HUH?! What?! Come Again?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
By the time we hit 30 we have listened to countless hours of loud music. We've been passed by loud trucks, loud planes have passed over us, and EMTs have blasted their ambulance sirens along side us. This all leads to hearing damage.

As we get older, this gets worse. Its a part of modern life.

Many other ailments are also a part of modern life including the runs, bunions, the 'roids, cataracts, astigmatisms (astigmatisi?), and jock itch.

So, why is it that so many people, even rich people, can go into a pharmacy and pick up Depends undergarments, herpasin and KY Jelly like it aint no thing but seem to be too embarrassed to get a hearing aid? Has anyone ever been made to feel like a lesser person because they have a Bell-tone? I'm not even talking about the poor or the uninsured, I'm talking the entire cross section of the population.

Go about your day, ask everyday questions of people (including family) and count how many times you are asked to repeat yourself. Bonus points if the other guy scrunches up his face as if you have just said something retarded and shouts "HUH?!" Almost guaranteed it will be over 10 (unless you live alone in the middle of nowhere, in which case, I sort of envy you at the moment). Repeating yourself that often, when you do the math, could very well mean you have spent several days just repeating things to people you have already said by the time you feed the tree. Call me a grumpy jerk, but I resent having to spend my finite days on this planet repeating myself.

Picture it, up at the Pearly Gates... Guy 1: "I wish I spent more time with my kids" Guy 2: "I wish I had gotten to know my father better"... Me: "I wish I hadn't repeated 'coffee with cream no sugar please' 4 times every morning for 72 years.'"

No, people don't mumble. They dont mumble in real life, and they don't mumble on TV. I'm sorry. Oh, and its not cute, at all. There is one of you and several hundred million people in the world. Why should we all have to shout?

Mr. Convenience Store Owner, you seem like a nice guy. I'm sure you work very hard, and I'm sure you are decent person. But why not just admit to yourself that you are deaf as a post? If you cant afford a hearing aid... work towards that please. You know you would make glasses a priority if you started walking into light-posts.

When I ask if you have any Immodium AD (seeing as how a good case of the trots is another modern problem we all have to deal with), shouting "I can't hear you you are mumbling!!" makes me want to reach over the counter and give you the Stone Cold Stunner. I WONT of course, but I also will never buy my anti-crap medicine from you again.

*sigh* it will pass.

Disclaimer: I know I'm going to get a lot of flak on this one because I'm sure there are going to be some people here (or their loved ones) who are hard of hearing and can't afford an aid or cannot be helped by an aid for a medical reason. Obviously, that isn't what I mean. Also, we all have to have people repeat themselves from time to time. I get that. What is really driving me crazy is people who don't care enough about you to take the necessary and reasonable steps to hear what you have to say.

It doesn't take much to set you off some days! I don't even think of things like this, but you have a point I guess.:)

I'd ask my elderly mother what she thinks of your comments, but she'd only ask; "Huh, what was that?" She is also in denial about her hearing loss.

Makes me wish that I worked behind the counter at a pharmacy so that I could make people shout out embarrassing orders.

Yes I enjoy my amusement at strangers expense.

It is very annoying. Mr. has had mild hearing loss for years. His selfish opinion is that since we all know he can't hear, we should freakin yell to speak to him. Because, you know, the world must adapt to his needs. I just don't talk to him anymore.

Meh. The problem isn't that it's embarrassing to get a hearing aid. The problem is that they're very expensive (like $2000 for each ear every 1-2 years), and worse, they don't work. Hearing aids are notoriously bad - they have feedback, they have poor definition, they have abysmal cancellation, and they're sold in a way that maximizes profit for hearing centers, not in a way that maximizes hearing. I bought one 18 months ago with a 3 year warranty (exceptionally long) and it's been in for repair 9 times, and still doesn't work.

I sympathize - I have to repeat myself to my mom all the time - but until hearing aids get better, lots of people won't get them.

My grandpa who has used hearing aids for ages is well past the point of caring what other people think of him. I think I crossed that mark when I turned 20. Maybe it's just me, but I'm the type of person who will walk up to the counter and put down a hearing aid and laxative, look the cashier in the eye and say, "I can't hear sh*t, hope this will help"

Meh. The problem isn't that it's embarrassing to get a hearing aid. The problem is that they're very expensive (like $2000 for each ear every 1-2 years), and worse, they don't work. Hearing aids are notoriously bad - they have feedback, they have poor definition, they have abysmal cancellation, and they're sold in a way that maximizes profit for hearing centers, not in a way that maximizes hearing. I bought one 18 months ago with a 3 year warranty (exceptionally long) and it's been in for repair 9 times, and still doesn't work.

