How long do i refrigerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbens6

Reaction score
I SWEAR i read somewhere on here that bottled homebrew should spent 48 hours in the cooler prior to drinking, something to do with colder fluids being able to carbonate better..

Am i crazy or is this true?

It's not necessary as long as they have been given the full three weeks to carbonate at room temperature. One thing that cooling longer might do is improve clarity of the beer by causing more yeast dropping out of suspension because of the added time.

Many of us here recommend that AFTER a minimum of three weeks at 70 degrees, you fdige your beer a minimum of 48 hours...but in reality if you want to eliminate chill haze you should chill them a minimum of 1 week...

But you need 70 degrees to carb them up first...or longer if it's colder.

So assuming bottle conditioning is done properly, the time in cooler is really only about temperature NOT carbonation/saturation.... i must have mis read.... thanks for clearing that up!

Many of us here recommend that AFTER a minimum of three weeks at 70 degrees, you fdige your beer a minimum of 48 hours...but in reality if you want to eliminate chill haze you should chill them a minimum of 1 week...

But you need 70 degrees to carb them up first...or longer if it's colder.

huh, i always thought chill haze was forever. if i cool my beer down for a week the chill haze will disappear?

i do not know if i could leave it alone that long... i do have a tiny fridge downstairs for my hops, maybe ill do a test for a week or two. i can prolly squeeze a sixer in there.

Chilling does help with CO2 saturation, but if it's been carb/conditioned the proper time it will be fine overnight - long enough to get cold, it does seem to pour a better head after 48 hours though.

Nosmatt, try it. I also noticed that a week or more in the fridge does often seem to reduce or eliminate chill haze.

Back