How to remove hose from regulator???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
So I ordered three of these regs with hoses from here:
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=50678&sid=&eid=

My plan is to only use the regs itself in place of ball/needle valves for my 3 burner brew stand. Hence I need to remove the hose and the stem valve from each end. The problem is they're screwed in with lok tight or something like that. It has some red stuff on the threads. Is there something I can put on it to make it easier to remove? Or even apply some heat or something without damaging the internals of the reg itself?

This sucks. The only standalone reg that Agri sells is here: http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-regulator-/p/36292/cn/5400001/

They're $28/each. After I send back these ones and repay for shipping, etc I'll end up spending over $40/each on regs.

Please don't ask why I am using regs instead of ball/needle valves. Lets just say voices in my head are making me do it.

Thanks all.

Gregg

Red loctite is a *****, it is meant to not be removed. Soak it in mineral spirits is all that I can think of, but I have no clue how to get that stuff off. I always learned not to use the red unless you were sure you didn't want it to come off.

Good Luck!

So I ordered three of these regs with hoses from here:
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=50678&sid=&eid=

My plan is to only use the regs itself in place of ball/needle valves for my 3 burner brew stand. Hence I need to remove the hose and the stem valve from each end. The problem is they're screwed in with lok tight or something like that. It has some red stuff on the threads. Is there something I can put on it to make it easier to remove? Or even apply some heat or something without damaging the internals of the reg itself?

This sucks. The only standalone reg that Agri sells is here: http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-regulator-/p/36292/cn/5400001/

They're $28/each. After I send back these ones and repay for shipping, etc I'll end up spending over $40/each on regs.

Please don't ask why I am using regs instead of ball/needle valves. Lets just say voices in my head are making me do it.

Thanks all.

Gregg

we use heat to soften up the red loctite but that may damage the reg, the other option is toi cut it off flush and use the pipe tap drill, drill it out and retap the threads

Use a little heat and it should come off without hurting anything. I did the same thing after fighting with one of those.

I had the exact same problem because I took this same route when I built my 3 burner set up. My thought was that I could get more precise control with the reg's instead of ball valves. My set up had a rigid gas pipe with a hose hooked to the tank. The rigid pipe had 3 tees that I connected the reg's to. I had to go all over creation to find and buy fittings to get this to plumb up. Once I did i was very disappointed. I wound up going with the ball valves and one 350lb regulator on the tank ($40) adjusted down to 20lbs.
Test the regs you are using on your burners before you go to far is the moral of my story. I had to put the reg's in a vise and get down with a wrench and grunt, but they come out. Good luck

I had the exact same problem because I took this same route when I built my 3 burner set up. My thought was that I could get more precise control with the reg's instead of ball valves. My set up had a rigid gas pipe with a hose hooked to the tank. The rigid pipe had 3 tees that I connected the reg's to. I had to go all over creation to find and buy fittings to get this to plumb up. Once I did i was very disappointed. I wound up going with the ball valves and one 350lb regulator on the tank ($40) adjusted down to 20lbs.
Test the regs you are using on your burners before you go to far is the moral of my story. I had to put the reg's in a vise and get down with a wrench and grunt, but they come out. Good luck

Thanks for the advice. What made the disappointment where you went with ball valves after all? I tried ball valves to begin with and had issues with using 2 burners at once where changing one ball valve effected the downstream burner as well as the current burner since it seemed to effect the entire pressure of the gas manifold.

Back