FORGOT TO PURGE INLINE BEER FILTER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoundboundCo

Reaction score
What’s up yall. Just a quick question, nothing major. I was doing a closed transfer today from fermenter to keg and I was using my inline beer filter during the process. Normally I purge the filter of any oxygen of course, but forgot to do so this time. Do y’all think there will be any negative results from this uh oh this time around?

no . i dont think it will be noticable. i brewed beer for years back in the 80's when a little o2 was no big deal. or at least we didnt know it was. remember palmer used to say just try to keep splashing to a minimum. so i would think a little in the filter shouldnt make a noticeable difference?

lodo guys will def disagree.

what style? If it was something hoppy it's not ideal. Something like a malty stout or belgian dubbel, won't matter as much.

as long as you purged the headspace in the keg a few times shouldn't be too bad.

closed transfers are great, but O2 in the headspace is a bigger culprit than O2 picked up during transfer.

I'd hit the headspace with 30 PSI and do 8 purge cycles if I were you.

what style? If it was something hoppy it's not ideal. Something like a malty stout or belgian dubbel, won't matter as much.

as long as you purged the headspace in the keg a few times shouldn't be too bad.

closed transfers are great, but O2 in the headspace is a bigger culprit than O2 picked up during transfer.

I'd hit the headspace with 30 PSI and do 8 purge cycles if I were you.
Hoppy beer. I always purge the keg several times before transfer and after transfer. Normally purge the headspace 5-8 times after transfer with 10-12psi.

Probably only a small impact, much less so than properly or improperly purging the receiving keg.

Only your palate matters if you're the one drinking it. It's possible, and practical, that your beer may have a list of minimal flaws including oxidation that you don't know about and/or cannot detect. At the end of the day, if you like the beer, it's all good.

Back