How bad is this disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I think I wrecked my entire 10 gal batch of Dennys Rye IPA that was cold crashing in my new Morebeer heated/cooled conical.

I crashed the fermentor last night to 40 degrees, and left the blowoff hose in the bucket of sanitizer. Came out this morning to check the temps, and saw that the whole bucket of sanitizer was sucked into the fermentor because of the pressure change with the temp swing. Soooo, 4 cups of sanitizer is now inside with 10 gallons of Dennys Rye that was just about to get put into 2 kegs for a new years party.

I am guessing this beer is toast. Am I wrong? I mean, 4 cups of starsan in the beer sounds pretty bad.

Ugh!!! :(:(:(:(

4 cups of sanitizer isnt much diluted into 10 gallons. You're 4/164 cups so you're only about 2%. I think youre fine.

Thanks for the encouragement. Now I am worried not only because of the star san, but what else may have been sucked back into the fermentor that was in the star san. The bucket hangs off the side of the fermentor, so anything could just fall into it. Not to mention its in my wood shop. What an idiot I am!

Well whatever fell in will certainly be dead from the starsan but sawdust might add a slight tang :p

Its no rinse and food safe so if it tastes okay, I would probably drink it. I highly doubt there is an infection since its star san. Hey, dont fear the foam right, this is just like a ton of foam if you think about it :/

My question is how high up was the bucket of starsan?
In doing back-of-the-envelope math, I would think it's almost impossibly for the atmosphere difference inside to suck back that far / much if the bucket is on the ground next to the fermenter. Only if the level of the starsan is at or almost equal to the level of the wort inside would it be able to create that much suction.

My question is how high up was the bucket of starsan?
In doing back-of-the-envelope math, I would think it's almost impossibly for the atmosphere difference inside to suck back that far / much if the bucket is on the ground next to the fermenter. Only if the level of the starsan is at or almost equal to the level of the wort inside would it be able to create that much suction.

Your math is wrong! It will and often does happen!

OP, your beer is probably fine.

Don't tell anyone, who may be drinking this beer, that it happened. If you tell them, they will be able to taste it.

Is it worth sampling this (say 3 to 4 pints worth) before serving it to the party guests? If you have no adverse effects then its a good bet your friends will be okay too.

My grandmother was good friends with Julia Child who was quite adamant that one never admit mistakes or apologize for anything you've cooked. I think that that holds here.

Tell 'em you call it "Sanskrit Special" ale and that it's supposed to have a hint of tannin mouthfeel! :p You're paying homage to the StarSan and the sawdust, and no one else has to be the wiser!:mug:

I made the same mistake the first time I did the crash. The resultant Irish stout was fine, and it gave me fresh breath as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Back