How do I override the thermostat in a chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKenzieTap

Reaction score
I want to override the temperature of a chest freezer to maintain 36 to 37 degrees for a kegerator. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

I want to override the temperature of a chest freezer to maintain 36 to 37 degrees for a kegerator. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

New or semi old chest freezer?

If the latter, with an analog thermostat, you may be able to tweak the "coarse adjustment" on it so that your desired temp, is the max temp.

There's a thread on it in the DIY section I believe, and "coarse adjustment" might net it in a search.

I'm still lost in this new format!

or you can build your own with these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OXPE8U6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OXPE8U6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

which also requires some sort of box/enclosure, a recepticle, and some wiring. take a look in the DIY forum for "temp controller build" and there's literally dozens of examples.

but honestly, between what you spend on the parts vs what you can get from inkbird for a pre-built unit, i'm just buying them now when i need them, building is not worth the trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUT, if you have a "tweakable thermostat", it's worth the trouble, IMO.

I made the Wife's "cheese cave" this way, with the thermostat tweaked to hold around 50 degrees.

I would think it would be more of a PITA to spend, what I would think, days tweaking the thermostat to get it to the temp that you want. With the Inkbird, you just plug it in, set the temp and done.

For the OP, I just want to explain what that temp controller does.

Instead of plugging your chest freezer into the wall outlet, you plug the temp controller into the wall, then your chest freezer into the temp controller. You set your chest freezer to the coldest setting (not really that important, but the idea is that you want it to cool whenever the temp controller gives it power). The temp controller uses it's own temp probe that you place inside the chest freezer to turn power on/off to the outlet the chest freezer is plugged into.

Many temp controllers also have a heat outlet as well, which you could use to control something like a heating blanket or a light bulb inside a coffee can or a heater for reptile enclosures, etc..

Very simple and accurate.

Back