I Eat Danger For Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved this one to secondary after a week. I'm going to bottle tomorrow actually. Took a hydro sample tonight and it tasted amazing.

How did it turn out? I have this kit from jaspers sitting in my cabinet waiting to be brewed. I was actually trying to look into what people did as far as chocolate. I didn't know If I should use unsweetened, semi sweet, or sweet. I like founders breakfast stout but wish it had more of a chocolate pop (if that makes sense). Any help is appreciated.

It turned out great. I used the 24oz of bakers chocolate like the recipe said to. I basically followed the recipe as close as possible. Used locally roasted Detrot dark coffee. The chocolate is definitely present as 24oz is a lot! Other FBS clone recipes I've seen haven't used a fraction of that.

IMO it was a bit too bitter. I also way over carbonated the beer so most were undrinkable. The issue came that all that choco and Yeast made a 3 inch + cake at the bottem so the yield was low. I think the kit would be the way to go. Good luck- I want to make the drive to jaspers for a few of the things that they have there, but have not brewed in months.

I think I am going to go with a 8oz sweet, 8oz semi sweet, and 8 oz unsweetened. If anybody has an opinion on that I would love to hear it, otherwise I post results in a couple months.

I think I am going to go with a 8oz sweet, 8oz semi sweet, and 8 oz unsweetened. If anybody has an opinion on that I would love to hear it, otherwise I post results in a couple months.

I made a Breakfast Stout clone and a Chocolate Cherry Russian Imperial stout and the recommendations for both were to use unsweetened bakers chocolate. If I recall right, other types of chocolate have fats and oils in them that we dont want in the beer.

johnpcook1 said:
I made a Breakfast Stout clone and a Chocolate Cherry Russian Imperial stout and the recommendations for both were to use unsweetened bakers chocolate. If I recall right, other types of chocolate have fats and oils in them that we dont want in the beer.

Cocoa will always have fats and oils, but it can be minimized.

I have been using cocoa paste (liquor), which is ground cocoa nibs. It is supposed to be the strongest chocolate taste possible, and is commonly used in pastry. I believe any chocolate sold will be cocoa paste plus cocoa butter (usually sugar too) resulting in more fats.

Cocoa powder has cocoa butter removed, but the flavour doesn't seem to be idea. Oils are undesirable, but can be over come, and seem to be necessary for a solid chocolate flavour.

Im an idiot. I just pulled out the kit and it definitely calls for unsweetened.

To the people that recently brewed this, what yeast did you use? I have S-05 on hand which the kit recommends but only one packet. Mr Malty says I need 1.3 packets. I assume id be fine. I always add wyeast nutrient and even though my biggest beer so far has been 1.065 all have taken off quickly. Usually less than 12 hours to airlock bubbling.

One packet of yeast, especially if its hydrated first, will be more than enough.
As for the chocolate addition, when I added it at the end of the boil on my first beer I felt like I lost alot of chocoalate because it adhered to the immersion cooler and the side of the boil kettle and got mixed in with the cold and hot break that were left behind. Now I take about two cups of wort at flameout from the top and put it into a saucepan and melt the chocolate in that and transfer that directly into the primary. No chocolate loss.

Brewing as we speak. Super excited about this one. There are two guys at the local starbucks who hook me up with coffee for my beers in exchange for a couple beers when they are done. Thanks for all the advise everybody!

One packet of yeast, especially if its hydrated first, will be more than enough.
As for the chocolate addition, when I added it at the end of the boil on my first beer I felt like I lost alot of chocoalate because it adhered to the immersion cooler and the side of the boil kettle and got mixed in with the cold and hot break that were left behind. Now I take about two cups of wort at flameout from the top and put it into a saucepan and melt the chocolate in that and transfer that directly into the primary. No chocolate loss.

My apologies on the one packet statement. I went back to the beginning of this thread and saw the OG might be 1.086 ish? If so, Id consider oxygenating and pitching one packet (hydrated) tonight with nutrient, then oxygenating and pitching another packet (hydrated) with nutrient tom afternoon. You shud get a healthy and vigourous fermentation by doing this, Im only recommending this because Ive dealt with too many slow fermentations lately on big beers.

i just noticed, after all this time, the extract kit calls for 24 oz of chocolate and the all grain kit calls for only 5 oz.. im curious.. the grain bill for the specialties is the same! so what gives?

i just noticed, after all this time, the extract kit calls for 24 oz of chocolate and the all grain kit calls for only 5 oz.. im curious.. the grain bill for the specialties is the same! so what gives?

That's funny, I noticed the same thing last night when checking out the AG recipe. I want to brew this again and thought the AG would save me a little $$. That's quite a discrepancy. If it were like a few ounces less I wouldn't really care but 19 ounces difference with no real difference in specialty grains?

would be funny if it were one of them there typographical errors.. and they meant to say 8oz in the extract.. which is what i used and it was plenty. LOL!
i have contacted them for errors in other instruction sheets, such as giving brown sugar but no mention of when to add it.. etc.. and they were quick to fix them.