This is true. They are not quite as awesome as many people think. My MIL has one (needs two and needs to wear them more often!) and she struggles to wear it because it is finicky and expensive. She lost one in a car accident a couple of years ago and never got it replaced.

The bonus to this situation is that the family can easily talk about her behind her back, or even right in front of her without worry about her hearing it. She also tends to not join in on conversation if she thinks she might misunderstand what people are saying. Bonus #2 IMO... :eek:

Worse than that was when I used to work with an older guy. I'm not sure he had a hearing problem, but he surely had a listening problem. He'd automatically say, "WHAT?" whenever you said anything to him. Often before you even finished and he had a chance to think about what you said. Many times I would pause in replying (due to me having to consider whether to say anything rude or not) and then he'd figure out what I said and answer me.

Sometimes they just don't take the time to listen.

I sympathize - I have to repeat myself to my mom all the time - but until hearing aids get better, lots of people won't get them.

As an audiologist these are the kinds of statements that make me sick. I always love what Creamy and Cheezy post about, but this reply got me revved up.

1. Yes, hearing aids are expensive. That being said, there are many state agencies that will foot the bill and there are entry level devices that start around $1000 each.

2. Hearing aids DO work. Just ask any one of my patients. Especially the ones who come in bawling because they were able to participate in conversation at Easter brunch for the first time in 10 years. Only complaint? I wish I had done this sooner.

3. Feedback is a thing of the past. Current technology utilizes phase cancellation to eliminate feedback 100%. Not an issue, moving on.

4. Current technology uses up to 26 channels of bandwidth, meaning definition at better than 1/3 octave ranges.

5. If you think hearing aids are sold to maximize profit ask my wife. Audiologists are grossly underpaid as a profession. If I didn't love what I do, I sure as he77 wouldn't be doing it. There is nothing more rewarding to me than when a patient comes in and tells me that I have changed their life and helped restore something missing from their life.

6. The FDA average for upgrading (i.e. buying new hearing aids) is 3.7 years. Most of my patients get AT LEAST 4-5 good years out of a decent set of devices.

7. END RANT

All in all, it sounds like you went to the wrong place. Is your hearing healthcare provider a Doctor of Audiology or a hearing aid dispenser? Dispensers need an associates degree and a 6 month course. Audiologists require a minimum of a Doctoral degree POST bachelors. If you are in the Chicago area come see me and I will change the way you think about hearing aids. That I promise.

HawksBrewer, sorry for getting you riled, and I'm sure you have high integrity about your job.
However, the $1000 "entry level devices" aren't the same ones that have 26 channels of bandwidth. The very best hearing aids do help some people, I'll grant you. They're expensive - a Lyric costs something like $2000 per year PER EAR. And it's not paid for by any state agency I know of, and it's not covered by health insurance.
Entry level devices do have feedback, and fewer channels for less definition. Believe me, I've tried several. And yes, I've gone to a Doctor of Audiology. I have a top-of-the-line Phonak, and as I said before, it's been back to the factory 9 times, and still doesn't work. If I bought a car that I had to have repaired for the same defect 9 times, I'd get my money back.

So, I'll meet you halfway: some people can have a dramatic improvement in hearing with a hearing aid, at substantial cost. Others won't have any improvement at all, also at substantial cost. I'm just saying it's not a surprise that not everyone runs out to get one.

It's unfortunate that you've had that experience and I would no doubt be frustrated if I was in that situation with any purchase I had made. Which Phonak out of curiosity? I have fit probably 100+ Audeo S Smart V and IX RICs and not one has had to go in for repair. Was it a custom device? Sorry, I'm a fixer by nature and will do anything to help - although I do have a few soapboxes that I carry around...

Also, the Audeo S Smart I was just released last month at the entry level price point and has excellent feedback control. But you're right, you won't get 26 channels from that one.

By the time we hit 30 we have listened to countless hours of loud music. We've been passed by loud trucks, loud planes have passed over us, and EMTs have blasted their ambulance sirens along side us. This all leads to hearing damage.

