I added a spice pack way too late did i risk infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMaster

Reaction score
Well I brewed my first partial mash today. All went well until the last few minutes of the boil I realized I forgot to add a spice pack containing 1/2oz dried coriander seed and 1/2oz dried bitter orange peel. The recipe called for the spice pack to be added halfway through the boil! "Better late then never" was my first thought and i added it. Then I realized it might contain bacteria and I started cursing a lot. So I let the spice pack boil for 5 minutes and chilled the wort since I was torn between altering the finishing hops' flavor and sanitizing the spices.

Does anyone have any information about the bacteria that might be contained in the spice pack and how long it needs to boil for? Should I be worried? Just throw out the whole batch right now:p? Thanks for reading. And don't sugar coat it guys I can handle the truth.

I would think your fine. Even if there were infectious bacteria in the pack boiling for 5 min should take care of it. There have been several batches where I was sure I screwed something up and ruined my beer. So far I've always ended up with a drinkable batch of beer

you will be fine. I did a lemon coriander weiss from midwest and it has you add the coriander in the last 2 mins of the boil. You just won't get the same flavor from the orange peel.

The length of boil was for flavor extraction not sanitation. Your beer will have less flavor from the spice pack, but you may find it immensely tasty and do it the same way again.

I don't ever add spices until flameout. The less you boil them, the less spice 'essence' you scrub out.

I don't ever add spices until flameout. The less you boil them, the less spice 'essence' you scrub out.

Wouldn't that depend on the spices being used. For some brews it is the extraction of the bitterness to compliment the brew rather than fresh flavor.

At flameout, anything added will be pasteurized above 160 anyway boiled or not. I do partial mashes and add all my lme at flameout.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wouldn't that depend on the spices being used. For some brews it is the extraction of the bitterness to compliment the brew rather than fresh flavor.

I guess so. I suppose I only add spices for their spice aroma and flavor as opposed to bitterness.

Back