can i leave water in my all in one for 48 hours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
hi i usually fill my aio the night before then either boil the water and turn it off and usually when i wake in the morning its a little cooler than strike and i can just add a little heat. or i just hit play in the mornign while i take the kids to school or somehting.

i want to brew saterday morning but im working all day friday and dont have time to fill it friday night.

stupid question but can i fill it thursday and leave it there until i brew saterday morning. its sealed so no dust , or dirt will get in there.

long contact time with stainless cant give off flavors right my kegs are all stainless.

and the only other thing i was concerned about was havign the pump parts wet for 48 hours.

am i over thinking this ?

I think it's a really good question, but also think you have nothing to worry about. It's all food safe and everything else.

If you wanted to be sure, fill it up and let it sit for 48 hours or longer and then afterwards grab a glass and sample the water.

I think it's a really good question, but also think you have nothing to worry about. It's all food safe and everything else.

If you wanted to be sure, fill it up and let it sit for 48 hours or longer and then afterwards grab a glass and sample the water.
thats a great idea i will try a glass first for some reason i didnt think of that.

I often get the mash going in the evening and finish the beer the next morning. Results in a very good efficiency if that's what you're looking for. Also makes for a quick brewday on the 2nd day.

I know this isn't exactly the question you're asking, but thought I'd provide it anyway.
thanks for this responce . do you mean you let it cool overnight or it mashes overnight? i saw someone else does this overnight mash thing and now that you mentioned it i might try it in the future.

the post i read i think he just brouhgt it to strike temp, doughs in and then let it go all the way down to 130's in the AM and had no probs with efficiency. it sounds very unconventional but it doesnt surprise me that it works. so many ways to make beer

thats a great idea i will try a glass first for some reason i didnt think of that.

thanks for this responce . do you mean you let it cool overnight or it mashes overnight? i saw someone else does this overnight mash thing and now that you mentioned it i might try it in the future.

the post i read i think he just brouhgt it to strike temp, doughs in and then let it go all the way down to 130's in the AM and had no probs with efficiency. it sounds very unconventional but it doesnt surprise me that it works. so many ways to make beer

I leave it running and pumping and heating at 150F overnight. I've done it several times with no issue. I used to get less than ideal efficiency, now it is awesome! There are beers that you might want to make that need to have lots of residual sugars left in there, and that you might mash at 158 for one hour. Those wouldn't be good for this overnight process.

Last edited:
The 1 thing I'd do if I was going to let it sit for a
day or 2 is to put 1/2 a crushed Campden tablet in it if you have noticeably chlorinated water. Not because I'd be worried about infection, since there's nothing to infect. More for chlorine and other junk, since it's sitting anyway.

I leave it running and pumping and heating at 150F overnight. I've done it several times with no issue. I used to get less than ideal efficiency, not it is awesome! There are beers that you might want to make that need to have lots of residual sugars left in there, and that you might mash at 158 for one hour. Those wouldn't be good for this overnight process.
so like a several hour mash? i only mash for like 60 to 90 mins. is there any downside to mashing for that long?

The 1 thing I'd do if I was going to let it sit for a
day or 2 is to put 1/2 a crushed Campden tablet in it if you have noticeably chlorinated water. Not because I'd be worried about infection, since there's nothing to infect. More for chlorine and other junk, since it's sitting anyway.
i get the campden since its sitting so long. but if any nasties get in there im just going to boil them off anyway. i was always under the impression that sanitiziation isnt that important for anything thats going to be boiled for 60 to 90 mins anyway.

lets say some mold gets in the water. i dont think that will have an effect on the 150 degree mash and certainly not in the 212 boil. but i gues mold could start to make some off flavors that could spoil the mash or survive the boil . but it seems unlikely to me.
most off flavors i assume are volatile and get boiled off. like dms for example

i get the campden since its sitting so long. but if any nasties get in there im just going to boil them off anyway. i was always under the impression that sanitiziation isnt that important for anything thats going to be
Yep, the campden is just for chlorine. No need to worry about nasties and mold. I've left water in mine for a day or 2 with no problems.

so like a several hour mash? i only mash for like 60 to 90 mins. is there any downside to mashing for that long?
No downside for many beer styles. The resulting wort is more fermentable by a few gravity points. So, if two brews both start with an OG of 1.050, the one that was fermented overnight might finish at 1.009, and the one that fermented for an hour 1.012.