As we get older, this gets worse. Its a part of modern life.

Many other ailments are also a part of modern life including the runs, bunions, the 'roids, cataracts, astigmatisms (astigmatisi?), and jock itch.

So, why is it that so many people, even rich people, can go into a pharmacy and pick up Depends undergarments, herpasin and KY Jelly like it aint no thing but seem to be too embarrassed to get a hearing aid? Has anyone ever been made to feel like a lesser person because they have a Bell-tone? I'm not even talking about the poor or the uninsured, I'm talking the entire cross section of the population.

Go about your day, ask everyday questions of people (including family) and count how many times you are asked to repeat yourself. Bonus points if the other guy scrunches up his face as if you have just said something retarded and shouts "HUH?!" Almost guaranteed it will be over 10 (unless you live alone in the middle of nowhere, in which case, I sort of envy you at the moment). Repeating yourself that often, when you do the math, could very well mean you have spent several days just repeating things to people you have already said by the time you feed the tree. Call me a grumpy jerk, but I resent having to spend my finite days on this planet repeating myself.

Picture it, up at the Pearly Gates... Guy 1: "I wish I spent more time with my kids" Guy 2: "I wish I had gotten to know my father better"... Me: "I wish I hadn't repeated 'coffee with cream no sugar please' 4 times every morning for 72 years.'"

No, people don't mumble. They dont mumble in real life, and they don't mumble on TV. I'm sorry. Oh, and its not cute, at all. There is one of you and several hundred million people in the world. Why should we all have to shout?

Mr. Convenience Store Owner, you seem like a nice guy. I'm sure you work very hard, and I'm sure you are decent person. But why not just admit to yourself that you are deaf as a post? If you cant afford a hearing aid... work towards that please. You know you would make glasses a priority if you started walking into light-posts.

When I ask if you have any Immodium AD (seeing as how a good case of the trots is another modern problem we all have to deal with), shouting "I can't hear you you are mumbling!!" makes me want to reach over the counter and give you the Stone Cold Stunner. I WONT of course, but I also will never buy my anti-crap medicine from you again.

*sigh* it will pass.

Disclaimer: I know I'm going to get a lot of flak on this one because I'm sure there are going to be some people here (or their loved ones) who are hard of hearing and can't afford an aid or cannot be helped by an aid for a medical reason. Obviously, that isn't what I mean. Also, we all have to have people repeat themselves from time to time. I get that. What is really driving me crazy is people who don't care enough about you to take the necessary and reasonable steps to hear what you have to say.

Invest in companies that make hearing aids & hearing aid batteries & make 'em work for you. ;)
Regards, GF.

HawksBrewer - if you are still around what is your take on the Oticon Agil Pro's ??

Meet with the AUD today and he recommended the a couple differnt sets but said these babies are state of the art and has had great success with them. I love all the bells and whistles with them but the price tag is about 6,200 dollars.

So was curious your take on them and does that price sound about right? He is a AUD in the local major hospital so i am sure there is a bit of a mark for that but i dont mind paying extra for a good AUD and good follow up visits.

HawksBrewer -

Got them today and these things so far are the best damn things since sliced bread in my book. I am BLOWN away so far. Cant wait to use them at work tomorrow so i can ring up Creamy's coffee =P

Thanks for all your messages and advice. May your yeasties always be happy!

PS Creamy, they cost 6,500 dollars with the undercoating, mud flaps, and door mats =P

Sorry, I would not feel "good" about having to go to the counter with a pack of depends and a tube of hemoroid creme no matter how old I get.

Maxamus: Awesome man! Good to hear. I actually just fit a couple of patients w/ the Agils this week. Both of them are loving it. Plus, you can't go wrong w/ the TV/Phone capabilities that they have. Happy hearing to you!

Bump with due cause. Ive gone past pet-peeve with this into "psychopathic hatred." I know my father is going to mope for days because of what just happened. We were on the phone, and I uttered the phrase "there have only been 2 cases of ebola in the US so far." "I didnt catch that" "there have only been 2 cases of ebola in the US so far" "I cant hear you." "Holy ****, dad. There have only been 2 cases of ebola in the US so far" "I really cant hear you" "3 ****ing times?!" "I guess I'll let you go, I cant hear you".

I thought about it for a second and then started to get furious. This is MY problem? Maybe I just quit my job and just repeat things to you over and over until you hear them. F that.

