How cold is it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately, we did NOT get much rainfall. We did see LOTSA melting yesterday, but by evening, the breeze kicked up and the temp dropped. So far, my cellar is still dry.

glenn514:mug:

Temps dropped real quick last night, with the wind just howling this morning. I had to bring the pork butt in yesterday because it wasn't cooking. Thankfully the kid doesn't have school AGAIN today, so I stuck it in the oven. Now I have to call her to have her mop it once in a while!

So I pulled out of the driveway carefully and as I started braking, the JEEP kept sliding across the road and nearly into the neighbors yard. I put it in 4x4 and crawled my way to work. There were icy spots and spots with traction. But you couldn't tell where they were until you hit the brakes.

I am so done with winter.

39F here,after thunder boomers yesterday afternoon. Was so dark in the middle of the day,I had my desk lamp on. Snow melting nicely with warmer temps the last couple days. Windy this morning,but no rain. *11:14am-wind's pickin up pretty hard. Def getting close to the begining of March. Blew extra stuff for junk day all the way back to the driveway,but the guy picked it all up.

I am in Dubuque Iowa today where at 15 degrees it is 70 degrees colder than at home. Add to that were 34mph winds. That kind of cold hurts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

^^^Yuppers, that wind was really blowing! I'm about 90 miles east of Dubuque, and it was quite cold here, also. By the middle of next week, our overnight lows will be back below zero. When will it end??? I am really, REALLY, R.E.A.L.L.Y looking forward to those two days of summer we'll have in late July!

Currently +07*F in Missoula. Got another 4" of snow yesterday, hopefully more snow now will mean less fire this summer.
Regards, GF.

We got a nice little respite last week - a couple days of 45, which was great. Some rain rolled in, which is the first precipitation in months that doesn't require shoveling. But now it's back to 20ish.

Spring is 29(?) days away, and pitchers and catchers just completed their first week of workouts.

The weekend was wonderful...LOTSA sunshine and almost normal temps. Today is the transition, however. Beginning tomorrow and for the rest of the week, our overnight lows will, AGAIN, be BELOW zero, with daytime highs in the single and teens. Those two days of summer we'll get in July will be awesome!

Currently 18*F & snowing. Been snowing all night, 12" possible by this time tomorrow. I'm not complaining, but I am getting kinda tired of having to shovel snow 2 or 3 times a day. Highway 12 is closed due to avalanche danger (ID side of the pass). I keep telling myself "More snow now means less fire this summer." I just hope it turns out to be true.
Regards, GF.

Sunny weekend but still pretty cold for this time of year. Looks like another week or more of unseasonably cold weather now.

I am getting cabin fever. Even some afternoon delight on Sunday didn't seem to help. I mean it didn't make things any worse either...

Ugh.

forecast.jpg

Well it looks like I'll be getting some payback for bragging about the weather down here. I almost had to turn the AC on this weekend but I'm off to prescott az, next week with lows forecast in the 20's.

I might have to leave the sandals at home.

Well it looks like I'll be getting some payback for bragging about the weather down here. I almost had to turn the AC on this weekend but I'm off to prescott az, next week with lows forecast in the 20's.

I might have to leave the sandals at home.

Well swing by Pima county then and have a pint while you are visiting out west. 81 here at the house. I am jealous of you folks with snow. I am new to the desert and after living in snowy places the heat sucks. I'll be heading north for summer work soon so life will be at 7k feet, but it will get plenty hot before I leave!

74ish and sunny in Clovis California. Jealous of people in the snow. We didn't even get a winter this year. It'll be 105 before I know it.

We're starting out at +7°F, with a high in the 20's. But...tonight's low will be -12°F, and Thursday night's low is predicted to be -17°F. Snow is scattered about the ten-day forecast, and a few more sub-zero overnight lows next week, too. We got into this pattern just after the New Year...and just can't seem to get out of it. And I do believe it's warmer in Alaska than it is here!

Yesseriee Glenn, it looks like it will be getting better here too! It was up to 4* here!

This whole weather thing is just wacko! We are currently at -5°F...and it's almost the end of February! The overnight low on Thursday will be somewhere around -12°F! Beyond that, we will still have overnight lows below zero, and highs only in the single digits and teens. Just wacko! Heard the other day that in some places, the frost is SIX FEET into the ground! That can cause all kinds of problems with municipal water systems.

