How much cocao powder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I'm making a 1 gallon batch of chocolate porter and I'm looking for a noticeable level of chocolate but not a "whooaaa chocolate" level. Anybody have any experience using just cocao powder?

its hard to tell what you might think "noticeable" and "whooaa" mean and whether someone else may think the same.

this is just me, but i would make a tincture with cocoa powder and vodka in a sealed container and let it sit for 2-3 weeks... then use an eye dropper and drop increasing drops into bottles/samples to see what flavor you want.

then let a few others sample and see if you get the same "noticeable" and "whooaa" from them :)

Basically looking for a level where the chocolate is noticeable but still blends well with the porter flavors

I'd shy away from the powder and go with a tincture of cacao nibs in vodka. Add it to your batch as needed until you hit "your" level.

Basically looking for a level where the chocolate is noticeable but still blends well with the porter flavors
this is doable even without any chocolate what does your recipe look like

with all that said i have found this lil bit of info

chocolate Guidelines on Quantity by Form Based on a 5-Gallon Batch:

Use one of these as a standalone, or reduce amounts and use a combination of forms:

Stouts:
Raw cacao beans, cracked (6 oz)
Roasted cacao beans, cracked (6 oz)
Cacao nibs (3 oz)
Cocoa powder (2 TBSP)
Baker’s chocolate (2 oz.)
Sweetened processed chocolate (6 oz)
Chips (6 oz)
Liqueur (1/4 – 1 cup)
Extract (4 tsp – 4 TBSP)

This is a recipe I've done before with cacao nibs and it's delicious but I want more chocolate oomph to it...

1lb 12oz 2 row
4 oz victory
2oz American chocolate malt
2oz blackprinz
2oz crystal 60

All fuggles to 20 ibu. Wlp001

Back