HOWTO - Make a BrewPi Fermentation Controller For Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a third temp sensor for ambient room temp.

Here are screenshots of 1) my sensor configs, after hitting apply, 2) after hitting refresh, and 3) the logs immediately following those. 4) After scrolling the stderr log (Duh on where to find the logs.. I know just enough Linux to be dangerous lol)

I see the logs show no received devices, which seems obvious, but I'm at a loss..

EDIT: The other thing is my temps reverted to C through a reboot. It's like the arduino operates fine on ram, but can't write to permanent memory.

config.jpg

after refrsh.jpg

1st page.png

2nd page.PNG

Try running the fixPermissions.sh again. Did you do multiple manual installs or just the basic install script?

I haven't tried plugging anything in yet, I'll have to try that tonight and see if it works without it showing them as installed.

I ran fixPermissions last night to no avail. I just ran it again and still no change. I graphed the 3 temp probes through the night though. It seems to be working as designed, just without "installed" devices. So strange.

Is there a way to force a write to the arduino of the running config? Maybe temporarily editing a file or script?

I used the automated installer.

You'll need to go through the entire log. Somewhere there's either a bad line in a python script or there will be some kind of connection error or programming error. I had a similar problem months ago that I thought was just an issue of running Linux vm on a win8 machine sharing a USB port. But if I remember correctly it was some single file somewhere that didn't get the right permissions.

Are you using a licensed uno or is it some Chinese knockoff of a nano or something. There are some real dirty chips going around right now.

I'm using a sainsmart uno from the link in the OP. I'm beginning to suspect hardware.

Would you mind looking at the errors in post #3141? I get those same errors every time I flash the HEX via the website. They seem curious, considering what's going on...

How do I view the entirety of the logs? The web view seems limited.

Also, what version of brewpi is everyone running? I was looking through the brewpi.py script and it mentions the spark in several places. I'm just wondering if there's an error in the latest version, even though it's not really new.

Thanks all

It looks like a communication error. Where it says 'ser' it looks like that is a partial command

I'm changing to uno. I'm also not restoring anything most times.

From what I can tell 'ser' is a term in python, that I assume stands for serial. I think I'm going to end up learning more python than expected through this process lol.. I started digging in this morning

I'm also going to try flashing the uno without any devices attached, just to see if there's a difference.

Problem solved!!!!

Ran this command: echo -ne 'E\n' > /dev/ttyACM0

The EEPROM clear procedure I was using from the arduino site here just wasn't doing the trick I thought it was. I ran that command, DIDN'T reflash the HEX, added a device or 2 at a time and refreshed and they came up as installed as expected. I even did a reboot to be sure, and sure enough.. Still installed! So pumped!

There's a new brewpi forum and that's where I found the solution:

https://community.brewpi.com/t/detected-devices-cannot-be-installed/295

Thanks everyone for the effort and moral support with this :mug:

Well that's a first here. And thanks for posting the follow-up.

I wonder if this would fix @Amartel916 up as well...

Cheers!

Now I remember how I fixed it. I didn't I just started using serial over bt and the problem kinda went away.

Interestingly enough, I was having the exact same issue until tonight. Recently I completely rebuilt my Brewpi box with a bunch of new stuff, and some stuff that I reused from my old setup that I was never truly pleased with. Mine is powered by an old dell laptop and a Sainsmart Uno. After reflashing the uno, I had the exact same problem with devices that are "Installed" but they are not popping up in the "Installed" list along with no functionality. After running the command that was previously listed, everything seems to be working...kinda. Devices are still not showing up as installed, however they ARE functioning as they should be. Far as my temp sensors go, I've noticed that my fridge temp sensor now reads down to a 100th of a degree. For example, Instead of fridge reading 68.7, It might read 68.70, or 68.71, which I never had before. The other thing is that the beer temp sensor occasionally blanks out, reading --.- but then after 2 or 3 seconds it comes back reading the proper temperature. Strange. Someday I'll get to the bottom of this but in the meantime, it IS working. I can say that that much at least.

Just ran that script real fast before I headed off to work and IT WORKS!! @hopsandhops you are my hero right now!

Last edited:
I'm glad it worked for ya man! When I saw that post on the brewpi site, I was like omg! That's IT! Ran the script and when I had an installed device I was just elated. SWMBO definitely knew there was success from the other room lol

I had placed an order for a real Arduino UNO yesterday at work, thinking that might be the problem. Luckily they hadn't shipped it and I was able to cancel it.

Now to wire it into the fridge and get something in there! :rockin:

That's what I'll be doing tonight is getting the fridge all ready to try a couple text runs with some water. The wife will be happy that I'll be returning the TV to the bedroom now haha!

Thanks again for all the help!!

