how long once milled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
I'm hoping to do my first all grain batch next month.
My plan is to purchase the grains and have them milled on a Saturday then brew 3 days later on a Tuesday.
If my brewday gets canceled by rain how long is the milled grain good for?
Thanks,
Mike

I've read people have stored crushed grain and used it months later and it was just fine. Just keep it sealed and dry.

i've used grains that were 2 months old. They were specialty grains, carastan 30-37. I didn't see any ill effect at all. I had them in a plastic bag, in a ziploc in the fridge.

I have heard the 'two week' number as well. I think if you keep them cool and dry they are fine for much longer but like any recipe - beer or otherwise- fresher is better.

I brewed at a local brewpub in San Diego recently and they buy all their grain in bulk and pre-milled. They store it indoors at room temperature for long periods of time (probably months). So I wouldn't worry about it at all. Like everybody else said...just keep it dry.

I just brewed a porter with grain I milled back in January. I imagine it would have been better fresh, but it turned out good. I smelled it first to make sure it wasn't rancid or anything. I had it in a sealed container in the dark.

If stored properly, the enzymes will remain active for at least a year (coming up on the time to test 2 yr). HOWEVER, enzyme activity and taste are two different things. If it tastes/smells stale or rancid, don't use it. Of course, fresh is always best.

I brewed at a local brewpub in San Diego recently and they buy all their grain in bulk and pre-milled. They store it indoors at room temperature for long periods of time (probably months). So I wouldn't worry about it at all. Like everybody else said...just keep it dry.

Where is this??

Back