How Soon to Brew a Dunkelweizen for Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankieboy007

Reaction score
Had a discussion about beer freshness with a fellow brewer, the gist (or grist, if you prefer) being whether a dunkelweizen brewed in Sept would still be good and fresh for a competition in March. I brewed a recipe that garnered me first place in the Bluebonnet Brewoff this past March, but it was brewed about 2 months (in the bottle for a month) before the actual judging. This batch would have been in the bottle for ~ 6 months! Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks in advance!!

I would say 6 months is pretty long for a Dunkel. They are preferred young so either wait to brew closer to march or enter something else.

Ideally, my dunkels are in the fermenter for 10 days and in the kegerator to force carb for 7-10 days, then I start serving them, and in my experience they peak about a week or two after I start drinking them, so about 24-30 days after brewday.

For a bottler, I'd go 10-12 days in the fermenter, 14-16 days bottle carb/condition, and 48 hours in the fridge!

Back