Howdy from Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeHorne

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I live in Houston Texas and have a budding interest in home brewing, but haven't have the slightest idea of where to start.

I am not sure what to brew and what kits are best for beginners. Please point me to the right direction!

You should brew what you like to drink. Start with a visit to a quality home brew shop, local or online. Northern Brewer and Morebeer have starter kits available. Also, consider a good book, like "How to Brew" which you can purchase or read chapter by chapter online.

The key is sanitation. The rest is as easy as baking a cake. Get a kit, follow the direction, enjoy drinking. Don't get fancy to start, just practice with some kits until you understand the cause and effect.

Enjoy!

A local homebrew shop is a great place to start. You may pay a little more for ingredients and supplies than you would online, but the advice and knowledge is worth it.

You can also read John Palmer's book (free online) which has all you need to get started. http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Most of all, just relax and don't stress over it. It's easy to make drinkable beer. You can refine your skills as you go along.

Welcome!

DeHorne said:
Sugar Land, you?

If you're in sugarland, your not that far from Defalco's at 610 and Stella Link. Look them up. They'll be able to get you started.

DeFalco's is a great shop. You may want to check out Texas Homebrewers in Katy http://www.texashomebrewers.com/ if you ever head north on 99. They have some guys there that are very helpful as well. Once you get your basics down youll really enjoy reading this site. Welcome :D

Thanks. Wesley I actually went to DeFlaco's today and got myself a beginners kit and materials/recipe for some wheat beer. I want to learn the basics and move up from there.

I'll have to check out Texas Home Brewers in Katy, which is also on my part of town.

Much thanks!

DeHorne said:
Hello everyone, I live in Houston Texas and have a budding interest in home brewing, but haven't have the slightest idea of where to start.

I am not sure what to brew and what kits are best for beginners. Please point me to the right direction!

Don't forget there is an awesome shop in Humble that offers free Home Brew Classes..
Backyard Home Brewers

Back