How do you use a conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teewinot

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for what is probably an elementary question.

In regard to the use of a conical fermenter. I think I understand that you can take yeast off with the bottom valve, and transfer the finished beer with the top valve. But in what order? Do you drain fermented beer first and take the yeast last, or vice versa? Does it matter? Is there anything special one needs to know or do when using a conical fermenter?

Cheers! :mug:

I often wonder the same but then again I am not getting a conical anytime soon (unless I miraculously land a job good enough to buy a house) so it really can be in the backburner for now

Generally, you would drain the yeast and trub off using the bottom valve, then let the beer condition a bit more, you can then repeat the process or transfer the beer into your kegs or bottles using the top valve.
If you have a pressure fitting for the fermentor, you also could naturally carbonate in the fermentor.
Conicals are great, expensive but great!

I thought the top valve was just for taking samples during fermentation, and you'd use the bottom valve for transferring to keg after dumping the trub?

Does it matter?

-Joe

I thought the top valve was just for taking samples during fermentation, and you'd use the bottom valve for transferring to keg after dumping the trub?

Does it matter?

-Joe

The Blichmann fermentors come with a "rotating racking arm" This feature allows you to start your siphon with the racking arm horizontal, and rotate it slowly downward until you just start picking up yeast sediment.
But, you can transfer from the bottom valve if you don't have a rotating arm.

On our 1 bbl fermentors, we have always reclaimed our yeast from the bottom valve, then after settling, kegged from the top valve. What is left in the lower part of the conical can be drawn into a pitcher and poured into the keg or just pitched. Alot of times that last gallon will still have yeast/trub in it so we will thow it in a growler or jug to condition separately.

Back