How to Disassemble Chudnow J6 Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get a Chudnow J6 series nitrogen regulator apart to see if there is crud in it?

I took off the plastic part in front, which covers things up and accepts a wrench. Now I have a brass disk over a rubber disk, and they don't seem to want to come out. I could just pull, but I don't want to rip anything.

I have a whole bunch of those primary bodies in service and have rebuilt almost all of them over the years. You do pry off the metal ring that retains the diaphragm, which will likely be stuck to the body as well but should pull off. Under the diaphragm is the pin valve cartridge which screws into the body. That cartridge and diaphragm comprise the standard "rebuild kit"...

[edit] btw, the diaphragm itself has the small metal disk attached as shown and is replaced as an assembly.

1678472951549.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks. I saw those online, but it looks like Chudnow has decided to orphan this thing. Maybe I can find one that was ordered before they were discontinued

I managed to pop it apart before I got a response. I'm amazed at how nasty the machining is.

I'm ordering an open-box Taprite for $62, and I'll see if I can also get the diaphragm. I don't have time for this. Maybe Taprite will support the new one longer.

The Internet says a rubber part that has been hardened can be softened again with silicone spray. Maybe I'll try that after the new regulator gets here.

I'm pretty sure Matt at chicompany.net carries rebuild kits that will fit Chudnow regulators. This looks to be "generic" but it is identical to the kit I have on hand. You could contact them to verify...

https://www.chicompany.net/regulator-repair-parts-c-375_20_313_328/economy-rebuild-type-p-2170.html
This page has all of their rebuild kits...

https://www.chicompany.net/regulator-repair-parts-c-375_20_313_328/
There are other vendors showing similar if not identical kits. Example:

http://www.homebrewing.com/equipmen...regulator-cartridge-and-diaphram-rebuild-kit/
Cheers!

Thanks.

I have been looking all over, and I saw the things you are pointing out. The homebrewing.com link will give you a nasty surprise when you click it.

The ones at chicompany.com don't look like what I have, but I plan to email them anyway.

You mean the "Chudnow is now longer making this part" surprise?
They do show it in stock. If it turns out to be the right one I'd buy a couple/few :)

Cheers!

Oh. That's on me - I had clicked on the Buy It Now link and when it went to a detail page I figured "OK it's real" - it didn't dawn on me that it was a dead end.

Does your regulator have a hex-headed valve cartridge?

Cheers!

I believe homebrewing.com is nothing but a collection of referral links.

The cartridge in my regulator does not have a hex.

I emailed Chudnow, but my hopes are not high. I also tried Ebay.

I should be okay. I put a new tank on the regulator, and it appears to work when the pressure is high. The new regulator arrives Tuesday, so I'll just switch when it gets here. Then I'll try some of the rubber-softening ideas I saw on the web, and maybe the old regulator can be saved and then used later if I need it.

I stuck the new Taprite on my tank, and I made up a spray bottle of Dawn and water just for checking leaks. Looks good.

I am considering trying to revive the old diaphragm with silicone grease or spray, but the problem is that I will never know if it worked until I have a beer gas tank with very low pressure.

Back