How often do you disassemble and clean your March pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlodian

Reaction score
I was doing some re-plumbing and needed to reposition the head of my March pump. While the head was off I decided to open it completely just to verify that there was no crud inside. Well to my surprise there was crud inside. I should mention that I run a clean shop--oxiclean at the beginning and end of every brew day, with a soak and long recirc with the pump, followed by fresh water, etc.

marchparts1.jpg

On the impeller I found a tiny stripe of beer residue on the stainless magnet housing exactly inline with each vane ('6' in diagram), everything else was sparkly clean. I'm supposing that the vanes block the flow of cleaning solution and allow a buildup.

Has anyone else seen this?

I never disassemble my pump. I do circulate hot Oxyclean or dishwasher detergent through it for long periods and often for as long as 24 hours. Flush with hot water to rinse. Another flush with hot water prior to use and I'm good to go. Never had any problems with it using this method.

I just rinse with hot water and then recirculate the boiling wort through for the last few min of the boil.

I have the stainless clover pump and after running a little bit of water through I take the head off, soak it in cleaner, then in sanitizer after every batch. Once it drys I put plastic caps over the ends until next use.

After every brew i run PBW through it and then rinse.
After every 2nd, 3rd brew i pull it apart and usually find some build up either hop pellet bits or dry sticky malt.

I think its worth while to clean it when you can.

I saw this post a few days ago so it inspired me to grab my pump and open it up to check since it had been quite a while since the last time.

It was perfectly clean on the inside.

I recirculate cleaner (oxyclean, PBW, UBC, whatever I have on hand) through it and my CFC (both directions) at the end of the brewday, then I recirculate hot water through it

Back