I didn't fill my Keg quietly. Have I oxygenated my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WrkdbfGuy

Reaction score
I just got my first ball lock keg and I transferred my Irish Red Ale from the fermenter directly into a keg. I set the fermenter on the counter top and the keg on the floor, and opened the spigot - letting the beer pour into a keg. (No racking cane/hose. Just let the stream flow.)

I got a substantial amount of foam as the keg filled up. I capped the keg, purged the keg's head space with CO2, and placed the keg in the cooler. (40° at 12 PSI BTW.) I didn't think anything of the foam at the time. But now I'm thinking I seriously oxygenated my batch.

Is my beer screwed now?

Bill

I made this mistake just once early on, within 3 weeks or so the beer tasted like wet cardboard.

idk ive seen beer oxidize pretty fast before.

Did you purge the keg before doing this or did you only purge the head space?

i purge the keg with co2 before and after filling it. any splashes i get from racking will be mitigated with the co2.

Edit: Just reread, no hose or racking cane. Falling beer. Bad. oxygenation is likely, very likely. That's how many folks effectively aerate their wort when transfering from BK to FV.

I agree, carb that up as fast as possible and drink it asap. you introduced a buttload of oxygen by cascading it down into the keg

You could have hurt it a little but it should be okay for a while.

Next time, pre-purge the whole empty keg with CO2 a few times. Then, when you transfer there will be a virtually oxygen-free CO2 fog inside the keg space that will protect the beer, even if it's splashing.

Crap. I got in a hurry and didn't think. Everything was perfect till them. FG right on. Uncarbonated wort tasted as I would expect. I guess I'll chalk this one up to being a relative noob. Next time I'll use a hose.

Bill

Crap. I got in a hurry and didn't think. Everything was perfect till them. FG right on. Uncarbonated wort tasted as I would expect. I guess I'll chalk this one up to being a relative noob. Next time I'll use a hose.

Bill

I add an old racking can cut an an angle to my hose. Simple to place it in the bottom of the keg when the tubing is less resilient once the cold beer starts flowing through it. (Crash cool my beer before racking to keg)

CO2 in the keg is also a good idea prior to racking. (At least in theory it's a good idea). I like to have CO2 in the kegs prior to racking. I leave a gallon of starsan in them when they are stored and push it out with CO2 prior to putting the beer in.

So everyone makes these mistakes at one time or another. Especially when your in the heat of the moment, you can lose focus

Sometimes you just have to stop and laugh at yourself.

That being said, what you did there could be the definition of how to oxygenate your beer if you really wanted to :fro:

Latest posts

Back