How broken is my regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilNuts

Reaction score
During my last brew session, we got a little clumsy and the CO2 tank fell over, twisting the collar open. I'm not sure if it was the fall, or the air blasting into the reg, but now the plate with the PSI measurements is bent across the top, and the needle no longer moves when I adjust the pressure.

It still "regulates" gas, but I have no way of knowing exactly how much pressure I am setting it to.

Has anyone else ever done this to a regulator? My questions are:

1) Is this something I can repair myself?
2) If so, what do I need to be aware of before attempting to fix it? Will the regulator need to be calibrated in some way, etc?
3) If not, where would be the best place to bring this in order to get it fixed? Does anyone know roughly how much I should expect to pay?
:confused::confused:
Here's what it looks like right now:

reg1.jpg

reg2.jpg

Regulator may be fine but the gauge is toast.

Look for a new guage online, at a local welding shop, or beverage supply. Should only need a wrench to replace but the gauge "could" be thread locked in making it a real PITA to replace. Every reg I have had was thread locked, but lots of others here have not had that issue.

Ohhhh, I see what you're saying.... So I can just replace the gauge and not the entire assembly. That's only like $10. Awesome

Yep ;) And while you are at it you can get an easier to read gauge in the range you want! The ones picture above I use for my conicals and for force carbing....I wanted control in the <5psig range that the stock gauges didn't give.

Don't know anything about the claim that such a gauge is more accurate than one that only swings in one direction (seems unlikely) but losing half the resolution doesn't seem like a win...

Cheers!

I never use the vacuum side. most "cheap" gauges have a scale such as "Accuracy ±2% mid scale (Grade B)" where permissable error is almost double in the upper and lower 25% of the scale. Therefore using a gauge where the set point is in the center of the gauge is more accurate. I typically have these set in the 3-10psig range, that would be in the lower 25% of almost any pressure only gauge. At 3.5" and 0.25psig resolution they are easy to read and resolution wouldn't necessarily be higher on a mores expensive 0-15 psig gauge.

We can make beer sucks jokes

Back