How should I Clean new Conical before 1st use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWAL

Reaction score
I just purchased a conical from SS Brewtech, they suggest using TSP cleaner before the 1st use then re-passivate any in input ?
How are others cleaning stainless tanks prior to 1st use ?
I was hoping to fill w/ PBW and soak fittings and a light scrub w/ white pad then a soaking w/ star san,any reason I shoudn'tl go this direction?

Yes ,I understand that,with what is the question.
Is it necessary to use trisodium phosphate or will a good soak with PBW do the job ?

Sorry, missed the "how" part and thought you were having a debate ;)

I'd go with anything that will cut machine oil, as that's pretty much all you're going to be dealing with at this point. Hot PBW or OxyClean should do that...

Cheers!

Yes ,I understand that,with what is the question.
Is it necessary to use trisodium phosphate or will a good soak with PBW do the job ?

My understand is that PBW already contains something similar to TSP if not TSP itself (the homemade PBW recipe I usually see is oxyclean + tsp), so I'd assume PBW will get the job done just fine.

Thanks (both of you).
TSP sounds a little harsh but I guess they wouldn't suggest it if it was harmful.
I'd rather stick to what I have on hand.

Cheers !

When I bought my kettles they said to passivate with Bar Keeper's Friend.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

I just purchased a conical from SS Brewtech, they suggest using TSP cleaner before the 1st use then re-passivate any in input ?
How are others cleaning stainless tanks prior to 1st use ?
I was hoping to fill w/ PBW and soak fittings and a light scrub w/ white pad then a soaking w/ star san,any reason I shoudn'tl go this direction?

PBW won’t remove any remaining machining oils. That’s why they suggest tsp. Tsp, rinse PBW, rinse, Star San then air dry. Good to go

Back