Install tightvnc! You'll only need the TV to install rasbian and tightvnc, and then you'll be able to administer remotely. I use the windows tightvnc viewer. Bertus Brewery has a good writeup on how to set it up in step 4 of this post:

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/04/how-to-monitor-your-fermentation-temps.html

I've been pretty much spending all my free time since the weekend getting brewpi working, so last night I told SWMBO she could have ME back lol

Rj-11 plugs are awesome. 3 pin aircraft connectors are cool to look at and work great. Last night I was looking at some usb connector ends I have laying around and thought about how well that would work too. Headphone jacks are not a good idea unless you intend to turn off your arduino, then plug in the connector before turning the arduino back on.

Any recommendations for a good Quick Disconnect for the DS18B20 Sensors?

I recently used these and these. I'm happy with them, they work great. But they are a bit pricey if you have many cables to make, with some other projects I have going I wish I had gone with RJ connectors from the beginning. At the time I didn't want to buy specialty tools for a one off job.

For the record, the one wire sensors for your brewpi can all be wired into one cable/connector, so no need to purchase multiple connectors for one brewpi box if you don't want to.

I keep getting the message below when trying to program my Arduino. I've cleared the EEPROM and ran the command: echo -ne 'E\n' > /dev/ttyUSB0 as I've seen mentioned before. I'm not showing any devices installed so something is not right. Any suggestions?

Brewpi Error.JPG

I had the same issue along the way. I forget the exact process I followed, but try loading the blink sketch and then running the eeprom clear command and then flashing the HEX

I keep getting the message below when trying to program my Arduino. I've cleared the EEPROM and ran the command: echo -ne 'E\n' > /dev/ttyUSB0 as I've seen mentioned before. I'm not showing any devices installed so something is not right. Any suggestions?

Try downloading the Arduino IDE, hook your Arduino up, set the USB com port to the one your Arduino shows up on and then open up the blank sketch which should be something like

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

And flash that to your Arduino, then try flashing the BrewPi stuff.

So i hacked my AVR code a bit to drastically lower the min/max heating delays and peak seeking timeouts to try and use my BrewPi setup as a ghetto HERMS controller controlling my pump, Brewpi Sparkish and what not.... It worked with water so im going to try it on my brew day tomorrow. So right now my pump should be able to turn on and off every 10 seconds if it needs...it shouldnt but it can.

So i hacked my AVR code a bit to drastically lower the min/max heating delays and peak seeking timeouts to try and use my BrewPi setup as a ghetto HERMS controller controlling my pump, Brewpi Sparkish and what not.... It worked with water so im going to try it on my brew day tomorrow. So right now my pump should be able to turn on and off every 10 seconds if it needs...it shouldnt but it can.

What kind of pump?

What kind of pump?

I just have a March High speed pump i got Christmas last year when one of the online shops does the 24 days of Christmas or whatever ended up getting it for $95 or something...wish i bought two! I throttle the output with a ball valve.

I normally wouldnt do this because it would just put my mechanical relays through my stress than they need, but im still mashing in my cooler and pumping back on top of it with the lid placed on top. I always seem to have hot and cold spots in my mash no matter how well I stir so this is an attempt to fix that. And because im using the cooler it shouldnt need to turn my pump on that often.

Why not pump continuously?

Because i dont have propane or electric automation, im just heating extra sparge water in my BK up to 180ish or so with the HERMS coil in it to keep the mash at temp.

Like i said its not to really improve much of anything over my existing process of just mashing in my cooler and sealing it up for an hour. Its more just for fun and to try something different...eventually i want to move to an electric system, but not until i get my new house in a few months.

Well you got a few months. It'll take that long for most of the parts to come in. Then it's all gotta be put together. What are waiting for? You're already behind schedule. You still gotta build a 1000 dollar control panel, just to get it finished and find out elco has designed a single device that'll do everything for you at a fraction of the cost....

Well you got a few months. It'll take that long for most of the parts to come in. Then it's all gotta be put together. What are waiting for? You're already behind schedule. You still gotta build a 1000 dollar control panel, just to get it finished and find out elco has designed a single device that'll do everything for you at a fraction of the cost....

Lol, biggest thing is Storage, im already paying to store our damn house in Uhaul i dont have room for buying more pots and things. And the new house has a 240V outlet right at the deck for the old Jacuzzi they had...cant wait.

Also the experiment sort of failed already, so im back to sealing up the cooler. The delay was just too slow it was heating up the mash too much.

I think you were trying to emulate Budweiser and do this "the hard way" ;)

With your coil bathing in 180°F water it's not surprising kicking on the pump would overheat the wort. If you went the other way, kept the coil at your desired mash temp plus whatever plumbing loss you're seeing to the top of the grain bed, you'd get the improved yield you're hoping for...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back