How to kill wild yeast in equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently had a beer judge tell me that he noticed hints of wild yeast infection in a beer I made. I use a stainless steel fermentor (SS Brewbucket Brewmaster Edition) and wonder if maybe I need to use something to kill whatever yeast may be hanging on in the dip tube/racking valve or elsewhere. I heard once about enzymes that eat all yeast. Any thoughts? Also, I noticed today that my bottling bucket had a scratch in it. Does anyone have long term replacements for plastic bottling buckets assuming I still want to bottle? Thanks!

I know this isn't answering your question but do you notice hints of it? Sometimes, I feel like tastes can be a bit subjective. Perhaps he's right, or perhaps he's imagining he's tasting an off flavor. Has anyone else confirmed or said the same thing?

Did you brew anything in your SS Brewbucket with wild yeast in it? If not, what's your standard cleaning process?

I'm not familiar with the brew bucket but I think a solid method would be to pull off all the fittings and boil them, if they're removable. If they're not removable, I would think being stainless you could boil some water and soak the inside of the brew bucket in the near boiling water, then do a hot PBW soak followed by some starsan. I would think this would do the trick but not sure.

If this is your standard process, then unsure really what else to do, and sorry for not being able to help much.

As far as long term replacements for bottling buckets, without going to a stainless kettle with a drain valve not sure about anything else other than a new bucket. May be a stupid question but why do you want to replace it?

That is what sanitizing does. I use Starsan. Iodaphor is another popular sanitizer. You could bottle from a stainless steel pot. I don't know about any enzymes.

This is the first time I have ever heard the description of "hints of wild yeast infection" used by a judge. I don't know that much about assessing off flavors but there are so many ways to get them I wonder how you can attribute "a hint" to wild yeast.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the opinion of one judge. If I got the same from several then I would worry.

If you are really worried you might take all the SS parts and bake them in the oven, and replace the plastic parts.

Latest posts

Back