Where to get standalone propane regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
I don't want them with any hoses or stem valves on them. Just the regulator.

Like this:
36292.jpg

I need them to be high pressure adjustable from 0 to at least 15 psi.

The only one I can find is here: http://www.agrisupply.com/high-pressure-regulator-/p/36292/cn/5400001/

Problem is they are $28/each plus $9 shipping. I need 3 and they charge $9 shipping for each one which is insane. $27 shipping for 4 lbs of stuff that fit in a shoe box?

Anyway, I don't want to spend $110 for 3 regs.

I already tried getting three regs with the hoses and stem valves on them (see here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-remove-hose-regulator-240686/)

Problem is its impossible to remove the hose and stem valve since they're on there with loctite.

So I am looking for some cheaper alternatives. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey I commented on your other thread and it looks like you are already to the point I found myself at. The regulator I have is 0-350lb and has a gauge on it. Mine is made by a company called Fisher control. After driving all over Dallas for days, trying BBQ's galore, welding shops, all that BS, in desperation I went to a lil propane shop in the Middle of a trailer park. There were two old men in there with cowboy hats on and i asked if they could help me with the regualtor problem sorta along the same lines as your other post. They asked me what I was cooking and I just said mash. Without blinking one got up and said well let me show you what you need. He went to a cabinet and got out the gauge, the regulator, some pipe dope and put the gauge on the reg for me. Cost me about $45. While he was putting the gauge on the reg I sorta jokingly said you get many mash cookers in here. He just said oh yeah, that and a few glass blowers. So I was blown away that after going to every big box Lowes and Home Depot and BBQ's galore and Ace hardware all over Dallas, it was the old man in the cowboy hat at the lil propane building in the trailer park right down the road from my house. Trust me the big regulator is the way to go. Dont mess with getting those hoses off. I tried the small regs and it was like a mouse farting. I got the regualtor like you have and al three burners blaze like the fires of hell.

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

In his other thread I think he mentioned that instead of using ball/needle valves for each burner after a single regulator he is planning to use a regulator for each burner.

Oh...........any reason why? The regulator is for the tank not the burner.

I'm thinking he's using the regulator with the dial on the top. Thats what I'm using temporarily until I figure out how I want to plumb my system. I took 2 stems off 2 different regulators today. One required a little heat and a large wrench, the other came off with just a socket and wrench. I put the reg. in a vice to hold it tight.

cook1969, can you provide a part number on that regulator that you installed? Also, what kind of burners are you using?

he might be using 3 regulators because he wants to run 3 burners at once without freezing the propane tank... or running out of propane mid boil

Sorry all for not responding earlier. No internet at work.

So yes I am using three regs for three burners instead of ball or needle valves. I found that using a single reg at the propane coupled with needle valves at each burner still makes it difficult to set burners being on simultaneously. In other words, when I set one needle valve, it effects the other one that is one at the same time. So I am constantly messing with the valves. Catt22 is a big proponent of multiple regs instead of needle valves, so I figured I would give it a shot. I already have a nice 0-30 psi reg at the propane source.

I did find some 0-15 psi regs here: http://www.protanksupply.com/propane-regulators_detail.asp?ID=2000 for $60 shipped for all three. Not bad.

I think this is the route I will take.

So yes I am using three regs for three burners instead of ball or needle valves. I found that using a single reg at the propane coupled with needle valves at each burner still makes it difficult to set burners being on simultaneously. In other words, when I set one needle valve, it effects the other one that is one at the same time. So I am constantly messing with the valves. Catt22 is a big proponent of multiple regs instead of needle valves, so I figured I would give it a shot. I already have a nice 0-30 psi reg at the propane source.

Yes, I think you will like that set up using individual adjustable regulators for each burner. That's a really good price on the regulators too. Let us know how it works once you get them hooked up.

I plumbed my rig last night with two burners and two adjustable regulators, it works great and I have really good control of the flame.

I will give you a part number when I get to the house. The reason I ran the one regulator on the tank and used ball valves is because the flame was very very weak when I ran a small regulator (10 lb) on each burner. They were the regs that came with the turkey cookers. I thought that for 39$ a piece they'd work good because I used alot of the steel from the cookers and they came each with a reg, but as I said that didn't work too good. Those burners are off of academy sports turkey cookers. They are the typical turkey cooker cone type burner. I cut and modified and re welded the burner stands to sit on the frame I built. I can get 10 gallons of strike water to temp pretty fast. I can get the brew keggle to a boil pretty quick too. I have the pressure set to 15lbs and can run all three burners no prob. In all honesty I've never used more than one at a time. If I turn the ball valve more than half up it turns the metal molten Red on the frames so I usually don't open them too far. I suppose in the course of brewing you wouldn't use 3 ever but I wanted to be able to use the thing for crawfish and huge pots of beans as well. Sorry If I'm rambling but this was my first build and I had some
Trial and error to get the burners to heat quick and all go like I wanted. If you care i can show you how i modified the frames. Hope this helps!!!

I will give you a part number when I get to the house. The reason I ran the one regulator on the tank and used ball valves is because the flame was very very weak when I ran a small regulator (10 lb) on each burner. They were the regs that came with the turkey cookers. I thought that for 39$ a piece they'd work good because I used alot of the steel from the cookers and they came each with a reg, but as I said that didn't work too good. Those burners are off of academy sports turkey cookers. They are the typical turkey cooker cone type burner. I cut and modified and re welded the burner stands to sit on the frame I built. I can get 10 gallons of strike water to temp pretty fast. I can get the brew keggle to a boil pretty quick too. I have the pressure set to 15lbs and can run all three burners no prob. In all honesty I've never used more than one at a time. If I turn the ball valve more than half up it turns the metal molten Red on the frames so I usually don't open them too far. I suppose in the course of brewing you wouldn't use 3 ever but I wanted to be able to use the thing for crawfish and huge pots of beans as well. Sorry If I'm rambling but this was my first build and I had some
Trial and error to get the burners to heat quick and all go like I wanted. If you care i can show you how i modified the frames. Hope this helps!!!

It must make a difference if you are hooked up to house propane. I have 2 turkey fryer burners with 10 psi regulators and they both run strong at the same time. I suppose the house regulator has enough psi to make it work that way. I used fryers from bass pro and discovered that the burner frame and windscreen fit perfectly in the opening in mystand. At $30 a piece it was way easier to mount those than it was to fabricate everything.

Latest posts

Back