I said "guess so" and hung up.

*sigh*

Sorry you're having to deal with that, I know it's frustrating. My dad's job was doing rocket research -- basically he spent every day blowing stuff up. Needless to say, he's lost some hearing. Conversation, especially in a room with several people talking, is hard for him to hear. He has hearing aids but for whatever reason has stopped wearing them. So for years now, it's been annoying to try and have a conversation.

Last month he was diagnosed with a bad heart condition that's getting worse pretty quick. It's clear he doesn't have a lot of time left.

Now I talk with him whenever I can and for some reason my annoyance with his hearing problem doesn't seem so important anymore.

This thread reminds me of the joke about the man who went home to visit his elderly father, who was semi-deaf. While talking with his dad one night, he noticed that his "hearing aid" was actually an earphone from an old transistor radio. The wire was cut off and sticking out of his shirt.

The son asked, "How does that help your hearing dad?"

Dad replied, "Don't help my hearing none." "Makes people talk louder."

(Thought a little humor might help.)

Before his death, my dad went and got a pair of hearing aids and wore them one day. I asked him if he liked them to which he replied with a simple "no." I never saw those hearing aids again and I'm pretty sure that he threw them away. Yes, I used to get frustrated having a conversation with him but that seems so unimportant now.

Creamy - I know exactly how you feel. It's frustrating.
Unfortunately, I know exactly how your Dad feels too. It's even more frustrating for him. Not being able to hear isolates you, and people leave you out of conversations, and you get to the point where you stop saying "what" and just nod and smile as if you know what's going on, but you might as well be in China. He hates that he can't hear you, and he know's you're frustrated, and feels awful about it.

But hearing aids don't work for a big chunk of people. I'll pull back on my former statement, because they do work for some, I guess, but I can say from personal experience, they don't work for a huge chunk, maybe (probably) the majority. That's why people don't use them. They don't make speech more intelligible, for the most part they just make noise noisier. I know they have noise reduction (but trust me, it doesn't work like you think it should). If they did work, why would so many people have a set and just not use them?

Creamy - I know exactly how you feel. It's frustrating.
Unfortunately, I know exactly how your Dad feels too. It's even more frustrating for him. Not being able to hear isolates you, and people leave you out of conversations, and you get to the point where you stop saying "what" and just nod and smile as if you know what's going on, but you might as well be in China. He hates that he can't hear you, and he know's you're frustrated, and feels awful about it.

But hearing aids don't work for a big chunk of people. I'll pull back on my former statement, because they do work for some, I guess, but I can say from personal experience, they don't work for a huge chunk, maybe (probably) the majority. That's why people don't use them. They don't make speech more intelligible, for the most part they just make noise noisier. I know they have noise reduction (but trust me, it doesn't work like you think it should). If they did work, why would so many people have a set and just not use them?

A big part of the problem is these "hearing aid dispensaries." I don't know about all states, but in Pennsylvania anyone can take a short dispensary course, get a certificate, and sell hearing aids. This doesn't mean they know anything about the complex hearing system, how hearing aids work, or how to diagnose specific types of hearing loss, pick the correct hearing aid, and then fit and dial in the hearing aid. They basically know how to sell the hearing aids and put them in their ears at "a good price," then count their money to the bank.

My fiance is an audiologist with a doctorate of audiology. Nearly every single day she has a new patient who has spent thousands on hearing aids that either simply won't work (or won't work well) for that patient's hearing loss, isn't properly calibrated and set up for their ears, or is bottom-of-the-line junk sold for premium prices. More often than not, they think they scored a deal by going to a local (notorious) dispensary and getting hearing aids cheaper than what she can offer them. However, there is no after sale service, and no hearing aid adjustments. They leave unhappy and are left thinking that hearing aids don't work.

And unfortunately, it's not just the dispensaries. My fiance complains about how scummy many of her fellow audiologists (actual trained audiologists), at least in this area, are. All too often, they're selling very old and poor people expensive hearing aids, not fitting them properly, and them sending them out the door. My fiance has been able to fix these people's old hearing aids, or just get them calibrated for their ears, many, many, many times, so that they can take back the new expensive ones that they didn't need. She gets so fed up with the greed and dishonesty in this business.

