How to avoid a BMC-lite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S-Met

Department of Redundancy Department.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have all done things that we aren't exactly proud. I do have to say that I'm not a fan of BMC, however sometimes you just have to drink one. I know it's easy to jump up and say, I will never drink that swill, however some social situations it would be impolite to not accept the drink. Usually these are family events or functions and the beer decision is definitely on quantity not quality. I don't want a start the socioeconomic discussion, but if you (not the homebrew you) are supplying beer for a 100+ for the evening, it kind of makes sense. Plus you don't get sad when you find 70 1/2 drank cups of your precious brew at the end of the night.

Some cultures what even be offended if you don't drink with them. Some exceptions if you were an alcoholic or whatever, but that's not you because you wouldn't be here if you were.

Some of my wife's cousins love to hand out Bud Lights. I can't stand the things myself but when we go to weddings and other family functions they are all too proud to hand them to me. One of my tricks that I have learned is that I will finish my first can rather quickly and then carry around the empty can for the remainder of the evening pretending like I just got another beer. Usually gets me out of the event without offending too many people.

What awful things have you done to avoid BMC?

carry around the empty can
Just carry around the full can until you head to the restroom to dispose of the contents properly :)

Better yet, hand it to someone later with a "Hey! I got you another beer!"

Fortunately I've never been in a situation where I was expected to drink BMC.
My friend/family gatherings all have craft options (sometimes as a cash bar) or wine. Or it's BYOB.

Last edited:
I think that there's a time and place.... Someone might enjoy fine wines and enjoy them at a nice restaurant with a well aged steak......but sitting on the beach wouldn't be the place for that wine. I love all kinds of really good beers, and am no fan of BMC, but I do think it has it's place. Sometimes you're at some event in warm weather where you're drinking all day (and into the night). BMC fits OK here. Sure, some small breweries make light beers, but personally I don't care for them that much either, so I'm not paying $9+ per 6 pack just to 'stick it to the man.'

Graciously decline, like, "thanks, but I think I'll pass." Just because they are offering doesn't mean you have to take one.
Sometimes you do have to take the offering. Sign of respect in certain situations and in cultures.

but sitting on the beach wouldn't be the place for that wine.
Depends on the beach and depends on the wine. Cold weather north west cost beaches, Champagne at sunset (or anytime), an Alsacian blend as well as a lighter Rhone varietals are all great options.

Hot weather beach, different story as you say below. I've drank plenty of bmc lite while floating around in the middle of a lake. An unopened can of beer floats in water. You can chuck me a brew from the boat and it just needs to be close. If it gets too warm, dump it. No feelings are hurt.

I love all kinds of really good beers, and am no fan of BMC, but I do think it has it's place. Sometimes you're at some event in warm weather where you're drinking all day (and into the night). BMC fits OK here.

If you put that offered can into a tube sock and beat them with it they will likely stop pushing BMC on you.
Would get you hanged, killed, stabbed then shot and beaten. But you are correct, no further pushing of BMC ;).

My guilty pleasure on a hot summer day is an ice cold Corona (or 2) with a couple limes.

Graciously decline, like, "thanks, but I think I'll pass." Just because they are offering doesn't mean you have to take one.

This...

Why would anyone presume a mandatory acceptance of the obligatory offering?
Politely decline the pond swill.
Besides.... it shows people you're not an alcoholic.

Looking at this from another angle here. How many times have bud drinkers had to endure someone's homebrew milk stout or whatever, exact same situation really.

Looking at this from another angle here. How many times have bud drinkers had to endure someone's homebrew milk stout or whatever, exact same situation really.
You say 'endure', I say 'be enlightened by'.

Also, please leave sensible and thoughtful answers for other forums.

Sometimes you do have to take the offering. Sign of respect in certain situations and in cultures.

Yeah, if I was Anthony Bourdain, sitting in the rain forest being offered the traditional drink by the locals. But at a friend's house party or backyard barbecue I doubt very much that the "respect of cultures" thing is going to come into play, lol.

People, this isn't rocket science. If you're offered something, either accept or graciously decline. Not many hosts are going to get butthurt over this.

Always bring an extra 12 pack of good brew with you that's how you avoid this and if you forgot leave and get some locally you can always find Guinness Extra Stout even at a 7-11

If their buying it, i'll drink it...It's got more purity than my homebrew! but honestly, neighbor bought me a twelver of milwaukee's as payment for some spare pier blocks...it sat in my fridge and every so often when he was out back i'd grab a couple and split it with him...it went on for about 7-8 months that way....now those damn pier blocks are sitting in his yard instead of mine!

I had the opposite problem of this over the weekend, celebrated a category win for a homebrew competition and I was so nervous with people congratulating me talking up my beer suddenly interested in my opinions on other beers etc. that I started drinking copious amounts of free, delicious beer (competition into AHA rally=speed drinking, lesson learned).

The next day I really wished I had mixed a couple Miller Lites in with the IPA's and heady brews I drank the entire night, it would have saved me (some) pain the next day for sure. Sometimes BMC water is your friend.

Back