How do you tell a guy his beer SUCKS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would tell the guy that the beers were "okay", but could be improved upon. I'm assuming that he gave them to you to try because he knows that you're a fellow homebrewer and can offer him feedback and advice. I would ask him about his process, how he is controlling fermentation temperatures, etc and then offer him some constructive feedback that will help him to improve his beer. I would not insult him and tell him that they sucked - maybe they did, but that's just going to discourage him from trying to improve them.

I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread but, I would handle it like a BJCP judge, judge it unbiased, offer suggestions for improvement, point out flaws, etc. But I never hold back on a score sheet and when I enter contests I expect the judges to rip me up if my beer is wack, because I want that honest unbiased unwavering feedback....

If he can't handle the constructive criticism then he shouldn't ask for peoples opinions.

For know honestly point out the largest flaws while giving suggestions on how to fix the most pressing issues. It's buttery and tastes green; perhaps you could try letting it sit in the primary for three weeks before bottling next time. It's got a bit of a vinegary flavor to it which makes me think it has some sort of infection; how did you clean and sanitize?

Also mention that your first beer sucked even if it didn't

Simply tell him they are not good at all and tell him why they are that way . Perhaps you can offer up your brewing knowledge and some help so he can make a good beer . How ever I would make sure that the beer is actually bad and not just something you do not like . But being a kit it is likely that it is just not that great but they are usually not real bad tasting just lacking in hops and malt and balance and then too much silly instructions like ferment 3 days then bottle and drink it in a week.

Be honest and don't be mean about it. Constructive feedback should be offered and should be well taken if he really cares about his beer. If he does really care, I would think that he would be open to know what he's missing.

I actually emphasize, with every beer I serve, "I have commercial beer in the fridge, please, be honest, if you don't like this, tell me what you don't like and feel free to drink something else." I would gladly be open to hear what people thought were a fault with my beer.

Well I would say that after reading the Sam Adams thread that you just compare his beer to Sam Adams .

MarcusKillion said:
Well I would say that after reading the Sam Adams thread that you just compare his beer to Sam Adams .

Not to further a 5 year old thread....
But...
This would not work with me since I like Sam Adams beers!

Die thread die.......2 cents
I would ask the brewer for his recipe and notes. You could say I want to see what style you were going for and technique you used. then say "oh, I see why this is sweet", a+b+c = sweet beer. You don't have to say you hate sweet beers. That is an editorial response.

I'm a new brewer. I took my first AG to the club yesterday. A French saison. It got rave reviews. I kept telling them to be honest. I made some mistakes so I know it wasn't just right. As a newby I want to be told what's off or what it should taste like.

I vote honesty if he's trying to get better at it. If he's doing mr beer kits. Tell him it's fine and go on. If he's going to get butt hurt about it there's no use in hurting your friendship over beer.

I'm a new brewer. I took my first AG to the club yesterday. A French saison. It got rave reviews. I kept telling them to be honest. I made some mistakes so I know it wasn't just right. As a newby I want to be told what's off or what it should taste like.

I vote honesty if he's trying to get better at it. If he's doing mr beer kits. Tell him it's fine and go on. If he's going to get butt hurt about it there's no use in hurting your friendship over beer.

honesty, unless you might hurt their over sensitive feelers...

if I could go back to '08 when this thread was relevant: "Feelers be damned. Be honest."

you never know, Maybe he knows there bad, and is looking to see if you will give honest feedback of his brews in the future.

I when I am offering constructive criticism, I like to ASK the person what they think of their own brew. It's easier to have the conversation if they already know it has problems.

I personally like critisim. But really the people I gave my beer to are only BMC drinkers so, I dont think their opinion totally counts.I was happy to hear that some of my beers they did like when they are just use to light beers, like my wheat beer for example. Although I still can learn something from feedback. An example would be a pale ale I made,if they said its too bitter and hoppy when I made it mild to begin with and only used like 25 ibu's or something then I would possibly consider that their palate is not adjusted to drinking pale ales or ipas. That and I realize most of the people Im around(mainly family anymore) are not beer connosiers like me that like most beer styles and buying craft beer,making beer and appreciating good beer.

I would throw the bottles away and pretend you never got them. If he asks, tell him they fell out of the car and broke on the driveway. Then tell him you just bought a case of bud light. He'll realize you don't have any taste anyway and move on to some other dude.

Like this-"yo homie dis shiz sucks mang, you make me drank dis agin imma pop a cap in yo azz". Or some variation.

Just be honest. There is no need to sugar coat things if he's your friend and asking for feedback. Maybe he actually does suck at brewing and should be doing something else, it's not the end of the world.

He won't be able to make that decision unless you give him real feedback and the chance to fix the issues before they become ingrained into how he makes beer.

Nobody wants to hear that they've got an ugly baby. Tell him the truth, which is that it wasn't your style or that you prefer a different flavor profile. Don't tell him his beer sucks, even if that's your opinion.

Judging by the number of popular beers that many people hate, it's entirely possible that the guy brewed a perfect beer of a style you don't like.

I brewed a Belgian tripple, I wasn't impressed. Gave several bottles away and a long time brewer complimented me on how I'd nailed the style perfectly. I guess I just don't care for tripples.

Now I'm thinking my homebrew sucks and no one has been honest!
I think that every time I hand mine out.
Nobody wants to hear that they've got an ugly baby. Tell him the truth, which is that it wasn't your style or that you prefer a different flavor profile. Don't tell him his beer sucks, even if that's your opinion.

Judging by the number of popular beers that many people hate, it's entirely possible that the guy brewed a perfect beer of a style you don't like.

