how bad of a mistake did i commit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonteiro

Reaction score
i had everything going well... nothing was infected. i took my hydrometer reading today, and dumped the sample back in the bucket. everything was well sanitized. did i do tht much damage to it. even if its oxidized could such a small amount even effect the beer as a whole?

You should be fine as long as everything was well sanitized. I use to put samples back into the fermenter but now just do 5.25gal batches so that even with taking samples I still get 5gals. I made sure everything was clean and sanitized and can't say that I had any issues. I just don't do it anymore because I want to limit the chances of something going wrong. No worries though.

i had everything going well... nothing was infected. i took my hydrometer reading today, and dumped the sample back in the bucket. everything was well sanitized. did i do tht much damage to it. even if its oxidized could such a small amount even effect the beer as a whole?

It's a coin flip. I'll tell you that you're probably ok, just to make you feel better.

Have you read any of the beginners "bibles" like: www.howtobrew.com or "The Joy of Homebrewing."

Naa, I wouldn't be worried. It takes alot more than you think to really screw up your beer. Like you said, sanitation was good so chances are extremely minute that something will happen. Wouldn't worry much about oxidation either.....it's not like you threw the sample back in and shook the carboy around ;)

thanks guys, im only doing a 2.5 gallon batch and panicked because i felt like i was wasting my beer by taking a gravity reading.

I did that with my last batch, and if I had any infections it was delicious! And like they all said, you're most likely good

if fermentation had already started then chances are you're okay. Beer is strong stuff and if your good yeast has taken hold then you're good.

Back