How cold is too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CervezaMaLa

Reaction score
I'm starting my keezer project and bought an Igloo 5.2 cf freezer because it has the low power 'refrigerate' mode...with hopes of not having to purchase an external thermostat/temp controller. I've had it running for about two days to test out the mode with a cup of water sitting at the lowest point. It hasn't frozen yet. I have a thermometer in it and the water is reading around 34-35 degrees. A different fridge thermometer is reading 30, but I don't have a bit of ice in the cup of water. So...how cold is too cold in the keezer? Do I risk it and run some kegs in there assuming they will be good? I know that a temperature controller isn't a ton of money, especially when compared to the overall cost, but it isn't cheap. I understand that it is colder than ideal, but is that an issue?

Appreciate your thoughts...

As long as nothing freezes it won't cause any problems. Serving temperature is mostly a matter of personal preference, although warmer temps can make foam control more difficult.

What do you consider cheap?

My keezer is controlled by an STC-1000 that I bought on Amazon for under $20 shipped. I set it at 38*F and have no worries.

What do you consider cheap?

My keezer is controlled by an STC-1000 that I bought on Amazon for under $20 shipped. I set it at 38*F and have no worries.
That's cheap enough if I feel like wiring (and have the know-how) but that's not really what my question is about...I might eventually do that, but want to figure out if I will have any issues with putting kegs at that temp.

As long as nothing freezes it won't cause any problems. Serving temperature is mostly a matter of personal preference, although warmer temps can make foam control more difficult.
Thanks...appreciate the quick feedback.

Interesting experiment. Tap or nudge a 30 degree liquid keg with anything and you will have an instant kegcicle! Don't ask how much beer I've lost to this fact.

Both thermometers settled out at 35 degrees at the bottom of the freezer. I think I'll go with it and either be happy with the results or have another reason I shouldn't be so stubborn...((fridge mode HAS to work!))

The water isn't showing any signs of freezing - and it froze pretty quickly when I had the freezer on the lowest 'freezer' setting before I realized that I didn't have it pushed all the way to the 'refridgerate' setting (have to turn the dial harder than expected).

I still have about a week and a half until my next batch is ready - which will be my first kegged batch. I'll do some more research on the STC-1000 in the meantime. I've got basic electrical experience (changing out ceiling fans/lights and swapping outlets) and the wiring diagrams on here make sense, but I don't have it all figured out yet. Hate the idea of buying the $70-80 Johnson control if the freezer I have will actually work as designed/advertised.

Thanks all.

As a quick follow up, the built-in fridge mode has been working just fine. I'm sure that in the future I will want to fine tune my temps more, but for my first keezer, I'm happy I tried this freezer out. The fridge mode holds the temp right around 40 degrees.

image.jpg

I am considering this freezer for a keezer build. Looks like you've had it about a year now, what are your feelings on it? I also like the "fridge mode" concept without the temp controller. How was the build? any difficulties? Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated. I have four 3 gallon pin lock kegs and a 5# CO2 tank, which I believe I should be able to fit at least 3 of the kegs and tank in the freezer. Thanks!

I just saw your post/question...sorry.

I'm assuming I'm too late, but if not...I love this keezer. Next build I will likely go with an actual temp controller, but didn't want to add it if I didn't (price for the freezer was the cheapest new one I could find). I haven't had any temp issues. Granted, it isn't perfect to style, but I have different styles in there anyway.

The temp ended up being closer to 40-45 in the end.

I now have two 5-gallon ball lock on the floor, and a three gallon on the shelf, along with the 5# CO2 (which I have to put on top of a small tupperware to keep the gauges out of the way).

Not too late, I've been doing a lot of research on different options. Thanks for the reply!

Mine controlled by a STC-1000 and I keep it between 29-34 degrees. Any warmer than that and I start having foam issues. I had to keep adjusting the temps to find out where it would stop the foam. Works for me and thats all that matters.

Mine controlled by a STC-1000 and I keep it between 29-34 degrees. Any warmer than that and I start having foam issues. I had to keep adjusting the temps to find out where it would stop the foam. Works for me and thats all that matters.

Try using longer lines. I've used one of the many keg balancing programs and found the 5'' was roughly what it suggested. I instead used 10'' (longer lines give more restriction and therefore a slower and less foamy pour). I do get a slow pour but no foaming issues whatsoever even when I serve at 45+. I can't imagine drinking good beer that freaking cold. Those are bud light temps man!

P.S. Also make sure you are using 3/16 tubing or smaller and beverage grade tubing. Do all of these things and there should be no reason to keep drinking icicles instead of beer.

http://www.calczilla.com/brewing/keg-line-balancing/

Try using longer lines. I've used one of the many keg balancing programs and found the 5'' was roughly what it suggested. I instead used 10'' (longer lines give more restriction and therefore a slower and less foamy pour). I do get a slow pour but no foaming issues whatsoever even when I serve at 45+. I can't imagine drinking good beer that freaking cold. Those are bud light temps man!

P.S. Also make sure you are using 3/16 tubing or smaller and beverage grade tubing. Do all of these things and there should be no reason to keep drinking icicles instead of beer.

http://www.calczilla.com/brewing/keg-line-balancing/

I have 10' of 3/16 beer line inside. If it gets close to 40 it'll foam like a bastid. I had 5 feet when I first got my kegerator and that was a mess. 10' and the Lower temp really seems to help. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421333134.829665.jpg

I have the danby version of this freezer same size and same features.
does every thing fit inside with out the wood skirt?
i've been considering buying bigger freezer for my meats and using smaller one for beer. but ive been considering party taps so every thing out of site, so open lid and grab tap to pour.

Are you using beverage grade tubing?

Yes I am. I changed it out this past fall when I put in a new keg. I'm going to start homebrewing again and I'll get some new line and see if that changes anything.

Back