Another Chocolate Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im planning a couple chocolate Meads. Two Bochets 1 about 14% and one about 8%. Let me preface this with the statement that i have the recipes, nutrient protocol temp etc down. The question has nothing to do with what kind of chocolate. I have 32 oz of unsweetened baking powder that was gifted to me. So thats what i intend to use.

The question is for those of you who have used chocolate powder. What is the best way to add it?
1. Make a slurry with some must and add it in secondary?
2. Add it as powder using either a hops canister or fine nylon mesh bag?
3. Just dump it in and figure out how to clarify it after all is said and done.

I have researched the forum and found many recipes and opinions on making a chocolate mead with litle on how best to add the powder.

I would be interested In hearing your thoughts.

I have used cocoa powder in my chocolate cherry wine. My method was to mix is thoroughly in some warm water with a whisk or blender, then add that to the primary. I think that that would work in the secondary as well.

The solids will settle out, but cocoa powder also contains a small amount of cocoa butter fat, depending on the brand. It will tend to deposit itself on the sides of the carboy. Not a problem, since after you rack it a time or two on the normal schedule, it will be out of the way.

@Raptor99, thanks for the reply. Was leaning towards that and based upon your experience likely will create a chocolate syrup "slurry" and add it to secondary.

My preference for chocolate flavors in a mead is to boil about 4 oz of chocolate malt (roasted barley) per gallon. The barley is so well roasted that it will produce no fermentable sugars but the chocolate flavor is very pronounced. Since you strain the grains before you add the "tea" to your honey, there is no particulates to create any problem down the road and all the flavor is in the liquid.

My preference for chocolate flavors in a mead is to boil about 4 oz of chocolate malt (roasted barley) per gallon. The barley is so well roasted that it will produce no fermentable sugars but the chocolate flavor is very pronounced. Since you strain the grains before you add the "tea" to your honey, there is no particulates to create any problem down the road and all the flavor is in the liquid.
I just bought some chocolate malt, so I want to try this!

Do you use whole grains of chocolate malt, or does it need to be milled? Since I don't make beer, I wasn't sure about that.

Great question. I always ask the LHBS to mill any grains I buy. They do need to be milled and the LHBS will know how fine to mill 'em if you tell them how you want to use them.
Thanks. They asked me if I wanted it milled, and I said yes. I'm not sure about fine vs. other types of milling. But I did tell them that I wanted to use in in mead.

Back