Howdy from Southern MN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been making wine, mead and sake for eight years with plenty of happy little accidents and a lot of delightful experiences. My husband and I have just recently started brewing together. I'm the creative-big idea-experience person and he's the details guy. Hoping to learn from other's wisdom and experience.

Great to have you join the community. There are quite-a-few very smart, creative and helpful people at HBT.

Best advice I can give watch the fermentation temps. Invest in a way to control the temps (chest freezer with external temp control or beverage center). Don't want too cold or too hot. Pay attention to the yeast recommended temp range and figure, probably, at least 10F increase in temp during active fermentation.

Last edited:
I'm in Cannon Falls. It would have been just as accurate to say I'm a southern in Minnesota since I'm 5th generation Floridian who moved up because who needs warmth and sunshine?!

Also, what is it, "Land of 10,000 Lakes"? Another MN I met told me the flies in MN are terrible due to all the lakes. I had to believe him since I've never, unless listening to WCCO counts, been to MN.
We do have awful LBFs (little black flies) when it's been wet. We keep a Bug-A-Salt in our gazebo so we can reduce the headcount that makes it into our glasses. I'm not an entomology expert, but it would make since that the lakes could cause a high LBT count.

How have the wines, meads and sakes turned out?

I'm currently serving a Peach mead. I have a cherry mead "on deck".
I've done well with all my meads except my Eric the Viking, which turned out very angry and confused.

I'd love to give peaches another go. I made a peach wine a few years back that made me sad. It tasted more like the peach skin than the peach even though I peeled them. Did you freeze your peaches first? Is it peachy?
I have an orange melomel on deck (fingers crossed).

Back