How can I get accurate measurements from a tank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmoor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am ordering several of these tanks for use in my brewery. I am getting two for each style of beer. One to ferment in and one for clearing/tax determination.
http://www.glaciertanks.com/Vertical%20Tanks.htm
vertical-tank.gif

Here is my question. How can I modify the tank to show me an accurate measurement of volume. Could I use a sight glass or would I risk sanitation issues? What would be another method I could use to make quick accurate measurements of how much fluid is in the tank after racking out of the fermenter?

You could always go with a float mechanism if you are gun-shy about using a sight-glass for sanitation reasons.

I guess I could make the sight glass removable. I could attach a ball valve and quick disconnect to the 1" racking port. Then connect the sight glass take my measurements and then close the valve and take off the sight glass. I guess then I would only need one sight glass for all of my tanks. I would just have to assume that the tanks are all close enough in tolerance to read the volume from that port.

I would think you'd want the sight glass to be removable no matter what, just so you can clean it. Even if the whole system is sanitary, you want to avoid cross contamination between batches. Instead of a quick disconnect use a tri-clamp mounted sight glass.

If the beer is cold enough you could use a couple of these smart strips to get an idea of the liquid level. You have to wipe the strip with hot water and the temp difference will show you the level.
http://www.micromatic.com/part-pid-SS100.html
Otherwise, a sight glass, properly installed, with sanitary fittings top and bottom (return to tank). could be sanitized.

You could use load cells to weigh the vats:

http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/sensotec/loadcell.asp

I don't know what would be involved in hooking them up and it may not be a practical solution. I've seen them in use for other processes, but not for brewing. It would be easy to calculate the volume based on the weight and specific gravity and the interface could probable be set up to do that for you. Maybe someone with some more expertise with load cells will chime in on this.

Would you think the tubing material would matter much? Could I get away with clear vinyl tubing or maybe just beer line tubing? The fluid in the tube will get dumped. The tanks for measuring will be in a cold room at low temps.

Keep it simple, go with a tygon sight gauge tube and swap out after each batch with cleaned and sanitized tube. Take dirty tube and use a bucket with pond pump to circulate cleaner then sanitizer through used sight glass tube for preparation for reuse. This is a popular low cost method even if you toss tubing each batch and start with new tubing each time.

You only need the sight glass on the Tax Determination Tank. You have to calibrate each TDT separately and the markings must be easy for anyone to see. You can use tubing from the bottom of the tank or from a sample port. It must be connected back into the top if you plan to keep it connected while under pressure.

If you look around at some wine tank suppliers, you should be able to find some sanitary sight glass fittings with sample ports built in.

Perlick does make a very nice sample valve that you can use with a zwickle to pull a sample of carbonated beer without foaming issues. The Zahm & Nagel carbonation tester is designed to work with the Perlick sample port.
Series1000.jpg

You could also connect sanitized clear hose to the outlet of the sample port when filling the tank to check the volume.

A great resource in Denver for anything stainless is Dairy Engineering They have lost of used tanks and fittings. They are certified sanitary welders. Very good people to work with.

From the interior pictures I can see a weld seam, you might consider having these tanks passivated before trying to put product in them. If you could find someone to electropolish the inside that would be even better, smooth passivated finish after polishing.

According to their website all seems and welds are sealed with FDA silicon. I am not sure how long that will hold up but I plan to keep an eye on it. I will inspect every few batches to make sure.

They claim they have many customers in the wine industry using them. I am getting 4 to start. Make sure they are going to work. Then buy more as needed.

Back