Houston, we have take off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBrewhaha

Reaction score
All my beers usually take off around 24 hours. I am very happy with this but like most homebrewers i want better. What is the trick for a super quick strong fermentation? Ive heard of others taking off in as little as 3 hours...

OBrewhaha said:
All my beers usually take off around 24 hours. I am very happy with this but like most homebrewers i want better. What is the trick for a super quick strong fermentation? Ive heard of others taking off in as little as 3 hours...

I usually get fast take off's with 48+ hour starters by then there are millions of yeast ready to go to work.:rockin:

Well, what you're looking for is a quick start (read: the shortest time between pitching the yeast and seeing activity), but not necessarily a quick fermentation time overall.

The best way to shorten this period, called "lag time", is to use yeast starters. You can do a keyword search for "yeast starters" yourself and get plenty of in-depth info, but basically, they are small amounts of wort made a day or 2 before you brew, the yeast is pitched into them, and by the time your beer wort is ready for yeast, the cell count in the starter will already be at a level so as to minimize lag time. Note that this is only done with liquid yeasts. Dry yeast sachets do not benefit from starters, though you should rehaydrate them in boiled/cooled water for a few hours before pitching.

I make my starter the night before and it still takes 24+. Im not worried just curious to how I can get shorter lag time

I don't know what size starter you make now, but a larger one might help. Yeast nutrient also helps, as does keeping your beer at room temperature for a few hours or so before moving it to fermentation temperature (which, usually, is cooler). Fresh yeast also makes a huge difference.

Also, some strains just take longer than others, and there is nothing you can do about that.

TL

Latest posts

Back