I am a Homebrewer [video] Release

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I canceled my BN donation...

Are you going to stop being a member of the AHA because your beer didn't win a medal at nationals? Because they didn't like something you made?

They didn't like the video... big deal. Lots of people liked it and everybody who was a part of it should be proud of it. But not every one will and that's fine.

So to your first point, tell me where anyone mentions that this is art... or even great art.

Second, tell me which of us said it was creative.

Third tell me why a network that has entire shows devoted to cloning a beer and a brewcaster that famously cloned Pliney the Elder can discriminate original from a respectably intended tribute. Also which of us said it was original. No I don't think you will find that.

Because I believe that you buy the Brewcaster's premise that we somehow represented this as something that it is not.

Perhaps you need an original opinion and not regurgitated talking points.

You'll not hear me disparage the BN, but I know thoughtless rhetoric when I hear it and I don't care which "Rockstar" I need to remind who the real brewers are.

And thanks, I found that very relaxing.

I am going to address your last couple comments first. Please do not insult me by saying all I can do is "regurgitate talking points". I have an opinion that in some ways mirrors others and suddenly its "thoughtless rhetoric".

As for your other comments.

First, I said they were acting as if it was art. It was an obvious exaggeration. But people here seem to believe it is above reproach.

Second, in the video at several points the claim that you are creative or some other variation on that is claimed.

Third, if they have an opinion they have every right to voice it regardless of what they do.

My comments had to do with the video, not others opinions of it. I never claimed it was represented as anything other than it is. I just wanted to comment. And if you will read my post at the beginning I said I liked it, just not as much as everybody else.

I am a homebrewer.

I like listening to the BN.

I like posting on homebrewtalk.

The two disagreed on something.

I don't give a ****, that happens sometimes.

I am now going to brew a beer with corn AND rice in it, because no one will tell me what I can or cannot put into my beer.

Look at it this way about the criticism of the video: people are watching it and talking about it, which is what I'm sure everyone wanted in the first place.

I enjoyed the video. And it got some prosts from some bigwigs in the craft brewing world. Pretty cool to get a Calagione cameo for a homebrew forum. Actually that is far out!

:mug:

I think we are getting a little bit rabid in regards to the whole BN thing. Last I checked it was not BN as a whole that put down and mocked the video, it was the Sunday Show. BN as a whole is a pretty good source of info and their other shows are pretty good, the Jamil show was and still is a great source of info (minus a handful of shows), Brew Strong is fantastic. We need to take a take a step back, take a deep breath and redirect towards the waste of three hours that is the Sunday Show.

Kudos to Justin for at least attempting to explain what he feels about the situation.

I think we are getting a little bit rabid in regards to the whole BN thing. Last I checked it was not BN as a whole that put down and mocked the video, it was the Sunday Show. BN as a whole is a pretty good source of info and their other shows are pretty good, the Jamil show was and still is a great source of info (minus a handful of shows), Brew Strong is fantastic. We need to take a take a step back, take a deep breath and redirect towards the waste of three hours that is the Sunday Show.

Kudos to Justin for at least attempting to explain what he feels about the situation.

Meh, I was over it pretty much soon after I posted about it. I'll still listen to the Jamil show for information. I have learned from this though. I have learned that i don't need to bother listening to the Sunday Show. I like humour and stuff, but it's just infantile.That is not my disdain talking, that is what my sense of what constitutes good humour speaking to me.

Look at it this way about the criticism of the video: people are watching it and talking about it, which is what I'm sure everyone wanted in the first place.
Yea, you're right. The big view is that the flames from this intra-hobby spat might reach outside our groups and find some new audiences. I would like to see the homebrew community grow.

Meh, I was over it pretty much soon after I posted about it. I'll still listen to the Jamil show for information. I have learned from this though. I have learned that i don't need to bother listening to the Sunday Show. I like humour and stuff, but it's just infantile.That is not my disdain talking, that is what my sense of what constitutes good humour speaking to me.

