How much Oak to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
I have my first sour attempt going on. I got some wild bugs, lacto and others i think but not 100% sure. I just too 1 gal of my saison after fermentation was done and added the wild bugs too it. I want to age it on some oak too. My question is how long should i let them work and how much oak to use/

Thank you,
DP

It depends on how much oak character you wish to impart. For one gallon of beer, however, I would recommend about .5- 1 oz of oak cubes since they have less surface area than chips. Use medium toast oak. Boil them to remove the new oak character. 15 minutes or so. Alcohol will leach more of the oak tannins than boiling water, so go easy as they will not be fully denatured.

Oak gives a place for Brett to lurk, and Brett will consume some of the cullubiose in the toasted wood. I would leave them in for 6 months, and see if the oak becomes too dominant.

i used a half "stave" (about 6" long, 1" wide and .25" thick) for 1.5 g of belgian tripel i did and left it in for a month. for me it tasted like "i think there's oak in here" which is all i wanted.

Back