How many brews do you plan ahead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesanch

Reaction score
I've only done extract kits before, but I'm planning to move ahead into all grain. I was going through a recipe I want to try and found all the ingredients from a single online vendor. It looks like my LBS doesn't have the variety of hops that I'm looking for. However, the shipping charge is a little steep for a single order. So, how many brews do you guys plan and by ahead of time? What system have you guys developed? Do guys buy in bulk?

I just keep looking for new recipes that raise my interest, so many out there and so few carboys and kegs.
I return to recipes I like, and experiment around every other brew. I usually buy the ingredients the day before I brew as I like to support my LHBS. And shipping cost kind of kills the savings here.

I planned 9 brews ahead for my bulk ordering this summer. I tend to tweak the recipes and some of them drop out and are replaced, so I ordered stuff so I had breathing room to change recipes. For me, I have to plan ahead a bit because mail order from the States takes 2 weeks to get here for hops. For stuff from Belgium it takes 3 weeks because they only mail to my area once or twice a month. And for grain, I have to drive to a neighboring country to buy it (though found a local supply now I may try, but the stuff I drive to get is tasty Belgian malt, so might not rush to the local supply.).

4 batches in here in Croatia and have the next 6 recipes planned out at the moment, though they will definitely be tweaked a lot.

I plan 8 brews ahead and normally have ingrediants for 2 batches ahead. Shipping is free if you join Austin Homebrew club.

For me, I have to plan ahead a bit because mail order from the States takes 2 weeks to get here for hops.

Have you tried any of the German or UK suppliers? I find the shipping costs from them to be high because I can get the stuff here in Ireland, but its got to be easier than getting it from the US.

Oh and to stay on topic, I've got my next 3 brews planned and then the 4th one out will be a repeat of my last SNPA clone since I need a steady supply of that one ;)... the real thing is too pricey out here.

Have you tried any of the German or UK suppliers? I find the shipping costs from them to be high because I can get the stuff here in Ireland, but its got to be easier than getting it from the US.

I use Brouwland for a lot of stuff, in Belgium. They're the best online site that I've seen in Europe. I've looked at the Grain and Grape in the UK too but haven't ordered. I use Brouwland for salts, iodophor and basic supplies as well as some hops like Challenger and EKG. I don't buy grain online.

From the States, I ONLY order hops. And I haven't seen a lot of those hops in Europe at all and suspect that even if I did, they'd not be in as good of shape as if I order straight from the States. And for me, ordering hops, it's usually under $20 for shipping from the States which isn't so bad. I've ordered Simcoe, Columbus, Palisade, Amarillo, Crystal hops and other such hops from that States.

If you have links to places you like to shop online, though, please share. Always curious to see what places have.

I always have at least 3 or 4 recipes ready to go. Sometimes more if I've gotten grain recently.

Recently I have planned/ordered three batches ahead. Keeps shipping costs down, and isn't too hard to plan out.

I usually plan a year in advance. I keep an inventory of grains & yeast available so I can brew almost anything I want; Ale, Lager, light, or dark. Closest LHBS is 2 hours away so I buy most of my inventory online. :mug:

Right now, I've 4 beers planned with the ingredients I have on hand, except for a Kolsch yeast. All plans are subject to change, of course!

Latest posts

Back