How do YOU clean your racking cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptMogul

Reaction score
I clean mine by pumping hot Oxyclean through my SS cane and hose for about 5 min, every 4 to 5 uses with no problems yet. I spray sanitizer, Iodine, inside for a few min before use. I am wondering what else works
Ed B

Have you tried this? I cant find anything to go around the neck. It looks great for tubes and hoses
Ed B

I started off using dish soap and water early on. Since gotten away from that. Switched to rinsing out with water, run some Star San through it and let it air dry. For the heck of it, I ran some hot PBW water through it after about 5 just Star San rinses, and I could not believe how much color came out of the cane. SO, always hot PBW for a few minutes, then rinse, then Star San, and air dry,

Distilled vinegar, let it soak for 15-30 minutes then rinse

Have you tried this? I cant find anything to go around the neck. It looks great for tubes and hoses
Ed B
I have a long brush like the one shown and it will go up to the curve halfway then I insert in the other cane end to do the other side. I can tell the brush gets in there because it bends.

For the heck of it, I ran some hot PBW water through it [...], and I could not believe how much color came out of the cane.
Wait until you use some BKF and a long 5/16" OD diptube/draw brush on the inside of that cane...
There was a load of brown/dark gray matter coming out of there, I couldn't believe either. I kept brushing, rinsing, refreshing the BKF until it all came out in a light color.

I have a bunch of small/narrow chem lab brushes I can bend to go into the curved neck. The twisted wire is much thinner and more flexible than that of the long draw brushes.

I have a long brush like the one shown and it will go up to the curve halfway then I insert in the other cane end to do the other side. I can tell the brush gets in there because it bends.
Looks like I will try one, thanks

Who needs a racking cane anyway?
1657397703403.png

I normally wash it with hot water and then soak in a bleach water soultion if theres buildup I like to use a small brush cut from a bruck like whats shown that i epoxy to a length of plastic coated wire with covered ends and will use that as a pull through like a barrel brush for my rifles. when i male a new one I'll so a how to on making it.

I'm thinking I'd better step up my post-racking sanitation protocol...

I just rinse it after use and soak it in StarSan before the next use. But I rarely use it. I used it today for the first time in years.

Just for kicks I photographed one of my racking tubings in the same pan as the pseudo-closed-transfer-return-gas line. I wonder which one was for beer...
1657545515534.png

But the autosiphon is nice and clear.

It is clear so I just flush water.
I pull a bit of soapy water thru it first, but it's mostly just a rinse with tubing (which just got the same treatment) attached.. I've just washed stuff since 1994. It's the same cane and 6 feet of tubing I got back in 1994. No infections.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. I did a deep hot soak in oxyclean and rodded the cane and tubing with a new long handled brush. Nothing, no crud, dirty water, nothing. I guess a good rinse with soap and water works fine
Ed B

Immediately after use rinse with hot water and then spray with Starsan. I use a spray bottle so if I set it to the narrow stream I can direct it into the tube. Then slosh, drain and set aside to dry.

Rinse with water, then with star san.
At least, I used to.
Then I left it to dry and one of those mud house building insects decided to build in it. And that stuff is solid!
Got it visually clean by using a skewer, cloth on metal string, soaking etc.
But may have damaged the inside a bit. Not easy to get a new one, unfortunately.
So now I soak in (diluted) vinegar/chlorine mix, then rinse with water. Then with star san.
I do this before and after use.
So far so good....
Hoping to get a new auto syphon sometime soon.

Nothing, no crud, dirty water, nothing. I guess a good rinse with soap and water works fine
I thought that too.
Until I put BKF (Bar Keepers Friend) powder on the draw brush... 😲

Now my stainless cane is from 2009, so it had 7-some years of use on it. And it was never "properly cleaned" with some scouring powder before, since I bought it.

Rinse with water, then with star san.
At least, I used to.
Then I left it to dry and one of those mud house building insects decided to build in it. And that stuff is solid!
Got it visually clean by using a skewer, cloth on metal string, soaking etc.
But may have damaged the inside a bit. Not easy to get a new one, unfortunately.
So now I soak in (diluted) vinegar/chlorine mix, then rinse with water. Then with star san.
I do this before and after use.
So far so good....
Is it a (true) cane, a single pipe that needs to be pre-primed? Or an auto siphon?

Is that cane plastic (acrylic) or stainless?
Plastic will get scratched or scuffed much easier, you can't really put any "grit" or even (course) scouring powder on it. Even a brush with some dirt or a few grains of sand in it can scratch it. Light surface scratches are probably acceptable, as long as they're not too deep.

Hoping to get a new auto syphon sometime soon.
I'd rather use a good old cane instead of an air-sucking auto siphon. Oxidation is real!
Try to do everything possible to prevent air from coming in contact with beer.

Is it a (true) cane, a single pipe that needs to be pre-primed? Or an auto siphon?

Is that cane plastic (acrylic) or stainless?
Plastic will get scratched or scuffed much easier, you can't really put any "grit" or even (course) scouring powder on it. Even a brush with some dirt or a few grains of sand in it can scratch it. Light surface scratches are probably acceptable, as long as they're not too deep.

I'd rather use a good old cane instead of an air-sucking auto siphon. Oxidation is real!
Oh stop that superstitious mumbo jumbo. Oxygen doesn't exist.

The cleaning an auto-siphon thing did make me seriously consider one of these:
https://www.brewsensible.com/Has anyone on here tried one out? A bit pricey for an autosiphon, but it really does look like 'The Last One You'll Ever Buy'.
?:coff4:

I've seen threads discussing air being sucked in around the "plunger" on the end of the cane part in some cases, but I didn't think it was necessarily a problem. I watch for air bubbles when racking and haven't seen any. There have been suggestions of pouring a little Star San (or maybe beer) into the outer tube so that air can't get in - only the Star San or beer would be sucked in. I used to use a plain cane and tube, filled with Star San to prime it. But lowering it into the bucket with my thumb over the end bothered me - my arm might touch the side of the bucket. What are your thoughts?

At risk of sounding naive, I've always done my best to purge (with CO2) siphon, hoses and racking canes to the best of my ability, though fully aware that there will be some O2 in such procedures, but I do try to at least minimize it.

The cleaning an auto-siphon thing did make me seriously consider one of these:
https://www.brewsensible.com/Has anyone on here tried one out? A bit pricey for an autosiphon, but it really does look like 'The Last One You'll Ever Buy'.
?:coff4:
I used to have this unit and loved the hell out of it. Lost mine in the fire but will get it again at some point.

Just for kicks I photographed one of my racking tubings in the same pan as the pseudo-closed-transfer-return-gas line. I wonder which one was for beer...
View attachment 774576

But the autosiphon is nice and clear.
balrod, I use the same plastic tray to clean and star san my gear. I purchased two more for washing and star san when I do a few bottles.

Back