My advice (as relayed by her) is to find a good audiologist who is interested in helping you, not just getting a sale. She is able to help the vast, vast majority of her patients (not everyone though, of course), even if it doesn't mean making a sale, and even if it takes several visits to get everything running right. Many in her field aren't willing to take the time to do this unfortunately.

Bump with due cause. Ive gone past pet-peeve with this into "psychopathic hatred." I know my father is going to mope for days because of what just happened. We were on the phone, and I uttered the phrase "there have only been 2 cases of ebola in the US so far." "I didnt catch that" "there have only been 2 cases of ebola in the US so far" "I cant hear you." "Holy ****, dad. There have only been 2 cases of ebola in the US so far" "I really cant hear you" "3 ****ing times?!" "I guess I'll let you go, I cant hear you".

I thought about it for a second and then started to get furious. This is MY problem? Maybe I just quit my job and just repeat things to you over and over until you hear them. F that.

I said "guess so" and hung up.

*sigh*

Hey its your father. Help the man out. Go to Costco and help flip the bill and get the man a set of hearing aids. Then the man can hear, which will be a blessing you can't even imagine, and you wont have to get frustrated because he cant hear you.

Hearing loss is a disability, so sorry for the kick in the balls, but its pretty F-ing petty of you to get furious at him because of his disability.

Either put up or shut up.

Hey its your father. Help the man out. Go to Costco and help flip the bill and get the man a set of hearing aids. Then the man can hear, which will be a blessing you can't even imagine, and you wont have to get frustrated because he cant hear you.

Hearing loss is a disability, so sorry for the kick in the balls, but its pretty F-ing petty of you to get furious at him because of his disability.

Either put up or shut up.

I'm not buying this argument at all, sorry. Because he has an issue which is fully within his means to fix, its my problem? Nope.

We are talking a man of sound mind and mostly sound body of age 60... not exactly geriatric.

First let me say I know that I have hearing loss a little bit, I have trouble keeping up with the conversation in a noisy room. That said there is absolutely no reason that a hearing aid should cost $1000. They should be covered by insurance.
IF they can make a phone sound like it has surround sound for under $500 they should be able to make a hearing aid that amplifies your yapping mouth so that others can understand it. Wife says that I'm a grouch any way so it all comes down to this. .... I don't really care what you have to say anyway. If I really needed to hear better I'm sure that there is an app for that.....lol. :) by the way smile life is to short not to.

I found this thread amusing. I've had hearing problems since a young age, due to 1) refusing to ever wear my ear plugs at the shooting range when I was a teen (big mistake), and 2) a diving accident when I was in high school that almost completely destroyed my right ear drum.

Consequently, I have trouble even in one-on-one conversations sometimes. If there is a lot of background noise (music, other people talking, car engines, machinery, television) - forget about it.

*ambient noises*
Them - "garble garble garble blah blah blah."
Me - "Haha, yeah, right."
Them - "That was a question..."
Me - "****..."

Most people just know to speak up when addressing me. Sometimes I have to remind SWMBO to talk at me or I can't hear her. If she's facing the other way it gets warble-garbled.

I know I should get a hearing aid, but even in my late twenties I'm already old and crotchety. Now get off my lawn.

Yeah, I have hearing loss too. Shooting a shotgun with out hearing protection and 6 years in an artillery unit refusing to wear ear plugs. Idiotic, I know.

Again on the lighter side, one of my dads friends that I used to fish with was almost deaf and refused to use hearing aids. On one of our fishing trips I asked him (rather loudly) if he had heard the joke about the astronaut to which he replied "No thanks, I've already had some." I loved that man dearly and still miss him.

So we have a move in the right direction (that confirms my thesis). My father went to the doctor today and for a $5 copay had both ears flushed. He is experiencing immediate relief from the ringing he was complaining of, and seems to have regained a considerable amount of his hearing. He, and I, are tickled pink.

At $5, a painless proceedure that cant hurt and just might help is a no-brainer...

I pretty much have ringing in my ears all the time. I went to the doctor and had my hearing tested. She said I had a 50% loss of the highs but mid range and lows seemed to be fine. She asked me if I wanted hearing aids and I though, for what, so I can hear my wife better. I told her I would rather live with the excuse.

As an audiologist these are the kinds of statements that make me sick. I always love what Creamy and Cheezy post about, but this reply got me revved up.

