I Eat Danger For Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is part of the reason I didn't use the baker's chocolate....besides the mess and clean-up. I will be transferring mine to the secondary this weekend.

Ended up with 38 bottles worth, about what I expected and about 10 under my normal yield. The sample tasted great, so at least they'll be 38 good beers! I'll have to ration them out as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I transferred my beer on sunday. It tasted awesome and had a good chocolate note to it even though I didn't use baker's chocolate. The 8 oz or so of lactose I added really thickened up the beer too. I can't wait to taste it in a couple of weeks when I bottle it. I added about 16 or so oz of Maker's Mark that had 4oz of cocoa nibs and 2 vanilla beans in it for 3 weeks. In the last week I added 1/2 cup of cocoa powder.

Well I bottled it this last saturday. It does taste pretty amazing so far. I will crack one open in a couple of weeks to taste it. It will be hard to wait.

Since so many of you lost alot of beer due to the chocolate, would it hurt to top it off with water to bring it to 5.5 - 6 gallons before you add it to the primary? I'm actually about to brew this kit in the next month to have it ready for Christmas.

Since so many of you lost alot of beer due to the chocolate, would it hurt to top it off with water to bring it to 5.5 - 6 gallons before you add it to the primary? I'm actually about to brew this kit in the next month to have it ready for Christmas.

A trick I used on a chocolate cherry imperial stout. At flameout, I placed approx 2-3 cups of wort in a sauce pan and put it on the stove. I added all of the chocolate to that, melted it, then put it in the primary with the cooled wort that I racked from my kettle. That way I didnt have any chocolate get mixed up in the trub and it was easier to transfer the wort.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

I opted to use cocoa nibs and cocoa powder to combat losing a lot of the beer. I still lost some because of the lactose, but not near as much. I ended up with 34 1/2 liter bottles...I normally end up with 35-36 in the batches I have done...so not far off from what I expected.

Well I popped one open last night after being in the refridge for 2 days. It was pretty awesome! It is probably the best one I have brewed yet. Nice chocolate taste with just the cocoa powder and nibs. There is a very faint taste of the Maker's Mark too.

I am brewing this tomorrow. I know you steep the grounded coffee beans for 10 minutes at flameout, but do you pour them out after this or do you put them in the primary as well?

I strained the coffee grains out after the steep. I have a metal strainer. I had one of these last weekend and they have gotten better. There is ever so slight taste of maker's mark in it. The chocolate flavor is pretty good and good lacing. This one is so far my favorite brew.

Is there anything to use besides Baker's Chocolate. It was $3 for a 4 oz. bar. It ended up being $20 just for chocolate.

I used Cocoa nibs and cocoa powder. When I did mine, I put 4 oz of cocoa nibs in a jar with about 12 oz of Maker's Mark. It sat that way the whole primary fermentation. I added 4oz of cocoa powder to the jar about a week before I moved the beer to the secondary. It came out nice and chocolaty.

I brewed the kit this past weekend and it is now in the primary.

2 questions:

How can I strain the coffee grounds out of the primary once I transfer to secondary?

What is the purpose of transferring the chocolate to the secondary? Why not just leave it in the primary longer? If you do transfer the chocolate, how do you separate it from the yeast, or do you just put the whole clump in there? I always transfer my beers to a secondary but I've always left everything behind.

Thanks everyone!!

Anyone ever try the Danger in Kentucky recipe? Looks like the only difference is the brown sugar and hop schedule upping the IBU's. Thinking of doing the original but also adding Bourbon. Thoughts?

mine turned out good with a bottle of Maker's Mark...I might try something different next time. The other addition for the other is the oak...I will probably do that one next time to see how different it would be. Possibly using more cocoa nibs.

mine turned out good with a bottle of Maker's Mark...I might try something different next time. The other addition for the other is the oak...I will probably do that one next time to see how different it would be. Possibly using more cocoa nibs.

Ob - did you use the brown sugar too?

Ob - did you use the brown sugar too?

Not this time around. I didn't look too close at the other recipe before brewing. Honestly I didn't plan on adding the whole bottle of Maker's Mark, but added the rest of the bottle at bottling time. I was just using the Maker's Mark to soak the Cocoa Nibs, powder, and vanilla beans (2 of them).

I have a brew that called for brown sugar and it is bottle conditioning now. Got it from Jasper's too...called Doodoo Dunderhead Double Brown Ale.

