How long should I Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhart94949

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a Bells Two Hearted clone on December 6th, I left it in the primary until the 23rd, little more than two weeks (17 days to be exact). I racked to a secondary and added an ounce of centennial pellets. How long should I wait before bottling/kegging? I usually follow the 1-2-3 method, 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle condition, but I have been skipping the secondary if dry hopping isn't necessary and just leaving it alone for around 4-5 weeks then kegging/bottling. Probably to much info, guess I just need to know how long to let the hops sit when dry hopping?

I like to dry hop for 5-7 days only and calculate my packaging day to be done when the dry hop period finishes. If you keg, you can dry hop in the keg and just leave them in there until the keg kicks.

I also will typically use no less than 2 oz of hops when I dry hop, most beers will get 3-4ozs.

I agree that the amount of hops seemed a little low but I just followed the recipe given, AIH clones have always came out pretty good for me.

But thanks I think I will let it sit for 5 days then bottle half and keg the other half.

I agree that the amount of hops seemed a little low but I just followed the recipe given, AIH clones have always came out pretty good for me.

But thanks I think I will let it sit for 5 days then bottle half and keg the other half.

Why not just keg and then bottle off the keg what you want, simplifies the process a bit:)

I just started kegging, I don't want to spouts like a tard but what is the process for bottling off the keg? If I get carbonation where I want in the keg is it as easy as filling bottles and capping them?

I usually dry hop for 3 days at warmer temperatures (65F+). I forget exactly where I read it, but keeping the temperature on the warm side helps to volatilize the compounds to have the grassy, vegetal aroma/flavor. I used to go for 5-10 days, at fridge temps in the keg, and dry hop while I was also carbonating. I had issues with getting grassy aromas and flavors, especially when using larger amounts of pellets, or any amount of leaf hops. Shorter contact time and higher temperatures seem to have resolved that issue for me.

I like to dry hop for 5-7 days only and calculate my packaging day to be done when the dry hop period finishes. If you keg, you can dry hop in the keg and just leave them in there until the keg kicks.

+1
Dry hop for 5-7 days, cold crash and keg is the way I like to do it.

There's a research article in a thread somewhere indicating that dry hopping for as little as 24 hrs is sufficient to extract all the aroma. I personally dry hop for 2-3 days at the end of primary before cold crashing. Typically it's cold crashed for 3-5 days before packaging.

I generally go about 5 days with dryhopping at room temperature, but have gone as short as 3 days and as long as 7 days recently with very similar results. My preference is still about 5, though. It seems to maximize the hops aroma, but without any grassy flavors or fading of the aromas.

There's a research article in a thread somewhere indicating that dry hopping for as little as 24 hrs is sufficient to extract all the aroma. I personally dry hop for 2-3 days at the end of primary before cold crashing. Typically it's cold crashed for 3-5 days before packaging.

I actually read that 24 hours is sufficient in the last issue of BYO. So I was thinking about trying it in my next batch. I'm brewing Edworts Hause Pale Ale, but I upped the hops a bit and I'm dry hopping a bit too.

Latest posts

Back