How long can I store My Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarySBrewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone, OK So in past I have pretty much consumed what I have brewed in pretty short order as I wasn't brewing a lot. Well I got on this kick this winter to brew every weekend, sometimes 2 batches per weekend. And I have been building a kegorator w/glycol chiller etc which has taken some time and money. Well I have 4 kegs in basement with 4 cases, all different recipes so I can compare bottle with keg flavor differences. My basic questions is. How long can I store beer in basement without being in a fridge before I need to worry about off flavors or spoiled beer? Any advise is welcomed advise. I know I should just relax and have a homebrew, in fact I have some of my first batch of Belgian bottles in fridge. Going to have one now. Thanks everybody.

It depends on the beer.

A heavy RIS or Barleywine can go year or more. An IPA will lose it's hoppiness rather quickly.

What beers do you have in mind?

BTW: You can brew all summer esp. where you are. I ferment in my un-AC'd garage with a modified swamp cooler here in Houston, TX. One (sometimes two) frozen 2L coke bottle(s) a day keeps my carboys around 70 degrees.

Hi everyone, OK So in past I have pretty much consumed what I have brewed in pretty short order as I wasn't brewing a lot. Well I got on this kick this winter to brew every weekend, sometimes 2 batches per weekend. And I have been building a kegorator w/glycol chiller etc which has taken some time and money. Well I have 4 kegs in basement with 4 cases, all different recipes so I can compare bottle with keg flavor differences. My basic questions is. How long can I store beer in basement without being in a fridge before I need to worry about off flavors or spoiled beer? Any advise is welcomed advise. I know I should just relax and have a homebrew, in fact I have some of my first batch of Belgian bottles in fridge. Going to have one now. Thanks everybody. I also posted this in Kegging/Bottling section so I apologize if that is being too pushy for answers. I just figure it fits both sections:tank::tank::tank:

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

Some beers are meant to be drunk young, some need to be aged. Some will peak and go down hill, but they won't necessarily go bad, they'll just be different.

Revvy said:
We have a double thread here?

Of course, beer spoils within 25 minutes of putting it into "storage," time is of the essence. It is imperative that one never lets beer get "into storage." duh

I thought you, of all people, would know this

Thanks for all the feedback, even if some of it is contradictory, And I am really sorry about the double thread, totally my ignorance of site protocol, just looking to get max feedback. I do thank all of you for your experience and help. If ever in NJ, drop me a line and I'll make sure beer is cold.

GarySBrewing said:
Thanks for all the feedback, even if some of it is contradictory, And I am really sorry about the double thread, totally my ignorance of site protocol, just looking to get max feedback. I do thank all of you for your experience and help. If ever in NJ, drop me a line and I'll make sure beer is cold.

Responses in the other thread are correct, my smart ass response is due to the double post. Sorry for the confusion

Back