When steeping the coffee do you steep it in a muslin bag in the wort for 10 minutes then remove and discard, or do you just freely dump the grounds in then steep, and the coffee stays in the primary until secondary?

I just dumped it in. I have a metal strainer that I bought from midwest. I strained it and got most of the grounds out of the wort when I put it in a bucket before going into the 6.5 gallon carboy.

I ended up brewing this last Monday and not sure how it will turn out. After my steep I cranked the heat on my stove and ran down in the basement to get my ferm chamber going. I was down there about 90 seconds and came up to a kitchen covered in liquid candy wort. I'm thinking I lost about 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon or better. It took me over an hour to clean up (had to pull the stove out of the cabinets) and while I was cleaning the wort just sat. I started back up and finished the brew. I added a lb of brown sugar and ended with an og of 1.09. This doesn't seem accurate though due too all of the coffee and what not suspended in the wort. We'll see....

I'm going to brew this kit on Saturday. I'm doing a yeast starter, and then I'll siphon some wort out into a pan and melt the baker's chocolate into that. Any other critical advice?

5 oz. which is what the kit calls for. I bottled mine 2 weeks ago and opened one this weekend. Wow is all I can say. It's not even fully bottle conditioned and it is delicious. I only used 16 oz. of Baker's chocolate and it is plenty. I've marked a few bottles to store for a few years. I'm not sure how long these will last because they are so good. I will definitely be making this kit again.

I'm going to brew this kit on Saturday. I'm doing a yeast starter, and then I'll siphon some wort out into a pan and melt the baker's chocolate into that. Any other critical advice?

If you havent made it yet, I would strongly advise against adding 5oz ground coffee at flameout. That is the worst method to add coffee to a beer in my experience. It may start out nice, but it will get acrid and overbearing over time. I've tried the flameout, cold steep, and whole bean additions. In my experience whole bean additions to primary is far and away the best method to get coffee character in beer. I usually do 3-4oz of whole bean coffee from a freshly opened container directly into the fermentor for 5 days or so. And wow, it gives way more coffee aroma and flavor than adding that much cold steeped or at flameout. But more important is that the coffee character is so much more full and rounded and stays longer than the other methods. If you don't believe me check out the madfermentationist's post on it

If you havent made it yet, I would strongly advise against adding 5oz ground coffee at flameout. That is the worst method to add coffee to a beer in my experience. It may start out nice, but it will get acrid and overbearing over time. I've tried the flameout, cold steep, and whole bean additions. In my experience whole bean additions to primary is far and away the best method to get coffee character in beer. I usually do 3-4oz of whole bean coffee from a freshly opened container directly into the fermentor for 5 days or so. And wow, it gives way more coffee aroma and flavor than adding that much cold steeped or at flameout. But more important is that the coffee character is so much more full and rounded and stays longer than the other methods. If you don't believe me check out the madfermentationist's post on it

I appreciate the tips but that is going to have to wait for the second go round of this kit. I brewed it 10 days ago and added cold brewed coffee at flameout.

I hope it comes out alright.

I appreciate the tips but that is going to have to wait for the second go round of this kit. I brewed it 10 days ago and added cold brewed coffee at flameout.

I hope it comes out alright.

It should be alright, just dont age it too long. Every beer I did flameout coffee additions with got very acrid after 3 months or so. Delicious at the start though

I'm bottling this on Saturday. I'm hoping it will be ready in time for Christmas. I'll post my impression once I crack the first bottle.

thalguy, I tested mine after a week and it still wasn't carbonated enough. After two weeks it was good to go. However, it keeps getting better with age.

I brewed Jaspers extract version of this on Sunday. I pitched 2 vials of yeast and by Monday morning it was bubbling. By Tuesday night it was done. This seems too early to stop bubbling.... Any thoughts? OG Gravity only made it to 1.072

I brewed Jaspers extract version of this on Sunday. I pitched 2 vials of yeast and by Monday morning it was bubbling. By Tuesday night it was done. This seems too early to stop bubbling.... Any thoughts?

My thought is let it ride. Done bubbling doesn't mean done. As long as you are within the correct fermentation temperature you should be good. If you're worried you could check a sp. gravity but if it were me I wouldn't mess with it for at least 3 weeks.

Regarding the OG, as long as everything measured out correctly, it probably just wasn't mixed well when you pulled the sample.

Back