How important is a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
I just learned that I will get off of work early today. I think I will brew some beer.

However, I have no starter made, and the brew I have lined up would be from a White Labs vial.

Should I:

1) Blow off brewing until Sunday because I don't have a starter made? (which, I will probably brew Sunday either way, so I am missing a brew day if I do this)
2) Make a starter first thing when I get home, and then pitch the yeast when the brewing is done (about 8 hours later)?
3) Pitch with no starter, RDWEHB?

They say a starter is hitting its peak pitching period around 8-12 hours after you put the yeast into it. So, I vote #1.

Uh, what does "RDWEHB" stand for? Relax, Don't Worry, ______ Home Brew..."

Enjoy. My apologies to Papa.

I guess that I am too focused on how much I would enjoy one of my Porters right now.

Well, as crucial as a starter can be, I would never give up an opportunity to brew! I'd go ahead and brew and not have a starter, and just wait it out.

One thing I do now is to always have a stash of dry yeast in the fridge. It keeps for years, and I can do an impromptu brew session. It's also great to have on hand just in case I need it if my liquid yeast fails to finish for some reason. At $.99/pack, it's worth it.

I have 3 month old milk I will sell you. You can buy it today, I am sure it is good.

Just kidding. Assuming the yeast is nearly 100% viable, you may get away with it if you ensure the wort temp and O2 levels are proper, and that it is an ale. Listem to Jamil's podcast on scottish ales, he actually reccommends making his scottish 60 (which is a smller beer than yours) without a starter as long as the above assumptions are correct.

i would definetely not pass up a brew day and just use the vial, make sure you get a lot of O2 int he wort before pitching. if it doesnt start up within 2-3 days, i would pitch some dried yeast. then brew another batch on Sunday!!

Ryan_PA said:
Just kidding. Assuming the yeast is nearly 100% viable, you may get away with it if you ensure the wort temp and O2 levels are proper, and that it is an ale. Listem to Jamil's podcast on scottish ales, he actually reccommends making his scottish 60 (which is a smller beer than yours) without a starter as long as the above assumptions are correct.

I suspect some of that may have to do with wanting some ester production in the 60. I'd brew, but days like this are made for dry yeast.

If you're going to be brewing Sunday either way, why not make a starter for that batch, then just brew something using dry yeast today?

I don't know much, but everyone who follows the advice given here seems successful.. logistically, dry yeast today, starter on sundays wort would be the best route.

Back