How Much Dry Yeast for Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PangaeaBeerFood

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a relatively strong ale (8% pre-bourbon) that I've been aging on bourbon-soaked oak cubes for 3-4 months now.

I'm going to bottle tonight and bought a pack of Dry Pasteur Champagne Yeast to add to the beer and help carbonate it, because I'm assuming after 4 months most of the original yeast has dropped out.

How much of the dry yeast should I add? How long do I let it sit before adding it to bottling bucket? It'll be about 4 gallons when all is said and done.

And before you say it, the beer fermented VERY dry, so I'm not concerned with bottle bombs.

After 4 months, I wouldn't even bother adding yeast. I've bottled a lambic that has sat in secondary for 2 years without fresh yeast and it turned out fine, carbonation wise.

I agree, no yeast needed, however, if you want to add a third to a half pack will do the job. Hydrate the yeast and add it to your bottling bucket while racking. Give it a GENTLE stirring with a sanitized spoon.

Thirded, no need to add addition yeast.

I only add yeast to my meads as they tend to 2ndry for a year or two.

Back