How long in secondary for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach

Reaction score
We made up a batch of cider on the wife's antique grinder/press about 4 weeks ago. The original gravity was 1.066 and airlock activity began on the third day after pitching (totally dry pitch, no starter). Bubbling became vigorous, but no smell. After a week, the SG was 1.045. After 2 weeks, the bubbling pretty much stopped. We racked it into a secondary on the 15th after a few days of no discernable bubbling in the airlock, and after racking we measured the SG at 1.000. It tasted good, but a bit "bitey" so we decided to let it sit for a while to mellow and clarify.

It's sat for a little over a week since then, and still looks exactly the same. I haven't taken a SG reading or tasted it since racking to the secondary since we're trying to just let it settle and clear. My question is when does a cider normally clear? I figured it would clear once the yeast activity was done, and the yeast hadn't made any noise for a while now. Will it clarify it we let it sit long enough? Is it possible that certain ciders never clear? We're in no hurry to drink it, but we don't want to tie up a fermentor for another month if we don't have to and I'd like to have a nice clear cider to bottle. Is there a way to encourage the cider to clear?

From what I've seen, it may take two to four weeks to clear. You may be able to speed things up by 'crash cooling' it in the fridge (or outside depending on your temp.) I think this still takes a couple of days.

Another option for clarity is to filter it.

What ever you chose, remember that the yeast that is still suspended is still working on the byproducts from the original fermentation, and will continue to mellow the flavor/bite if you just leave it in the secondary and let it do it's thing.

I wonder if some gelatin would work. I've got a batch of cider sitting now that has been in the primary for two weeks and I'm planning on letting it sit for another two to three weeks hoping it will clear but I'd like to have it bottled and carbonated for Christmas.

EDIT: My research says "no"...LOL. I think I'll just rack it over (also concerned about headspace as I stupidly did 5 gallons in a 6.5 carboy)

Back