How To Hook Up Submersible Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
Due to a variety of reasons which I won't go too crazy explaining here, I want to use a submersible pump to run water through my wort chiller (possibly do the recirculation thing as well). I bought this cheap pump:

http://www.harborfreight.com/200-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68372.html

Now, my wort chiller has garden hose connections. This thing says has 5/16 and 1/2 input/outputs. How do I hook up a hose correctly to this and then fit it with my chiller? Seems like the diameters are all different. Any thoughts?

Go to your local Ace Hardware........ or whatever, and you will find a fitting that has a male garden hose end on one end and male or female 1/2" pipe thread on the other.... I use these all the time.

Alternatively buy a faucet that has pipe thread on one end and a garden hose on the other and use it as a valve to control flow.

Here's one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Industrial-Fitting-Female-50570/dp/B0015AUSCY

H.W.

Last edited by a moderator:
get a cheap garden hose, cut off a length of hose with the end that will attach to your chiller, put a hose clamp on the cut end and attach it to the pump.

The description says that it has 1/2" npt "DISCHARGE NPT (IN.) 1/2 in. The picture doesn't look like it. I think you will be disappointed at the flow through your chiller.

H.W.

If it's an immersion chiller, then the entire apparatus (including the pump) doesn't touch your beer, so IMHO it makes no sense to spend extra money on fancy materials.

The description says that it has 1/2" npt "DISCHARGE NPT (IN.) 1/2 in. The picture doesn't look like it. I think you will be disappointed at the flow through your chiller.

H.W.

The test will tell, I guess. Worst case, I return it. It was $12...

Back