i bet you serious wine makers love all the skeeter pee threads...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
so here's another skeeter pee thread.

i made a super-modified skeeter pee batch a couple days ago, using dry yeast (EC-1118) and didn'ttake a hydrometer reading (my hydrometer is out of calibration, and i only just now learned how easy that is to account for)
so, i know how much sugar i put in, and i know the volume, so can i determine and approximate SG for this?
or, alternately, when i'm done, is there a way to find an approximate or accurate ABV?

Once it's fermented dry (no residual sugar) you can use a vinometer, which are like $5 at any LHBS to roughly estimate the amount of alcohol. You could try to see at what temperature it freezes, 10% alcohol freezes at about 25 degrees, so stick it somewhere 30 degrees and see if it freezes. The easiest way would be to just post your recipe, someone will figure out it's p.a.

my recipe was:

8 lbs sugar
64 oz lemon juice, with another 32oz to be added later
yeast nutrient per package directions
yeast energizer per directions
2 packets EC-1118
water to 5 gallons (before the addition of the 2nd bottle of juice.)

Based on your recipe and comparing it to other batches I've made, I'd say your abv should come in around 10% if it ferments dry.

Once it's fermented dry (no residual sugar) you can use a vinometer, which are like $5 at any LHBS to roughly estimate the amount of alcohol. You could try to see at what temperature it freezes, 10% alcohol freezes at about 25 degrees, so stick it somewhere 30 degrees and see if it freezes. The easiest way would be to just post your recipe, someone will figure out it's p.a.

That's Veno-o-meter, I don't know why they add the extra "o" but they do.

If you know what you put in the calculations are not hard, and there are lots of calculators on the web for such things.

Back