I have to dump a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTKBA

Reaction score
I have to dump my first batch. It is a Bavarian wheat extract kit from midwest. I sampled it when it was done fermenting and it tasted good. I wanted something different so I talked to the guy at my LHBS and he recommended using a flavor extract. I got the mango extract and dumped it in at bottling like suggested. Now the beer tastes like complete garbage. I can not even describe how bad it tastes. As soon as it hits the tongue it makes me want to vomit. I have let it sit for 2 months now and it still is just as bad. I am not to upset because it was my first and a learning experience but I do want to make a mango that is drinkable. Any suggestions?.

Go back to your LHBS and smack that guy in the head. Then get another kit and make it per the directions. You know, walk before you run.

If you want to try flavor extracts I would recommend trying them in *part* of the batch, rather than all. As in, when you're bottling add varying amounts of flavor to a few bottles, and see how they come out. The unflavored bottles will of course be good. But the bottles flavored will help you determine what the appropriate level of extract that you like. Once you figure that out, you could then try flavoring a whole batch.

Brian

Avoid those extracts, or dose a drop or three them into the glass when serving instead of the entire batch. That **** is nasty!

Go back to your LHBS and smack that guy in the head. Then get another kit and make it per the directions. You know, walk before you run.

If you want to try flavor extracts I would recommend trying them in *part* of the batch, rather than all. As in, when you're bottling add varying amounts of flavor to a few bottles, and see how they come out. The unflavored bottles will of course be good. But the bottles flavored will help you determine what the appropriate level of extract that you like. Once you figure that out, you could then try flavoring a whole batch.

Brian

Yes! Great advice. Especially the smacking the lhbs guy in the head part. :mug:

Brew some tried and true recipes or kits per the instructions. Get comfortable with the process. Learn what they are supposed to taste like before you start messing with them!!

Did you dump the whole bottle...? I've had luck with adding frozen mangos to batches. Turns out with a nice acidic bite.

Dilute the mango flavor with more beer (by making a second unflavored batch and trying them both out in a glass to see if it's just the strength of the mango flavor.) Try different ratios.

I added raspberry extract to a chocolate stout recipe and had similar results. My brother-in-law said it tasted like perfume - pretty adequate description.

No more flavor extract additions for me...

It's ok to dump beer. I've done it. I'll do it again. If the beer sucks even after you've given it some time to mellow (or tried another reasonable corrective measure), go ahead and dump it. It's your beer.

Yeah. If you can't do anything else with it, it's just taking up space and bottles you could put good beer in.

Although... I'd probably see if I knew anyone who might like it. Just for the sake of not wasting beer if at all possible.

Or better yet! Save it for the people who come over and mooch homebrew all the time! "Beer? Or yeah... it's in the fridge on the bottom shelf. Help yourself!" "D

Thanks for the responses. I think it is just going to get dumped as it is taking up 3 TAD bottles and I am brewing again in the next couple days. I know it was the extract and the perfume description is good. Seriously it is the worst thing I have ever tasted and really does make me and everyone else who has tried it gag.

Is there a better way to get the fruit flavor without using the extract?

Just to let you guys know I bought a clone kit from my LHBS of their harvest pale ale and it turned out excellent. Which is good because after my first batch I was doubting this hobby.

Is there a better way to get the fruit flavor without using the extract?

Use real fruit and juices. You could rack it right onto purred mangos or fresh mango juice for you secondary. It won't be as sweet though but will give a "hint" of the mango taste. If you kegged you could kill off the yeast and backsweeten it with mango juice in the corny.

People seem to have luck with adding actual fruit to the beer in a secondary. The methods for doing this vary quite a bit and often depend on the fruit flavor desired.

I tried once with the extract, never again. There's still bottles of raspberry pisswater sitting on one of my shelves waiting for an unsuspecting mooch. Although I use it for vengeance on the mooches of the world I secretly hope that one day it'll have fixed itself and be delicious, I don't have high hopes of this.

Back