That's great for lagers and high-gravity beers that you want to dry out. Also for west coast IPAs that depend on hop flavors and less on malt complexity and body.

I wouldn't even start to think it could be bad to leave the water a few days in the kettle. Mold will not have the time to form that quickly so unless there's a big chunk of mold in the ceiling ready to drop down into the water I wouldn't hesitate to leave it for 5 days even...
I don't have any problem with chlorine in my tap water and never used campden tablets for that reason, but as far as I've understood from others it's actually a good idea to fill up at least the day before if you do have that problem. Then the chlorine should evaporate naturally.

A related thought, have a glass of water sitting nearby for the same amount of time. Water right from the tap could be slightly aerated and potentially taste different than water sitting out a day or two.

I always fill up overnight, I don't think we have chlorine in our water but I do know from researching that we definitely have chloramine. I out stuff in to get rid of it and it can do the job overnight. It might be faster than that, I don't know, but seems that overnight can't hurt. I actually do it more for the time savings, so that on brew day I can focus on the actual brewing. It's nice to split part of the work off and get the prep done ahead of time. Especially if you have an all-in-one that can be set to turn itself on!

I wouldn't even start to think it could be bad to leave the water a few days in the kettle. Mold will not have the time to form that quickly so unless there's a big chunk of mold in the ceiling ready to drop down into the water I wouldn't hesitate to leave it for 5 days even...
I don't have any problem with chlorine in my tap water and never used campden tablets for that reason, but as far as I've understood from others it's actually a good idea to fill up at least the day before if you do have that problem. Then the chlorine should evaporate naturally.
hey thanks. i was never really woried about anything getting in there. its sealed and i always like to think its as clean as the first day i got it. i always clean it after use. although not with pbw just with steaming hot tap water after each use especially running the pump for several minutes. then as reccomended by the manufacturere, before use i fill it with 5 liters of water and bring it to a boil for several mintues to steam clean everything in there. and then dump it before filling with strike water, so it shouldnt start with anything in there hopefully.

in any case i really am not concerned with what does get in there prior to the boil. im a big fan of not worrying about anything thats going to get boiled. i really dont start to break out the starsan too much til im close to cooling wort. then i get paranoid.

heres a pic of my brewing buddy inspecting/flavoring the brew bag. he gets full reign of the brewery. i just boil anything he touches. lol

1705066987283.png

i swear i have thought of just hitting him with a couple sprays of starsan but im sure it wouldnt make a difference.

i was more worried about the parts being exposed to water for more than intended, like sediment build up or something . i am realizing now there shouldnt be an issue.

A related thought, have a glass of water sitting nearby for the same amount of time. Water right from the tap could be slightly aerated and potentially taste different than water sitting out a day or two.

I always fill up overnight, I don't think we have chlorine in our water but I do know from researching that we definitely have chloramine. I out stuff in to get rid of it and it can do the job overnight. It might be faster than that, I don't know, but seems that overnight can't hurt. I actually do it more for the time savings, so that on brew day I can focus on the actual brewing. It's nice to split part of the work off and get the prep done ahead of time. Especially if you have an all-in-one that can be set to turn itself on!
yeah theres actually a ton of air from the tap and it makes it taste better usually. what removes the chloramine i thought that had to be filtered.

chloramine in municipal tap is my biggest problem.

View attachment 838833

what removes the chloramine i thought that had to be filtered.

I'm not actually sure it can be filtered? I really don't know, but suggest checking before making an assumption.

Campden tablets, or in my case I bought a bag of sodium metabisulfite sometimes abbreviated here as na-meta, definitely takes care of it. I have some itty bitty measuring spoons for it.

Love the brew buddy!

We had some storms a while back where they were telling us to be prepared for no electricity and maybe no safe water. To prep for inclement weather, I filled my HLT with 10G of RO water and then forgot about it (nothing untoward happened in our area). For a couple weeks or so. Still, it made really good beer almost a month later. I hit it with the salts I normally use and heated it up and mashed in.

Back