Got an email back from Jasper's just now. I guess the AG instructions had a typo. It's supposed to be 24oz for both recipes. The PDF for AG has been updated. Sadly, I just finished my last bottle of this brew yesterday night. Gotta make some more!

I just bottled this tonight. It had a super weird layer on top of solidified bubbles that appeared after about three weeks into fermentation (I did one week primary, three secondary, but the bubbles appeared after two weeks in secondary). When I squeezed the better bottle and smelled what came through the airlock it was a super bitter sour smell and I was freaking out because the biggest, most expensive, and most anticipated beer I have yet to do seemed infected. When I popped off the bung it smelled like wonderful roasty chocolate. I forgot I put cheap vodka in the airlock and that caused the nasty smell. I was sooooooo relieved. Has anybody else had these strange bubbles? For pretty much all of the first two weeks in secondary it looked like a thin layer of Co2 bubbles on top but one day they just kind of morphed into big bubbles and an almost krausen looking layer. Has anybody else had this happen?

Also the samples I drank tasted amazing! Cant wait for a few weeks from now to drink my first one. For the people who have brewed this when have you really thought it got good?

Unfortunately I got less than 40 bottles out of this batch. Split it with my Dad and it did not stay around long enough to really test one out later down the road. Man I gotta brew this again soon.

I just poped the top on one of these. Only 13 days in the bottle and holy crap it is AMAZING! Its like im getting beat in the face with chocolate with a hint of coffee. It has almost no carbonation yet (which I kind of like), but I can wait until it is properly carbed in two weeks. I have had MANY founders breakfast stouts and it is one of my favorites but I wish it had more chocolate. This has the amount of chocolate I wish FBS had. Two thumbs up!

Is there a common consensus on a bottle conditioning time? Seems like some have aged for a week or two up to a few months.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Mine have been in the bottle for four weeks and still improving every time i drink a bottle (every three or four days). They are carbed up beautifully (very low carb) for the type of beer but taste gets better and better. This is a really great beer so far.

This kit is on my short list. Thinking of brewing it here relatively soon and then aging it for awhile (as in 3-6 months). I'm wondering if it would be better to rack it to secondary and then stash the carboy away and forget about it for awhile or if it is better to bottle it after a month or so and age it in the bottles. Any benefits/cons either way? The one con I can think of for bottles is that I'll likely break down and start drinking them sooner than planned :).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's the only Pro/Con I can think of when talking about bottling. My beer patience is next to nothing.

I've brewed this beer a few times and just like founders Its way to bitter for my taste. I like to age this for at least a year before I start drinking it. the hop bitterness fades and the chocolate gets stronger. I brew it with 8oz unsweetened cocoa powder and 2oz of cocoa nibs in secondary and I don't start to taste any chocolate until 4 months and it just gets stronger with time. The first time I brewed this I drank it too soon, I had the last bottle about a year after it was brewed and I couldn't believe how much better it was so now I always age this. I want to try brewing it with less hops and see If I like it better sooner.

I've brewed this beer a few times and just like founders Its way to bitter for my taste. I like to age this for at least a year before I start drinking it. the hop bitterness fades and the chocolate gets stronger. I brew it with 8oz unsweetened cocoa powder and 2oz of cocoa nibs in secondary and I don't start to taste any chocolate until 4 months and it just gets stronger with time. The first time I brewed this I drank it too soon, I had the last bottle about a year after it was brewed and I couldn't believe how much better it was so now I always age this. I want to try brewing it with less hops and see If I like it better sooner.

did you put the 24 oz of chocolate too?

O.G. 1.082
F.G. 1.018
ABV 8.3%
IBU's 60

3.3 Lbs Munich Malt Syrup
5.3 Lbs Light Malt Syrup
1.1 Lbs Wheat Malt Syrup
16oz Roasted Barley
10 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz De-husked Carafa1 Malt
4 oz Coffee Malt
8 oz 150L Crystal Malt
4 oz Special B Malt
16 oz Flaked Oats
24 oz Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
5 oz Dark Roasted Coffee Beans

2 oz Horizon Hops (65 Min)
1/2 oz Willamette (30 Min)
1/2 oz /willamette (1 Min)

Safale US-05

~5 oz of fresh ground coffee beans steep for 10 min. at flameout.
~With 5 min remaining in boil, add 24 oz chocolate, 5.3 lbs Light Malt Syruo, and 1.1 lbs of Wheat Malt Syrup.

Do like them dark don't you?:rockin:

anyone tried this recipe with no chocolate?looks like there plenty chocolate taste with with the steeping grain.?

I just use 8oz unsweetened cocoa powder and 2oz of cocoa nibs in secondary instead of the recommended 24oz chocolate bar. I've had better results this way. I keep this beer in primary for a few weeks and transfer as much of the yeast cake full of chocolate over to secondary because it seems that the beer picks up the chocolate flavor from the cocoa powder after alchohol is present. In other words alchohol extracts more flavor than water will.

