Huckleberry syrup addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishNChips

Reaction score
Hey there! So i just picked up a bottle of huckleberry syrup while I was in yellowstone national park, and at first I was like..yum, this would be great on pancakes. But then i realized, it would be even yummier in beer!!

I've brewed a few times, but have never used any syrup in a recipe. I understand that adding syrup during your hop boil is common since it sterilizes the syrup. However, would this ruin the huckleberry flavor or would it ferment out at all? What about adding the syrup during secondary fermentation?

Any tips and recommendations appreciated!! :ban:

Well it depends. Adding it in boil will make it a fermentable and the sugars will ferment and flavor will be reduced. If you add in secondary, while it could still ferment some, you are really just back sweetening the beer at that point. If you want it to stick out, then secondary. Ferment the beer, boil some water with the syrup to sanitize, chill and add to 2ary, rake beer on top. Something used in wine, pot sorbate?, will keep it from fermenting a lot. If you bottle cond your beers, this may be enough sugar.

That was something else I was considering. What if I use the syrup in place of priming sugar when I bottle? Maybe that would be enough to add the subtle huckle flavor i'm looking for?

Now that I think about it, this might be the best option since i only have 10oz of syrup. If I had real huckleberries that would be ideal, but i think this may still work out good. Now the real question is...hefe or wheat....

With only 10oz...as much as I love beer and love berries (even in beer, I just made a Marion Berry Strong Ale), you will probably enjoy the syrup more on pancakes. It is probably too small of an amount to add much flavor, you'll likely just get a slight hint of it. If you do do it, brew up a nice light American Wheat with a clean yeast to give the huckleberries a shot of coming through.

Back