How to scale ABV in ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I was reading the thread regarding BierMuncher's Red Hook ESB clone and it brought up a question. He mentioned that he wanted a beer a little less in alcohol and would make up for the mouth feel lost by increasing the mash temp. That roughly makes sense to me. My question is if you have a recipe that takes X lbs of base malt and you want to either increase or decrease the ABV, what do you do with the specialty grain? Would you scale that by the same percentage? I know that there is no tride and true answer, just looking for general recommendations.

Thanks!

You cannot scale back the O.G. and still end up with the same beer. It can come close, but it won't look anything like the original grist ratios.

I don't scale the specialty grains or the hops. If you just change the base grain 10-15%, you'll have a very similar beer. However, if you are talking about moving the ABV 20% or more, then you're into a totally different beer.

Latest posts

Back