You know, when humor is too infantile for *Laughing Gnome*, of all people.........

My comments were directed at the Sunday Show broadcast, and the ********* personalities presented there.

I have nothing but respect for Jamil. He's earned it.;)

Are you going to stop being a member of the AHA because your beer didn't win a medal at nationals? Because they didn't like something you made?

Well, my beer did win a medal at Nationals, so I guess I can keep my AHA membership....;)

But, back on topic, no I would not cancel my AHA membership because they didn't like something I made. As evidenced from scoresheets from Rounds 1 & 2, they offer constructive criticism, something that I was anticipating receiving upon entering the competition. The BN did not do this - they offered their criticism in a way I didn't feel was constructive. If they didn't like it, they could have expressed their views in a more polite and mature manner on-air.

Based on your lackluster analogy, if the AHA would have sent me back scoresheets that were like, "This beer sucked" then, yeah, I would probably cancel my membership, citing this as an example. However, they noted the flaws as well as the high points. Something I can learn from.

I received an email reply from Justin, which was nothing but polite and mature - I just wish they had done this on-air, that's all. They are free to criticize whomever they please, but I think doing it in a more constructive fashion would garner a better outlook on this whole situation.

I received an email reply from Justin, which was nothing but polite and mature - I just wish they had done this on-air, that's all. They are free to criticize whomever they please, but I think doing it in a more constructive fashion would garner a better outlook on this whole situation.

This is how I feel as well. Of course they can criticize anything they want. It was the fact that they were being mean spirited about a group of random homebrewers that made me mad. If it was a competing show or some entity try to make money or something then yeah, rip 'em a good one. But, we are just a group of enthusiasts trying to have a good time and have fun. I will still listen to the BN when they have good shows and yes, that will include the sunday session when they have something on that interests me. I just think they went overboard on that one.

+1

I posted over there describing what I didn't like about the podcasts and the forums and it seems I may have misled myself into thinking that most of their shows were like the Sunday Sessions. Apparently that is the one that I had listened to most. I know I've listened to some very good shows over there. Time to head back and see if I can separate the wheat form the chaff, so to speak.

Still not big on the BN Army attitude on the forums, but no biggie, this place has far more posts and the quality is as good or better IMHO.

Anyway, they were very gracious about pointing me to the real brewing shows, so I might check them out again.

To me, this is the failing that really got to me. The BN and in particular many of the personalities on the show that we are talking about earned a great deal of goodwill during the NHC in Oakland.

They missed out on an opportunity, not us.

I am a homebrewer.

I like listening to the BN.

I like posting on homebrewtalk.

The two disagreed on something.

I don't give a ****, that happens sometimes.

I am now going to brew a beer with corn AND rice in it, because no one will tell me what I can or cannot put into my beer.

+1 I love both. The BN went a little overboard -- but they always do.

I really, really want to get over all this BN crap (you realize that we're no better than them if we call them all *****ebags, right?), but I do have to point out that as far as being 'the only audio source for interviews with the bigwigs,' I think James Spencer would disagree.

...I do have to point out that as far as being 'the only audio source for interviews with the bigwigs,' I think James Spencer would disagree.

+1 on James' program! It's not just the BN out there.

I'm listening to the Sunday Session broadcast right now. I think Justin's comment near the beginning is correct, "unless I missed the point." I think they did. However, they do that all the time on their show. I kind of hear this as them finding an easy target to blast and be jerks about, but that's kind of their thing. I guess I'm not as offended after hearing it. I found some of their commentary amusing. I don't really think anything they were saying was meant to be personal.

I think the video is good and got the point, but also can still laugh at what they're saying on the BN. After all, who the F really cares what the BN's opinion is? I listen to two of their programs to learn about brewing, I listen to the Sunday Session to catch a few tips on brewing and be entertained. Once I start listening to them for their opinions on things I think I'll just end it all! :mug:

Fantastic vid, I'd hope to do the same with some of the icelandic brewers i know, but brewing is illegal in iceland and showing ones face and saying you're a home brewer isn't really the smartest thing to do :)

I AM TOTALLY NOT A HOMEBREWER. This is a pot of something else. Brewing has a proud tradition that we would never think of illegally partaking in. I did not make this beer, at all. Nope.