1. Yes, hearing aids are expensive. That being said, there are many state agencies that will foot the bill and there are entry level devices that start around $1000 each.

2. Hearing aids DO work. Just ask any one of my patients. Especially the ones who come in bawling because they were able to participate in conversation at Easter brunch for the first time in 10 years. Only complaint? I wish I had done this sooner.

3. Feedback is a thing of the past. Current technology utilizes phase cancellation to eliminate feedback 100%. Not an issue, moving on.

4. Current technology uses up to 26 channels of bandwidth, meaning definition at better than 1/3 octave ranges.

5. If you think hearing aids are sold to maximize profit ask my wife. Audiologists are grossly underpaid as a profession. If I didn't love what I do, I sure as he77 wouldn't be doing it. There is nothing more rewarding to me than when a patient comes in and tells me that I have changed their life and helped restore something missing from their life.

6. The FDA average for upgrading (i.e. buying new hearing aids) is 3.7 years. Most of my patients get AT LEAST 4-5 good years out of a decent set of devices.

7. END RANT

All in all, it sounds like you went to the wrong place. Is your hearing healthcare provider a Doctor of Audiology or a hearing aid dispenser? Dispensers need an associates degree and a 6 month course. Audiologists require a minimum of a Doctoral degree POST bachelors. If you are in the Chicago area come see me and I will change the way you think about hearing aids. That I promise.

The company I work for sends us for audio metric testing every year, and for the first 6 or 7 I never gave it much thought, until the time before last. After I finished the test, the guy giving it explained that I had hearing loss in my left ear. He then asked if I had any "loud" hobbies and I told him that I shoot guns and play guitar, he said "AND you work in the oilfields!!". I was pretty upset when I left, I kept thinking "How? I'm not even 30.". I swear I have the hardest time hearing my wife in that ear too, it's like her voice is in a certain range that makes it that much harder, she gets PISSED at me all the time because I can't hear her.

Now I'm sure I'm not to the point of needing hearing aids or anything, but I don't WANT to be either. I ordered some muffs with the highest noise protection rating I could find for shooting, and I wear my hearing protection at work religiously. Still I'm sure I'm headed for it eventually, and what really bums me out about that is I've already learned from having bad vision, just how intolerant the world and it's people are, with people who have physical handicaps. No one cares, and they are pissed if it inconveniences them in the slightest way. I'm sure a lot of folks don't get hearing aids because they are just plain embarrassed about it.

The company I work for sends us for audio metric testing every year, and for the first 6 or 7 I never gave it much thought, until the time before last. After I finished the test, the guy giving it explained that I had hearing loss in my left ear. He then asked if I had any "loud" hobbies and I told him that I shoot guns and play guitar, he said "AND you work in the oilfields!!". I was pretty upset when I left, I kept thinking "How? I'm not even 30.". I swear I have the hardest time hearing my wife in that ear too, it's like her voice is in a certain range that makes it that much harder, she gets PISSED at me all the time because I can't hear her.

Now I'm sure I'm not to the point of needing hearing aids or anything, but I don't WANT to be either. I ordered some muffs with the highest noise protection rating I could find for shooting, and I wear my hearing protection at work religiously. Still I'm sure I'm headed for it eventually, and what really bums me out about that is I've already learned from having bad vision, just how intolerant the world and it's people are, with people who have physical handicaps. No one cares, and they are pissed if it inconveniences them in the slightest way. I'm sure a lot of folks don't get hearing aids because they are just plain embarrassed about it.

I just dont understand where the embarrassment comes from. If you broke your finger, would it embarrass you to wear the little finger splint? If you were farsighted, would you be embarrassed to wear glasses or contact lenses?

I'm not picking on you, but its a lot easier for one person with hearing loss to see a doctor and combat it (be it by having their ears flushed or by getting a hearing aid) than it is for for everyone else around that person to repeat themselves over and over or shout. Its not a small inconvenience to be 10 minutes into an explanation about something important only to find out the other person didnt hear you (or worse, wasnt listening) and have to start all over again. Sorry... I just wont do it.

I'd MUCH rather have a talk with someone with a hearing aid in than CONSTANTLY have to repeat myself, even though I was speaking very normally. We used to have a guy here at work who would have you repeat EVERY SINGLE THING because he didn't catch it the first time.

On the other hand, it's much easier to talk about the MIL behind her back when she is not wearing her hearing aids... ;)

Back