I forgot the LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
in my mini mash More Beer Oatmeal Stout.......

I only forgot 6 pounds of it..... nothing major.... 6 pounds of LME

THats what you get for doing too many things at once.... I was bottling while I was boiling...

It is now in the fermenter, yeast and all....

What to do ? Keep it going ? Fertilize the grass ?

I would add the LME and see what happens. When making mead there will sometimes be an inch or more of honey sitting in the bottom of the carboy. The yeast starts at the top and eats through it. Can't see why they wouldn't do the same with LME.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would try to save it. Pour off about two gallons. Heat the two gallons to about 180° and stir in the LME. Cool and siphon back into the fermentor.

Maybe the siphon won't be necessary if fermentation has not begun.

I agree with flars suggestion as well. Without the 6 lbs of LME you'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 points too light. Not even lawnmower beer. It'll be more like colored water. So, what the heck, add it and hope for the best. Good Luck! :mug:

Another vote for boiling the LME in 2-3 gallons or so of wort and, cooling it down (with a wort chiller if you have one), then putting it back in there.

The majority of the fermentable sugar in an extract/steeped grain-based stout comes from the LME. Most of the sugars that are already in there are unfermentable (I imagine the kit came with maltodextrin, for example, which is an unfermentable sugar). If you don't put the LME in, you might get a beer of 1% ABV or so. Or maybe even below 1%, which legally is not considered an alcoholic beverage.

I'm guessing you don't have a hydrometer because if you'd taken a gravity reading, you probably would have realized you forgot the LME before putting it in your fermenter. But I definitely think your beer can be saved! I'd recommend buying a hydrometer (or if you have one, using it. Ha ha).

Add the LME, either directly, or by heating some wort, or with a little boiled water. We add plenty of things to fermenting beer: hops, sugar, spices, honey, fruit. You will save your brew.

Thanks for all of the replies.... I usually have a beer or two while I brew, this time I didnt...:mug:

I'd add it in as well. Who knows, maybe you discovered a new way to make beer?

-ben

Latest posts

Back