00000182.png

Dude, either you need some foundation work or your cameraman likes homebrew. :drunk: :D

Motherf#%$%#$... the attention whore in me loathes the fact that I missed the entire project. Great job guys.

Don't worry Bobby, you are still my brew hero. I "grew up" as a homebrewer watching your vids on youtube before I even knew what HBT was. :mug:

So jamesnw did a hell of a job, and for a bunch of hacks that enjoy great beer and are not videographers by any stretch of the imagination, it is great.

+1 this was a great video, well done, many props for the effort that was put into this. It's a great showpiece for HBT.

My name is Eric and I am a homebrewer who uses rice AND corn. :D

Oh yeah, I forgot that chumprock asked me about my funhouse. I broke/forgot my tripod and my wife was sleeping so I set up a ladder and rested the camera on that. In some shots you can see the ladder too. Confirmed: crappiest shots in the video :)

And since this isn't a double post anymore I can also say that I suckered James at Basic Brewing Radio into talking about the video. I didn't know he was just going to read everything I said verbatim, so hopefully it was okay and I didn't leave anyone out and if I did don't hate me. <3

Oh yeah, I forgot that chumprock asked me about my funhouse. I broke/forgot my tripod and my wife was sleeping so I set up a ladder and rested the camera on that. In some shots you can see the ladder too. Confirmed: crappiest shots in the video :)

I think I have you trumped on that with my homemade t-shirt. I downloaded some of the videos and saw that people were being pretty serious so I thought I would freshen things up a bit.

But, back on topic, no I would not cancel my AHA membership because they didn't like something I made. As evidenced from scoresheets from Rounds 1 & 2, they offer constructive criticism, something that I was anticipating receiving upon entering the competition. The BN did not do this - they offered their criticism in a way I didn't feel was constructive. If they didn't like it, they could have expressed their views in a more polite and mature manner on-air.

Based on your lackluster analogy, if the AHA would have sent me back scoresheets that were like, "This beer sucked" then, yeah, I would probably cancel my membership, citing this as an example. However, they noted the flaws as well as the high points. Something I can learn from. .

+1 Nicely said!

Your homemade t-shirt was awesome!

I really liked the homemade T-shirts, too! They added to the homebrewed/homemade feel we were going for.

My shots may have came across as being too serious but I wasn't trying to be...I'm just kind of dry. :) I think in retrospect I felt so honored to be included among brewers with vastly more knowledge than myself that I wanted to give the best I could. :eek: I could stand to loosen up a bit...maybe I should have done the "cheers" shot first so I would've been a little more buzzed during the rest of it! Still, I couldn't be prouder and if I reach even one person who isn't familiar with homebrewing then I more than did my job...

-Tripod

Blah Blah, who cares what some other guys think.

McKBrew from HBT liked it enough that he posted it on his homepage and facebook. That's all the kudos you need. :D

Mehhhhhh... I've seen better.

I'm jokin'... great job guys! That's tremendous work!

Now someone needs to make a sequel... which would be the exact same thing, only with just the women from HBT. I think that would be really cool... showing that it isn't just a "guy thing"

"I am a homebrewer......."

@*%$ing outstanding guys.... absolutely @%%$ing outstanding!!!!

:rockin: :mug: :rockin:

When I get home I'll make a video of myself and others brewing beer and quipping and swearing. It'll be great fun, especially since it will be during February.

Wow, nice job guys! Wish I'd noticed the planning, I would've joined in. Then again... I'm lazy and probably would have forgotten to make the video :cross:

Definitely showing that to SWMBO later, although somehow I doubt she'll appreciate it as much.

WOW - great video, gave me the chills (goose bumps) and the ending.... 1,2,3,, cheers made me tear up,

I'm proud to call myself a home brewer

Back