't access their power lines without the driveway. Haha! I tried to warn them!

And on have bringing on a great thread title. I'm going to bed guys. May good times and happiness abound you. I have to sleep now.
1.jpg
28.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
29.jpg

Let's see some pics of the truck in the river/driveway.

I thought about bringing the camera in a plastic zip lock bag, but didn't want to risk it on my first trip out. I barely got through on my 4-wheeler to the spot that caved in. Nephew did not do a good job fixing it before more rain like I asked him to. But, not his fault, we didn't know it would keep raining so long. Maybe tomorrow I can at least post pics of the truck tire tracks leading to the river. Which was a creek, but calling it a river now.

I am brewing more beer in the middle of the night. I think you'd call this one a blonde ale, brewing up a 2-gallon batch. It smells delicious. Finished the BIAB mash now starting my boil. So sweet yet so blonde.

Ok I am thinking I am wasting some good sugar in my brews. When I brewed last night I shot for 1.040 SG and hit it dead on. But since I am doing the no sparge method I wondered how much sugar I was leaving behind so once my brewpot was full and on the boil I dumped a gallon of boiling water into the mash tun stirred it up and drained it. That gravity was 1.030. Now I know it was only a gallon but it seems kind of a waste to leave that much sugar behind.

I just dumped the gallon instead of adding it to the brew pot because I did not want a strong beer. Still trying to figure what I can do with the extra sugar I am leaving behind though

Since I put my igloo run together I've been sparging (batch). In fact the Citra smash I did had three spathes so I thing I got the sugar out (final runnings were around 1.01). Batch before that even after sparging I was getting near 1.03 so I ran a few more gallons through and did a 3 gallon batch with that (did add some DME, but not much).

I really hate not getting my full money's worth! :D

Back