Just ordered this kit yesterday. What did everyone else do for the coffee addition? The recipe says to add 5 oz of dark roasted ground coffee. I was thinking of using locally roasted espresso and adding the ground beans at flameout as suggested in the recipe.

I used 5 oz of Detroit French Roast from the Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Company. Tossed it in at flameout, put the lid on and steeped for 10min like directions say. Turned out great. A bit more coffee forward than Founders but I liked it.

...I keep this beer in primary for a few weeks and transfer as much of the yeast cake full of chocolate over to secondary because it seems that the beer picks up the chocolate flavor from the cocoa powder after alchohol is present. In other words alchohol extracts more flavor than water will.

Why do you rack it then? Doesn't that just oxygenate it needlessly?

Why do you rack it then? Doesn't that just oxygenate it needlessly?

Yes it does needlessly oxygenate it. I'm just still in the habbit of racking the beer off the floculated yeast. Especially because I usually leave this in the carboy for a while. This beer produces a huge chocolate yeast cake. I know I shouldn't transfer to secondary but most of my beers either get dry hopped or have some adjunct going into secondary so all my beers get brewed that way.

Just got done racking mine to secondary. The amount of chocolate that had settled in the bottom of the carboy was astounding. Looked like way more than 24 oz worth (granted, there was some other stuff mixed in there). Looks like my gravity finished a bit high...I've taken three readings over the past week or so and have gotten 1.024 each time. Target was 1.018-1.022. Close enough I guess. It certainly doesn't seem as though it's gonna move any lower. The samples have all tasted great, so no big deal. Planning on a month or so in secondary before bottling.

I just ordered this kit. I'm going to not add chocolate to it. I will put some cocoa powder and cocoa nibs in the secondary. I think I will soak the cocoa nibs and powder in some maker's mark.

I brewed up the chocolate covered BEAVR nutz kit from midwest and it came out pretty good. I used half a cup of cocoa power and 4 oz of cocoa nibs in the secondary. The chocolate taste is pretty strong and only a hint of peanut butter from the PB2 (which I couldn't fit all of it in the secondary).

I will be brewing this up tomorrow. thinking of adding a pound of lactose also...thoughts?

Interesting. Ok, so this 8 oz will bring up the mouth feel. The chocolate covered beavr nutz seemed a bit thin for me. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I expected it to be more thick feeling in the mouth. I just expected it to be like the Alaska Oatmeal Stout or Sam Adams Cream Stout.

I am also planning on using some Maker's Mark (probably 16 oz) with 4 oz of cocoa nibs, 2 vanilla beans in the secondary. (I will be setting this up tomorrow after I brew and let it soak and mature for the 4 weeks I plan on leaving everything ferment in the primary) I didn't want to go with the bakers chocolate. The chocolate covered beavr nutz is about the right about of chocolate flavor for me. I will also add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder in the secondary. (just like I did with the chocolate covered beavr nutz)

also, when i did the chocolate covered beavr nutz recipe, it had me seep/mash the grains for 60 mins and then rinse/sparge the grains. Did anyone do this for this kit? I know the instructions say to seep the grains for 30 mins and discard. I don't see any harm in doing the "sparge" rinse to the grains. any thoughts on this?

8 oz doesnt seem to be alot, but it does the trick. Check Deception Cream Stout. And the Founders Breakfast Stout clone. It usually does the trick for mouthfeel, but doesnt knock all the other flavors outta the way

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Thanks for your input. I will go with about 8 oz and see how it comes out. I don't want it to be too sweet. From reading on other recipes 1 lb is supplied, but they tell you to use 8 oz. I want to see how it comes out once fully carbed up seeing that is the only real test to see if the flavor and mouthfeel are where I want it. If not, I know to add more next time, but not a full pound. I will report back in a few months once the beer is ready.

Well I brewed it up last sunday and I really can't wait for this one to be done. It smelled awesome during the boil. My OG was 1.080 with about .5 lb of lactose in it (I think I am a bit over 5 gallons..probably close to 5.5 gallons) It only took about 12 hours to see the fermentation going and 36 hours until I had to put the blow off tube on. this is the second brew I have had to put a blow off tube on.

so here it is after 12 hours:
20140428_173015_zpsjieboltx.jpg

and here it is after 36 hours. I checked it when I got up in the morning and it was a good thing I did.
20140429_045935_zpsiesryobu.jpg

here it is after about a minute after I put the blow off tube on.

20140429_050703_zpsyornn8l1.jpg

It has been almost a week and fermentation has really settled down. After about 3 days I put an airlock back on. I will let this sit in the primary for another couple of weeks before transferring to the secondary. I will be adding about 3/4 bottle of Maker's Mark with 4 oz of cocoa nibs and 2 vanilla beans. I put this mixture in a jar and have it sitting waiting since I brewed it on last sunday.

Anyone else get really low yield out of this kit? Mine is still in secondary, plan on bottling this weekend, but it's obvious that I have far less than 5 gallons in there. Maybe 3.75-4. The monstrous chocolate/yeast/coffee trub in the primary cost me a ton of liquid. I'm sure it'll still be great, just won't be much of it.

Back