Currently +06*F in the valley. Yesterday was a GREAT DAY! An afternoon high of 27* but almost no wind & not a cloud in the sky! I grilled a couple of ribeyes outside in a tshirt. I actually got a little sunburned due to all the sun reflecting off the snow. The steaks (and beer) were my reward for shoveling a foot of snow out of the driveway; I love Montana!
Regards, GF.

I am at -13* without windchill right now. Trying to get the house warmed up as we speak! (Wood stove)

This sucks! Man, I never had a problem with winter in general all my life, but we've had NO snowmelt this year, and the early winter and late spring is just pissing me off!

Supposed to get a couple of inches again today and my snowbanks are already near 8 feet high.

It's not even the snow. It's the cold and wind. Dam city hasn't plowed my street and there's a large drift from my driveway out into the street and the end of the street is deep with snow. Not a big deal for my Jeep or Durango, but I can't believe small cars are able to safely pull out into the cross road.

This sucks! Man, I never had a problem with winter in general all my life, but we've had NO snowmelt this year, and the early winter and late spring is just pissing me off!

Supposed to get a couple of inches again today and my snowbanks are already near 8 feet high.

It's not even the snow. It's the cold and wind. Dam city hasn't plowed my street and there's a large drift from my driveway out into the street and the end of the street is deep with snow. Not a big deal for my Jeep or Durango, but I can't believe small cars are able to safely pull out into the cross road.

Agreed! Half of our state has is running the cold water just to keep the pipes from locking up..we are getting charged our winterly average. Just think of all that water going down the drain that could be turned into beer! We have tons of snow as well..its going to be a very wet spring with the rivers up too. Which will suck for my fishing holes!

its so damn cold here that i dont even want to mill my grain in the garage.

Same here. Just walking out there to grab a few things ruined my afternoon. But I have to go do it or I won't be able to brew. The other option is to mill in the house and I'd really rather avoid doing that.

Right now it's sunny, but it's that wicked, lying, sunlight that makes you THINK it's warm out, when it's actually close to bitter cold.

Our knuckleheaded local weather prognosticators are having an absolute field day with all the temperature records that will be broken today and the next two days. I sure would like to sit down and have a looooong conversation with Al Gore, but I understand he's on the beach in Hawaii writing his next work of fiction! I've got an idea: KILL THE D@*N GROUNDHOG!!!

Saturday's and Sunday's snowfalls totaled about seven inches. Had the blower out both Saturday morning and yesterday morning. This morning??? Clear skies and TEN DEGREES BELOW ZERO! And we're into March!!! You know March...that's when this part of the country gets gob-smacked with about 12 inches of heavy, wet snow! I can hardly wait!

I just checked the ten-day forecast, and I saw NO sub-zero temps! Only ONE single-digit reading, and a couple of upper 30's! Of course, snow showers are scattered all over the ten-day, but no huge storms seem on the horizon. Maybe Mother Nature has finally kicked back, opened a homebrew, and is thinking warm thoughts!

Careful what you wish for, it's warmed up to 30*F here, with freezing rain/snow mix & plenty of black ice. I-90 is closed from St Regis to the ID border due to avalanches. 6 separate slides buried the westbound lanes (no injuries reported) & the danger was too great a risk on the eastbound side, so they shut it down & rerouted traffic along 135 to 200.
Regards, GF.

Beware the ides of March. ha.

Damn the Ides of March!

I'm a little concerned about the melt rate, though. Our yard floods a bit every year, but in general it's not too bad. But there are plenty of people along the river lowlands that will get flooded out if the snow we have all melts at one time.

I last year Grand Rapids had some pretty good flooding going on.

I can't wait for the cracks in the roads to settle down flat again. The humps were terrible on my way to Mount Pleasant last night! Rumor has it our city was planning a repaving for 2015 but with the cost of road repair and plowing it's been pushed back to 2017.

Yeah,same here. I hate Mondays esspecially. I have to drive all the way south of Oberlin to JVS to pick up my son to take him to his school bowling thing all the way in North Ridgeville,some 40 miles. Then pick him up. The roads going into Oberlin are like you described,plus Northern Ohio chuckholes. I feel orange barrel season will be coming soon...

Back