I brewed a Belgian tripple, I wasn't impressed. Gave several bottles away and a long time brewer complimented me on how I'd nailed the style perfectly. I guess I just don't care for tripples.

"You know buddy, it's good! don't get me wrong here. it's just... well... not my style. are your feelers ok? would you like some ice cream? don't cry..."

Tell the truth - but after telling him the short comings of each, offer a recommendation on how to fix it. If you lie and/or give him a vague response, he'll think he's on the right track and keep doing what he's doing. If you just slam him he ight get discouraged and stop. But constructive criticism with pointer to fix the problems will be appreciated - at least in the long run. Not easy no matter what you do.

And BK - no worries brah - ivenever had a bad beer from you. Honest. Now if we ever do a trade, that opinion is subject to change :D

I think that every time I hand mine out.

"You know buddy, it's good! don't get me wrong here. it's just... well... not my style. are your feelers ok? would you like some ice cream? don't cry..."

Or "WTF are you asking me? Do I look like Sam Adams?. I got a buzz from it, it didn't make blind, and it didn't give me the sh!ts, so, it's good beer."

I figure anyone who asks me for my opinion on a beer isn't looking for a professional review.

Or "WTF are you asking me? Do I look like Sam Adams?. I got a buzz from it, it didn't make blind, and it didn't give me the sh!ts, so, it's good beer."

I figure anyone who asks me for my opinion on a beer isn't looking for a professional review.

I figure they're asking for an honest review.

I have a hard time gaging the criticism. It's wise to consider the source. If a person is looking to you as an experienced brewer, they likely want honesty, tempered with encouragement. If the person has simply shared something they created, and are proud to have done so... Choke it down.
When I offer my home brew to friends I expect some mixed feelings. Most of my friends are not craft brew lovers. Those who are, I am not looking for them to be overly critical. If I ask somebody who brews, I am hoping for some constructive advice delivered with a thank you for sharing.
Sharing your home brew is like sharing your playlist, people should be polite.

I have a hard time gaging the criticism. It's wise to consider the source. If a person is looking to you as an experienced brewer, they likely want honesty, tempered with encouragement. If the person has simply shared something they created, and are proud to have done so... Choke it down.
When I offer my home brew to friends I expect some mixed feelings. Most of my friends are not craft brew lovers. Those who are, I am not looking for them to be overly critical. If I ask somebody who brews, I am hoping for some constructive advice delivered with a thank you for sharing.
Sharing your home brew is like sharing your playlist, people should be polite.

Best answer so far.

Guy's rule #1 - "Don't be a d(ck"

I recently got back into brewing, was out for 10 years, and started all grain this year. I've brewed 5 beers since I've been at it and everyone hates them ha... I even had one person say it tastes like glue. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I was at it in the past I didn't get too many haters, and I'm not doing much that's different, cept for all grain. It's odd but I honestly think, except for one, they turned out ok. The cascade smash I did I love but everyone hates with a passion. Just means I have more to drink I guess ha.... I think it's good to get bad feedback but it's also dependent on who's drinking what.

Assuming you are giving them to a good group of people you may be suffering from a bit of denial if everyone hates the beer you make. I've certainly had picky people not like some kinds based on taste, but I would say on the whole most people really like them. You may want to ask for more specific feedback to see what it is that people don't like.

If anyone needs a black labeled beer to make your home brewed beer taste better, give me a shout. I've got 50 bottles of Scull and Cross bone Pumpkin Spice Porter that would turn a drunk into a sober evangelist. It was my first brew made last month and makes stagnated pasture pond water taste like a brew from heaven. I promise you, one sip of my beer, then a chaser of yours to compare taste with, will cause the person that is tasting yours to be begging for more.

Assuming you are giving them to a good group of people you may be suffering from a bit of denial if everyone hates the beer you make. I've certainly had picky people not like some kinds based on taste, but I would say on the whole most people really like them. You may want to ask for more specific feedback to see what it is that people don't like.

The dudes I hang with drink very different beers than me. I love ipas, and good beer vs. vanilla flavored and nasty beers they drink... Might be some of issue. I've had some good responses but not a lot. Hell, it doesn't bother me too much... I am mostly brewing for me to drink it, less they like it the better. They do
all do love the cider I make and since that's cheap and easy I have been making a ton. They even bring their junk over sometimes and leave it, when in a pinch I'll suck it down. So win win ha...

From the sounds of the OP, there may be multiple things that are wrong with his process, but I'd try to mention three to him: sanitation, sanitation, sanitation.

ask questions about the process and try to figure the problem without being direct.
Then as politely as you can first say something nice about it and then give your absolute best advice for improvment in the future.

i've learned that there is only one way to really know if someone likes a beer that i make...do they want another...although almost no one takes a second rauchbier, even if it is commercial

These are the rules I go by.

I try not to offer unsolicited opinions or advice. A thank you is always in order though.

If someone asks a general question, they get a general answer - in the most positive light possible. eg "How did you like it?" gets a thank you and some sign of appreciation for what they offered. Beer is food, so I treat it the same way as if someone asked about the dinner they just cooked.

If someone asks a specific question, I take that as an invitation for honest discussion. I assume anyone asking about some specific aspect of brewing or tasting is looking to learn and improve.

Likewise, if I'm looking for honest feedback, I state that up front and ask more detail questions.

I've gotten little to no feedback on my beers given in person. Ones I've shipped are other story, but it seems people nearby are all too happy to take them but not so into telling me what they thought. I keep telling people that I am giving them beer to try, tell me honestly what they think, and return bottles. They follow one of three requests and that involves only the drinking part. :D

Back